• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Urgent National Park Carry

Tabsr

imported post

Send in your support for carry. I recevied this today from the enemy.

Dear Thomas,

The Gun Lobby Wants Loaded Guns in National Parks. Please take action!

For some reason, the gun lobby things it's a great idea to let people carry loaded weapons in our national parks. Never mind that most people feel safer when guns are not present. Never mind that national parks are actually quite safe places to be already.

The current policy, which allows unloaded and securely stored guns in parks, is smart and sound. it protects the safety of visitors and also protects the rights of gun owners. But recently, the Department of Interior, under pressure from the gun lobby, has decided to change the regulations with regard to guns in parks. The new regulation would allow people with state conceal/carry licenses to carry guns within national parks (if the state in which the national park is situated allows people to carry firearms in state parks).

Sound confusing? It is. Sound necessary? it is not.

Allowing loaded guns in parks poses a threat to wildlife, park visitors and park rangers. As required by law, the Department of Interior has opened up the regulation change process for comments from the public. Those crazy about their guns (and little else) will be submitting thousands of comments fueled on by the gun lobby. Please don't let them be the only ones commenting! Submit your comments TODAY and tell them to keep the current regulations in place!

THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO DIRECTLY AFFECT PUBLIC POLICY. TAKE ACTION BEFORE JUNE 30!

Thank you!

There are 3 ways to submit comments:

Go to the web site for the National Parks Conservation Association. Use their form to comment.

OR

Go to the Department of Interior and submit your comments directly. Use the points below but personalize your comments as much as possible.

OR

Send a letter directly to the Department of Interior, Public Comments Processing, Attn: 1024-AD70; Division of Policy and Directives Management; US Fish and Wildlife Service; 4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 222; Arlington, VA 22203. These letters are worth their weight in gold. Use the points below, but personalize the letter as much as possible.

Points to make when commenting:

They are trying to fix something that isn't broken. Parks are safe -- some of the safest places in the world -- and the current regulations are working well. According to the National Park Service, the probability of becoming a victim of a violent crime in a national park is 1 in 708,333, which is less likely than being struck by lighting during one's lifetime.
The regulations would vary from park to park depending on the state in which they reside. This creates a patchwork of regulations that would be confusing to visitors and park rangers, especially in parks that reside in more than 1 state. Current regulations are consistent in all parks, across all states.
Many families and visitors, particularly those from other countries, will not like the idea that other visitors are carrying firearms while sharing interpretive programs, hiking trails, campsites and eating facilities.
With easy access to a loaded gun, some people might be tempted to poach wildlife or shoot at bears or other animals. Harm to wildlife and human visitors may increase.

CSM relies on donations from supporters to operate. If you value the work we do and can help us out, please visit our web site at

www.endgunviolence.com and donate now.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I sent, "Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$"

Dear Doug,

Thank you for taking action to help keep sound regulations on
the books and guns OUT of our parks. Be sure to keep up to date
on this, and other park issues at http://www.npca.org .

Sincerely,
NPCA

If you would like to update your account information, please
visit your subscription management page for NPCA at:
http://ga1.org/npca/smp.tcl?s=xw6uxe7rfq7334t6i

[/code]

Flintlock

imported post

Tabsr wrote:
Allowing loaded guns in parks poses a threat to wildlife, park visitors and park rangers. As required by law, the Department of Interior has opened up the regulation change process for comments from the public. Those crazy about their guns (and little else) will be submitting thousands of comments fueled on by the gun lobby. Please don't let them be the only ones commenting! Submit your comments TODAY and tell them to keep the current regulations in place!

Yeah right, just like it is a threat in National forests, Wildlife Refuges and the National Parks in Alaska that allow the carriage of arms. Funny how I don't ever read of poaching by OC'ing citizens nor any Alaska Park Rangers getting mowed down..

I OC'd in a National Forest last weekend and nobody batted an eye. I plan to carry in Kenai Fjords National Park and Kenai National Wildlife Refugethis weekend. Legally and without hesitation.

rdinatal

imported post

I'm usually very quiet and just read other's posts. But this is really getting me pi$$ed. I took some creative feedom and changed a letter that was against and turned it 190 degrees around. If anyone would like to use, or enhance, please feel free to.

-R

America's national parks offeran opportunity for people to enjoy solitude. That's why I am glad to learn that the administration is considering allowing people the choice of carrying concealed weapons in our national parks. Let me explain why…

Some groups bring up that this will lead to illegal poaching. Then they say that poaching is already a serious issue in our national parks and has been steadily increasing over the years. These two statements seem to be contradictory to me. In my mind this bill is not about protecting wildlife that are already threatened by development, global warming, including poaching and other outside threats. This bill is about allowing law abiding people who have obtained licenses to carry weapons for protection.If poaching is on the rise, and general criminal activity, then opening up the parks to allow LEGAL[/b] carry of guns for protection will not put a greater toll on the Park Service or threaten wildlife.

Please open up our parks to enable licensed[/b] citizens the opportunity of protecting themselves. This is not about wildlife but of people protecting themselves. This administration would be setting a great precedent by allowing legal loaded weapons in our parks. With this bill, law abiding people will have the opportunity (legally)and the choice (ability) to provide protection when no agency is legally obligated to protect an individual.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

So does ANYONE know what happened ????

We were suppossed to have gotten an answer BEFORE or ON JUNE 30th. We are PAST this date and I am VERY anxious to hear what ? is going on ?

Anyone?...Anyone?...

Beuller?...Bueller?...

TJ