• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCed for the first time yesterday

MetalChris

imported post

I finally crossed over to the Dark Side yesterday. Well half crossed over. I realize that VRA is a range and people OC to ranges all the time, but for those of you who are not familiar with the layout of VRA, you have to walk into the front door and up do the counter to reserve a lane. Anyway, despite all that I've read here about people OC-ing without incident, I was very apprehensive. After all, the folks who work at VRA are all packing, and I didn't want some yahoo CC-er to be the hero and shoot the crazy dood with the gun hanging off his hip.

The only reaction I got was a lady who worked there looked at me, then my XD (nestled in a CF Serpa) and said with much disbelief, "You're 21?" I smiled and said that I was, believe it or not.

That was that. I shot for an hour, and upon leaving reloaded my SD rounds, holstered my gun, and after stopping by the counter to let them know their factory reloads are freakin HOT, I left.

Nobody tried to shoot me. Nobody challenged me (well not really :))

Lthrnck

imported post

I have seen several new people on from the Dayton Ohio area. We should have a get together. Maybe go shooting at VRA.

Maybe go to the park for a BBQ, we could make the Anti's twitch... we could call it

"The Shoot-Out at the OC Corral BBQ"... J/K

MetalChris

imported post

Do you shoot there often? I've been there 4 times in the past year. They're always very friendly and the range facility is top-notch.

Pauly

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
The only reaction I got was a lady who worked there looked at me, then my XD (nestled in a CF Serpa) and said with much disbelief, "You're 21?" I smiled and said that I was, believe it or not.

You only have to be 18 to open carry in Ohio. Not too important but thought I'd let you know in case you were unaware.

SWhetsel

imported post

But isnt there a catch that you have to be 21 to own a pistol and to purchase ammo for it? I don't know if the same catch applies to carry. From what I used to remember you could be 18 and have a pistol, but it had to be gifted to you by a guardian or something.

Rifles where similar in the fact that it was 18 to buy and purchase ammo, but could have one at 16. ( I know this for a fact because you can hunt on your own at 16 )

Ground Chuk

imported post

A Dayton get together sounds great. Don't see too many people from Dayton posting here or on OFCC's site.

MetalChris

imported post

SWhetsel wrote:
But isnt there a catch that you have to be 21 to own a pistol and to purchase ammo for it?
I think so. It's coo if you're carrying with your dad or something if you're under 21, but seeing as how my dad is like 2300 miles away that would be at least a little inconvenient. ;)

Ground Chuk

imported post

I finally got a "safer" OC holster on order. Right now I use a Don Hume JIT Slide for CC. Excellent concealer, but with no retention besides the natural retention of tension.

I have on order a Don Hume Double Nine (H721) belt holster, as seen here http://http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/H721/Don_Hume_Double_Nine_H721_Belt_Holster.html][/url]

Should have it next week, hopefully!

Edit: Sorry for the long link, not sure how to shorten it.

Jayheld90

imported post

i haven't OCed yet, this is my first post. i have been collecting guns for a couple of years now (only have 2 rifles and 1 pistol so far, but will be "hopefully" be buying two more guns first quarter 2009) i wouldn't mind having a meet up, and getting a chance to meet some of you guys. i live in columbus.

A few guns i had in mind are:
(for CC when i get my license)
Beretta 90-two
Beretta Px4
Bersa Thunder 9mm
Magnum Research "Baby Eagle" 9mm
(was looking for something in 9mm, because i like the round and its still fairly cheap)