• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting the nerve...

G

imported post

Tomorrow may be my first attempt at carrying my Ruger SP101 openly. I do have a owb holster made by K&D Holster out of Florida. The holsters only method of retention is friction, your thoughts please.

Also, I will be carrying tomorrow at a Pizza Factoryin Oak Harbor so kind of amprehensive about it since it will be my first attempt.

Dave

compmanio365

imported post

Good to hear it. Is the holster like a plastic type that requires you pull the gun out a certain way; any angle will prevent the removal of the gun....or is it just a nylon holster? I had a KNJ holster for my gun when I first started carrying, but with a thumb break. If it is just nylon with no retention at all, I would be wary about carrying in this fashion for very long.

Welcome, and hopefully you will be able to make it to one of our meetups soon (we meet for lunch as a group every 3rd Sunday, sometimes more often); if you are apprehensive about carrying yet, it is not required to carry in order to attend, and usually people who are nervous about carrying openly feel much more confident after they attend an OC meetup.

David.Car

imported post

If you are going to look into carrying openly, I would give serious consideration to a holster with at least 1 retention device. Just for a safety and peace of mind thing.

With out any sort of retention, it would be very simple for someone to just lift your firearm out of its holster.

G

imported post

The holster I have is 100% leather and it is worn on the belt at an angle. Since it is worn on the belt at an angle one would have to lift the revolver at the same angle as the holster to successfully remove if not thegun will stay put.

My holster is the top one in this link http://kdholsters.com/owb-defend.php

It is the eagle defender model.

G

imported post

The holster I have is 100% leather and it is worn on the belt at an angle. Since it is worn on the belt at an angle one would have to lift the revolver at the same angle as the holster to successfully remove if not thegun will stay put.

My holster is the top one in this link http://kdholsters.com/owb-defend.php

It is the eagle defender model.

amlevin

imported post

Nice looking holster but for all practical purposes it has NO retention. Anyone who wants to get close can remove it with not all that much difficulty.

I would suggest that you obtain at least ONE holster with some kind of retention device. My favorite is the Blackhawk CQC SERPA like this http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=4135&C=C2004

There are others but this one can be purchased in the range of $30 and is as easy as a "push of the button" for the carrier to release the weapon.

G

imported post

That Blackhawk is a nice holster that is for sure the only problem is that it does not support the Ruger SP101:banghead:

just_a_car

imported post

Dukester wrote:
That Blackhawk is a nice holster that is for sure the only problem is that it does not support the Ruger SP101:banghead:
It would be worth it to take your Ruger into a gun shop (unloaded and cased) that carries Serpas to have them match it up to one that fits. Sometimes one that is made for a different make and model will actually fit your pistol like a glove.

G

imported post

I wonder if Sportsman Warehouse carries these Blackhawks?

Nozoki

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Dukester wrote:
It would be worth it to take your Ruger into a gun shop (unloaded and cased) that carries Serpas to have them match it up to one that fits. Sometimes one that is made for a different make and model will actually fit your pistol like a glove.
Yep. My S&W Sigma fits quite nicely in a Serpa made for the S&WM&P. Plus you can adjust the tilt angle to suit you for a comfortable draw. I did have to perform one modification though. There is a little hook/nub on the paddle that makes it a PITA to remove the holster. I guess it''s to prevent someone grabbing it and yanking it off you, but it makes it near impossible to remove the holster without taking your pants off first. So I filed the hook off the nub and it's still very secure without being aggravating.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Don't let the retention paranoids scare you. I have been carryig my Bulldog without aretention strap for years and guess what, never had the gunfall out or the holster or anyone try to remove the gun either. You aren't a cop that is required to play slap face with bad guys and have your gun at risk of a desperate guy. Retention is between your ears and situational awareness will prevent any problems you probably won't encounter anyway.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I used to OC my Ruger P89 without a strap. I favor a snug holster and strap myself, but it's all a question of what you are comfortable with. Awareness and the gear you can use swiftly, safely and comfortably are what matters.

Trigger Dr

imported post

If your holster carries the gun like a Marine haircut (HI AND TIGHT), retention gizmos are nice but not really necessary. 27 years as a LEO and 10 years since I retired, I have carried with usually only a top strap snap release or form fitter leather holster.

Both guns ride high and close to the body, and protected by my arm. it is usually difficult to see either of them under normal body position.

ymmv

Attachments

• holsters.jpg
    holsters.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 291

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

For once I agree with Bear, and not as surprisingly, with the others who say your best retention is your situational awareness. Enough time in foreign countries and bad neighborhoods: I'm one for sitting with a good view of entrances and escape routes, I stand sideways when in line, especially if someone is queued up behind me. It's just natural to me, butgirlfriendsoften remark on it after a little time around me.

One thing I do favour in a holster is one that covers the trigger guard completely. YMMV.

G

imported post

Thanks for your words of encourgagement and my rig is similiar to TRIGER DR. Except yours looks like a paddle and mine is a owb but nonetheless there is no strap that retains the weapon other than friction of the holster. In my situation like yours the drawing of the weapon has to be exact to the angle of the holster if not, the weapon stays put... My belt was also manufactured by K&D Holsters and it keeps the holster high and tight. The belt is made of two seperate layers of leather that are stitched together. Kevin truly does a first rate job and because he does he has a demand and with a demand there is a 4 month lead time which is worth it...

Dave

kparker

imported post

Trigger Dr,

The upper holster in the picture, where it doesn't cover up the trigger at all, really gives me heartburn, regardless of the degree of retention or lack thereof.

David.Car

imported post

kparker wrote:
Trigger Dr,

The upper holster in the picture, where it doesn't cover up the trigger at all, really gives me heartburn, regardless of the degree of retention or lack thereof.
Agreed. That holster has more retention than the other due to the thumb break... but man that just makes me nervous.