Thread: MMM site - VA statistics

Post imported post

I'm of the mind set where I like to know my enemy and familiarize myself with their point of view, no matter how skewed or unreasonable.

So, I was checking out the million mom march site and found a link on the Virginia chapter page to view the deaths of children by firearms. Morbid, yes, but I wanted to see the statistics they had. It only goes back as far as 2005 but still interesting numbers.

http://www.kidsandguns.org/study/sta...s.asp?Virginia

In Virginia in 2005 1 child was killed with a firearm. They don't give any details so lets assume some drunk OC'er shot his own kid <sarcasm>. The kid in question was between 15-19 so I would think this is an unfortunatecase of improper storage/handling/education.

But the really interesting thing is that in the same year, 54 children between 0-19 were MURDERED! 45 between 15-19. Thus proving that while accidents happen (and they are tragic) not every gun is a ticking time-bomb of mayhem.

I sure wish this site gave details and if anyone has them I would be interested to see how many of the 'children' between 15-19 that were murdered were involved in gangs or illicit activity or were these all innocent youths struck down by senseless gun violence. And of the solved cases, did any of them involve CC permit holders or OC'ers or guns obtained through those 'gun show loopholes'. or were they the same criminals that would have guns with or without 'gun control'.

I'm not trying to be insensitive here but it just strikes me that when 54 times as many people are murdered as are accidentally killed, we should be calling for more guns in the hands of law abiding citizens that want to protect their children not this 'common sense gun control'/'stop the NRA' crap.

just my 2 pennies

edited to include weblink

Post imported post

I don't really think 15-19 classifies as a "child" anyway. Sure, the deaths are bad, but at that point you are into doing things that you aren't supposed to.

They skew the stats to push their POV. Like saying "XXXX children die a year from gunshots" but they include 0-19, where 0-15 is statistically insignifigant.

Post imported post

I wonder how many of those 'kids' were engaged in illegal behaviour.

The drug scene ain't pretty.

BTW- you can bet that 18 and 19 year old ADULTS were included in the stats to boost them.

IIRC, the stat of 'one child shot every day' included gang-bangers in their mid 20s.

There's lies, damn lies and statistics.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Write them and ask!

Post imported post

I was doing a little "opposition research" myself, reading the Brady campaigns anti-college-carry propaganda. (There's a link from the GMU Students for Concealed Carry forum.) The cover of their screed depicts a dorm room with guns, ammo, beer cans, and posters showing a gun-toting, trenchcoat-clad figure a la the Matrix or Dylan Klebold. Their implication is obvious:drunken college boys raised on video-game violence will shoot the place up.

They bewail how it would change the college atmosphere if students feared their fellow students because they might be armed. They predict all the usual horrors if the evil "pro-gun lobby" gets its way: more school shootings, drunken fights ending in gunfire, drunken accidental shootings, suicides, increased crime, etc. Then they express their outrage that the Utah legislaturehas allowed students to carry on campus, pre-empting the colleges' (and students') right to live in a defenseless, er, gun-free environment.

What piqued my interest was this question: Did all their horrific predictions come true when Utah allowed students to posses firearms on campus? I don't have the stats and I'm too lazy to go get them. But the mere fact that they didn't discuss the issue any further implies to me that no, none of the horrors came to pass.

Lies by omission are still lies.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Post imported post

It may have been this tragic story.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Mar10.html

It happened a few blocks away from me.

Post imported post

According to Brady and MMM, a 19 Year-old wanted felon and drug dealer, killed in a shootout with police during a robbery would be classified as a 'child death by gun violence.'

"Never pick a fight with an old spy. If he doesn't feel like fighting he'll just kill you."

T.S. Eggleston, DmAt, MSI - aka The Eggman
    www.TheEggman.com
    www.TheEgglestonGroup.com

"If You Can't Be Free, At Leat Be Irritating"

Post imported post

I'm just happy to see that they are not defining "child" as being someone up to 24 years of age like they did for years.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

TheEggman wrote:
    According to Brady and MMM, a 19 Year-old wanted felon and drug dealer, killed in a shootout with police during a robbery would be classified as a 'child death by gun violence.'
    Like the 17- and 18-year-old "children" who shot a Metro bus driver in Anacostia yesterday.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein