Thread: Open Carry

Post imported post

I live in Jefferson County and I was wondering about the open carry law. I have a Georgia Firearms license and I always carry in concealed but I have been hearing alot about people doing open carry. Is it legal or not?

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

traveldoc wrote:
    I live in Jefferson County and I was wondering about the open carry law. I have a Georgia Firearms license and I always carry in concealed but I have been hearing alot about people doing open carry. Is it legal or not?
    IANAL - I believe that you can OC in GA if you have a GFL. I believe GA is a "Pre-empted" state (has uniform firearm laws throughout the state). Of course you will need to check the places that are "off limits" so you won't get arrested. I am sure that I will be corrected if I am wrong. Check out the link provided:

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

2nd Amendment........Use it........Or, lose it!!:X
    The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!

Post imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
    traveldoc wrote:
    IANAL - I believe that you can OC in GA if you have a GFL. I believe GA is a "Pre-empted" state (has uniform firearm laws throughout the state). Of course you will need to check the places that are "off limits" so you won't get arrested. I am sure that I will be corrected if I am wrong. Check out the link provided:

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

2nd Amendment........Use it........Or, lose it!!:X

yeah you have to have a GFL to open carry and also join www.georgiacarry.org

Post imported post

The licenses issued in Georgia regardless of county allow for open or concealed carry period.
    Doesn't matter where it was issued.

Post imported post

Georgia law used to ban concealed carry altogether. In 1910, they made a license requirement to carry openly, so that the state could deny black Georgians the right to carry and defend themselves.

Later, the license was made shall issue, and certain limited concealed carry exceptions were added to the Code.

Then, in 1996, the words "may be concealed by clothing" were added to the law.

I hope that clears it up for you.