• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hillsdale County Courthouse to allow Concealed Carry

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

You gotta read this to believe it.

The news story is here
No-law-for-no-guns-signs-in-courthouse

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

An attorney that posts on the MGO site had this comment.

"That won't last long. The Supreme Court Administrative Office will come down on Judge Smith like an avenging diety, and will reiterate their insistence that he comply with and enforce the Administrative Order.

Evil things have been happening to judges who try to buck the SCAO."

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

UPDATE ON THIS:

The judge wrote a letter to editor clarifying what he did. That letter is below.

Gun ban remains in courtrooms
Dear Editor,

I wish to address information that was reported in the June 18 edition of the Hillsdale Daily News regarding the removal of a sign prohibiting weapons in the Courthouse. My removal of the sign and comments regarding the same did not pertain to the courtrooms within the Courthouse.

In 2001, the Michigan Supreme Court issued an order prohibiting weapons “in any courtroom, office or other space used for official court business.” The Supreme Court has unquestioned authority to set rules for safety and security within judicial branch facilities. Consistent with the Supreme Court’s order, I signed an administrative order in 2002, which remains in effect, prohibiting weapons in the county courtrooms or other space used for official court business.

The Supreme Court recognized in its 2001 order that many state courts share space with other local government entities and encouraged local courts to collaborate with those entities in developing a weapons policy. My comments were meant to clarify that our court could not unilaterally ban weapons in space used by other units of government. Absent a county policy adopted by the County Board of Commissioners, the single sign was removed from the west door of the Courthouse. The sign prohibiting weapons remains on the courtroom door.

In summary, weapons are still prohibited from the county courtrooms and other space used for court business. Signs will continue to be posted on the courtroom notifying the public of this fact. I trust that this explanation clarifies any misunderstanding of the court’s weapon policy.

Sincerely,
Michael R. Smith
Circuit Court Judge