• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bank Customer Halts Robbery With Handgun

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

http://blog.mlive.com/annarbornews/2008/06/customer_foils_bank_robbery_at.html

Customer foils bank robbery attempt in Canton Township with his own handgun

Posted by Amalie Nash and Art Aisner | The Ann Arbor News June 18, 2008 11:02AM

It took a day of congratulatory calls from friends, customers and complete strangers before Nabil Fawzi realized the risk he took by pulling a gun on the would-be bank robber standing just feet away, claiming to have a bomb.

But the Ypsilanti Township gas station owner and father of three said he wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

"In my situation, I felt like I could do it, and I just did it because it felt like it was the right thing to do," said Fawzi, 39.

Joseph WebsterFawzi was the first customer at the Comerica Bank branch on Michigan Avenue in Canton Township at 9 a.m. Monday when police say would-be bank robber Joseph Webster, 53, of Ypsilanti walked in.
Webster allegedly handed a teller a note demanding money and claiming to have bomb strapped to his chest.

Fawzi, who frequently visits the branch on his daily commute from his home in Dearborn to his Sunoco station on Ecorse Road, noticed his own teller was acting strangely. When he asked what was wrong and she indicated a robbery was under way, Fawzi took action.

He said the robber at the adjacent teller station kept one hand behind his back at all times until the teller began doling out dollar bills. The robber demanded a stack of larger bills instead and moved both hands to the window to collect the cash.

Within seconds, Fawzi drew his handgun, racked a round in the chamber and told the man that he wasn't robbing the bank.
"But I have a bomb," the robber told Fawzi.

"I don't care," Fawzi replied. "You are not robbing this bank today." Fawzi said he searched Webster and found no bomb or any other weapons. Webster sat in a chair at gunpoint until police arrived.
Webster, 53, was arraigned on single counts of bank robbery, armed robbery and third offense habitual offender due to prior convictions for a sex offense and robbery. He was jailed on $100,000 bond, and a preliminary hearing is scheduled for June 27.

After the incident, Fawzi showed police his concealed weapons permit and was released.

Canton Police Detective Sgt. Rick Pomorski credited the customer for his quick actions - but noted that police prefer citizens to serve as witnesses instead of taking matters into their own hands in dangerous situations.

"We never condone that civilians take action when there's a propensity for violence and what could happen," Pomorski said. "We prefer they maintain their distance. That said, we're thankful for the way it turned out. He did a wonderful job securing the scene until we got there."

Fawzi, who is expecting his fourth child this fall, said he would probably would have acted differently if Webster had a gun, but he just did not believe the bomb threat. The Lebanese native said he was reacting on instincts he learned during five years of service in that country's army.

"When I saw his hands were empty I thought this was the right time to act, that if I could stop him, I would stop him."

If convicted, Webster faces up to 25 years in prison.

Fawzi said he and his business partner will celebrate by discounting gas by 5 cents and giving away hot dogs at the station located at 1024 Ecorse Road from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday.

Dahwg

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:

It took a day of congratulatory calls from friends, customers and complete strangers before Nabil Fawzi realized the risk he took by pulling a gun on the would-be bank robber standing just feet away, claiming to have a bomb.

But the Ypsilanti Township gas station owner and father of three said he wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

"In my situation, I felt like I could do it, and I just did it because it felt like it was the right thing to do," said Fawzi, 39.

Joseph WebsterFawzi was the first customer at the Comerica Bank branch on Michigan Avenue in Canton Township at 9 a.m. Monday when police say would-be bank robber Joseph Webster, 53, of Ypsilanti walked in.
Webster allegedly handed a teller a note demanding money and claiming to have bomb strapped to his chest.

Fawzi, who frequently visits the branch on his daily commute from his home in Dearborn to his Sunoco station on Ecorse Road, noticed his own teller was acting strangely. When he asked what was wrong and she indicated a robbery was under way, Fawzi took action.

He said the robber at the adjacent teller station kept one hand behind his back at all times until the teller began doling out dollar bills. The robber demanded a stack of larger bills instead and moved both hands to the window to collect the cash.

Within seconds, Fawzi drew his handgun, racked a round in the chamber and told the man that he wasn't robbing the bank.

"I don't care," Fawzi replied. "You are not robbing this bank today." Fawzi said he searched Webster and found no bomb or any other weapons. Webster sat in a chair at gunpoint until police arrived.
Webster, 53, was arraigned on single counts of bank robbery, armed robbery and third offense habitual offender due to prior convictions for a sex offense and robbery. He was jailed on $100,000 bond, and a preliminary hearing is scheduled for June 27.

After the incident, Fawzi showed police his concealed weapons permit and was released.

Canton Police Detective Sgt. Rick Pomorski credited the customer for his quick actions - but noted that police prefer citizens to serve as witnesses instead of taking matters into their own hands in dangerous situations.

"We never condone that civilians take action when there's a propensity for violence and what could happen," Pomorski said. "We prefer they maintain their distance. That said, we're thankful for the way it turned out. He did a wonderful job securing the scene until we got there."

Fawzi, who is expecting his fourth child this fall, said he would probably would have acted differently if Webster had a gun, but he just did not believe the bomb threat. The Lebanese native said he was reacting on instincts he learned during five years of service in that country's army.

"When I saw his hands were empty I thought this was the right time to act, that if I could stop him, I would stop him."

Fawzi said he and his business partner will celebrate by discounting gas by 5 cents and giving away hot dogs at the station located at 1024 Ecorse Road from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday.
LOL How appropriate that ConditionThree would be the one posting this story.

Dustin

imported post

Pointman wrote:
"Fawzi didn't stick his head up his a** and sit in the corner crying, so we detained him because he might be a danger to society. What was he thinking? Carrying a gun into a bank--there's no need for that. We didn't have enough evidence to charge him, and he seemed sorry for his intentionally pulling a weapon and endangering the public, so we let him off after telling him he'll be arrested if he decides to pull another stunt like that. The DA will probably press charges at a later time for Fawzi impersonating a police officer after we've interviewed more witnesses."

That's Ridiculous.

The Man Obviously could see that this guy was full of crap about the bomb.

SQLtables

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:

One hell of a marketing plan...

N00blet45

imported post

Good thing he didn't really have a bomb. That is not to say Mr. Fawzi shouldn't commended for stopping the robbery, just that things could have been a lot worse if the guy wasn't bluffing.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

In response to the article: L O L

I can't believe the officer actually said that though. That is just plain stupid. Yeah, let's cower in fear in the corner till the police arrive, and by that time this nutjob will be miles away with no bomb and a crap load of money! We need to bring back vigilantism and wanted posters with rewards dead or alive.

I know a lot of people say the OC community is just trying to bring back the old west, and I say "why not?" Is it a bad thing that people who aren't police officers want to help stop crime too? What is wrong with stopping a robbery, and helping to put a man (with prior warrants no less), who shouldn't be on the streets, behind bars? i think it's great what he did, and I'd have done the same thing.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

WAHOO! Mr. Fawzi, congratulations on that beautiful display of CITIZENSHIP! Well done sir!

Detective Sgt. Rick Pomorski spoke like a robotic autonomiton and should be chastized for his statement. He would have subjects cower in a corner. Dead witnesses tell no tales.

protector84

imported post

The police want the citizens to be helpless so that they can keep their jobs and their authority. If neighborhood by neighborhood, people kept and carried arms openly in addition to patroling their neighborhoods as volunteer groups taking turns, the police would gradually become less needed and therefore more obsolete. The real purpose of the police should be to deal with situations that the public would not be expected to deal with. Such tasks would include traffic control, hostage situations, and criminal investigations. If the general public stopped and deterred the bulk of crimes by being aware of their surroundings, using their brains, and carrying weapons, the police resources could be used much more effectively. They should be there to handle the serious situations and do the investigations. Instead, we have citizens afraid to go out at night and police busy searching for kids smoking pot. Wonderful police state...

This bank robbery incident brings something else to mind, however. While we OCers primarily carry our guns in a manner designed to deter crime, it is essential to be receiving regular training in case the firearm has to actually be used. I would say at the very least this means going to the range once in a while. I know I could use some more practice. The reason I say this is because you could walk into a hostage situation that even most police are not trained to handle but you might be the only one who can save a life and you might be the one who has to handle it. Suppose the robber did indeed have a bomb strapped to his chest. You would only be able to stop him with a head shot and you might have to do it from a distance. Could you get a perfect head shot from 50 feet away with a handgun? It is good to practice this stuff at the range because you never know when such training could save your life as well as others. Even the criminal with the fake bomb could have grabbed another customer and hidden behind him/her and if you are the OCer there, you have to deal with it and you probably will not have time to wait for the police. The general public is going to expect that if they see a citizen open carrying that he is well trained on its use. While we are not police officers, the general public is going to expect us to behave in a similar manner where if anyone is being threatened, we will act as we are capable of doing so. This is something to bear in mind.

unreconstructed1

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
just that things could have been a lot worse if the guy wasn't bluffing.

you can't press the detonator button with2 holes in your chest and a matching one in your head...

congratulations Mr. Fawzi, for your display of personal protection.

N00blet45

imported post

They do have what they call "dead man switches/triggers". It works so that if you kill the bomber the bomb still goes off. Usually it works that the bomber holds a button instead of just pushing it. As long as he holds it the bomb doesn't go off, but as soon as he lets go it goes boom. It isn't 100% effective but it does work. Granted it is more of a matyrdom type technique but it isn't impossible for a robber to use it. If you don't want to go back to prison it's the ultimate fail safe, you know other than not robbing banks.

unreconstructed1

imported post

true, but logic would dictate that someone who is only interested in robbing banks wouldn't employ this type of switch... of course when dealing with criminals, logic isn't necessarily applied...

MetalChris

imported post

What were the chances the guy actually had a bomb, and if he did what were the chances he could deploy it effectively?

Slim to none.

I can't find one bank robbery where the perp had a real bomb. It doesn't happen, at least not in this country. ;)

Boomer654

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
They do have what they call "dead man switches/triggers". It works so that if you kill the bomber the bomb still goes off. Usually it works that the bomber holds a button instead of just pushing it. As long as he holds it the bomb doesn't go off, but as soon as he lets go it goes boom. It isn't 100% effective but it does work. Granted it is more of a matyrdom type technique but it isn't impossible for a robber to use it. If you don't want to go back to prison it's the ultimate fail safe, you know other than not robbing banks.
Ahh... but the article states that the Bank Robber had both hands in view and they were empty whenFawzi detained him at gunpoint. Even if he had a bomb I doubt he would keep the detonator in his teeth. Good observation and good jobby Mr Fawzi who, from his time in the Lebanese Army,we can probably guess has some experience and/or training in spotting suicide bombers.:what:

(AND he lowered his gas price :celebrate)

N00blet45

imported post

Yea, yea. All I'm saying is that things could have been worse. Also, if I hear a guy has a bomb I'd probably think a little harder before I confront the guy. Because if I confront the bad guy who actually has a bomb and I'm forced to shoot I'm going to be shooting at explosives. One of the rules is to know your target and what is beyond it. Beyond me shooting at this scumbag might be a fiery future with broken glass and charred remains if he isn't bluffing.

I wasn't in that situation and I can think and type all I want now without any consequence. It seems he knew what he was doing, being from the Libyan army he has probably seen and/or had training on bombers. I'm not condemning Mr. Fawzi, just stating that things could have been worse.

sccrref

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
Yea, yea. All I'm saying is that things could have been worse. Also, if I hear a guy has a bomb I'd probably think a little harder before I confront the guy. Because if I confront the bad guy who actually has a bomb and I'm forced to shoot I'm going to be shooting at explosives. One of the rules is to know your target and what is beyond it. Beyond me shooting at this scumbag might be a fiery future with broken glass and charred remains if he isn't bluffing.

I wasn't in that situation and I can think and type all I want now without any consequence. It seems he knew what he was doing, being from the Libyan army he has probably seen and/or had training on bombers. I'm not condemning Mr. Fawzi, just stating that things could have been worse.
Anything can always be worse. I think he made an informed intelligent decision and as a result, the outcome was favorable to all but the idiot would be bank robber.