• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry

traveldoc

imported post

I live in Jefferson County and I was wondering about the open carry law. I have a Georgia Firearms license and I always carry in concealed but I have been hearing alot about people doing open carry. Is it legal or not?

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

traveldoc wrote:
I live in Jefferson County and I was wondering about the open carry law. I have a Georgia Firearms license and I always carry in concealed but I have been hearing alot about people doing open carry. Is it legal or not?

IANAL - I believe that you can OC in GA if you have a GFL. I believe GA is a "Pre-empted" state (has uniform firearm laws throughout the state). Of course you will need to check the places that are "off limits" so you won't get arrested. I am sure that I will be corrected if I am wrong. Check out the link provided:

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

2nd Amendment........Use it........Or, lose it!!:X

rmodel65

imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
traveldoc wrote:

IANAL - I believe that you can OC in GA if you have a GFL. I believe GA is a "Pre-empted" state (has uniform firearm laws throughout the state). Of course you will need to check the places that are "off limits" so you won't get arrested. I am sure that I will be corrected if I am wrong. Check out the link provided:

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

2nd Amendment........Use it........Or, lose it!!:X

yeah you have to have a GFL to open carry and also join www.georgiacarry.org

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Georgia law used to ban concealed carry altogether. In 1910, they made a license requirement to carry openly, so that the state could deny black Georgians the right to carry and defend themselves.

Later, the license was made shall issue, and certain limited concealed carry exceptions were added to the Code.

Then, in 1996, the words "may be concealed by clothing" were added to the law.

I hope that clears it up for you.