• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at UVU

Outsider

imported post

With Virigina Tech and other shootings this was a little scary for me because I was waiting for the Utah County SWAT team to show up for an "active shooter" situation. I decided that since I have my Utah Concealed Firearm Permit now that I would open carry for the first time on the Utah Valley University campus. I had business there, it just wasn't a drive thru.

I parked in the South-East Visitor Parking Lot. I was open carrying my Springfield XD in a Blackhawk Serpa Sportster Paddle Holster. Had one a polo shirt and jeans, so fairly nice looking.

Walked down to my advisors (Legal Department of the Woodbury School of Business) office to turn in some paperwork. Then walked about a little ways to One Stop to turn in some more paperwork. Sat down to fill out a worksheet and then asked a few more questions. Talked to the Residency Advisor in her little cubicle. Then went back to my advisor to show her something she didn't know about the worksheet I picked up at One Stop because she didn't know and kinda wanted to know since many students have to fill it out. Finally walking back to my truck and left.

I got a few sideways glances from a few students, a teacher, and staff at One Stop but overall it was fine. Not sure if anyone called 9-1-1 to report "Man with a gun" (MWAG) because I was there for about a half-hour and everything seemed fine.

I have to go back tomorrow to turn in more paperwork but rest assured I'll be OCing once again.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Outsider wrote:
With Virigina Tech and other shootings this was a little scary for me because I was waiting for the Utah County SWAT team to show up for an "active shooter" situation. I decided that since I have my Utah Concealed Firearm Permit now that I would open carry for the first time on the Utah Valley University campus. I had business there, it just wasn't a drive thru.

I parked in the South-East Visitor Parking Lot. I was open carrying my Springfield XD in a Blackhawk Serpa Sportster Paddle Holster. Had one a polo shirt and jeans, so fairly nice looking.

Walked down to my advisors (Legal Department of the Woodbury School of Business) office to turn in some paperwork. Then walked about a little ways to One Stop to turn in some more paperwork. Sat down to fill out a worksheet and then asked a few more questions. Talked to the Residency Advisor in her little cubicle. Then went back to my advisor to show her something she didn't know about the worksheet I picked up at One Stop because she didn't know and kinda wanted to know since many students have to fill it out. Finally walking back to my truck and left.

I got a few sideways glances from a few students, a teacher, and staff at One Stop but overall it was fine. Not sure if anyone called 9-1-1 to report "Man with a gun" (MWAG) because I was there for about a half-hour and everything seemed fine.

I have to go back tomorrow to turn in more paperwork but rest assured I'll be OCing once again.

Outsider, I am glad to hear that things went well.

As you remember, SGTJensen an I, were at the UVU GOP Convention and was approached by the UVU PD. They were edumacated by the AG Mark Shurtleff they we were OK to OC. The Officers ACTUALLY came back to us and said that we were OK.

I am still in progress of sending 2 GOOD letters to the 2 Officers that we talked to. They were very Professional and well Mannered.

If you see Officers A. Smith and N. Smith, tell them that their letters are on the way. Just some delay.

TJ