• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Happy Birthday rocknsnow!

swillden

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Would suck horribly.

Sweet, I'm gonna put an ammo can in the car so I can put my weapon in it so I don't get in trouble in a school zone.
The federal Gun Free School Zone Act requires that guns be unloaded and locked up unless you have a permit. An ammo can won't cut it. I have a couple of these and they're fairly cheap and work great.

Note that the law requires that the gun be locked up. It doesn't say that the gun has to be hard to get at, or that the case has to be difficult to unlock. I think you can put your gun in one of those small safes and turn the key to lock it, but leave the key in the lock so that you can get the gun out quickly in case you need it.

Also, make sure that your gun is completely unloaded when going through a school zone. "Utah-unloaded" doesn't cut it. And remember that school zones stretch a fifth of a mile in every direction from the school. They're big.

thx997303

imported post

Well, then I could just put a lock on the ammo can. There are pretty cheap kits out there, heck, I could make one myself, either way, it's cheaper and will keep me out of trouble.

swillden

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Well, then I could just put a lock on the ammo can. There are pretty cheap kits out there, heck, I could make one myself, either way, it's cheaper and will keep me out of trouble.
The bad thing about an ammo can, IMO, is that they're too hard to open and close. Both hands are required.

thx997303

imported post

I avoid school zones entirely if possible, You're right, they aren't the easiest, but they don't involve any fine motor skills to open.

Oh and not if you bolt them down, which I am thinking about. As long as I don't bolt it to in between the seats, as this could be considered a center console.