• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Owners of America; Alert

Kastaway

imported post

http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm

Senator David Vitter (R-LA) is planning to introduce a concealed carry reciprocity bill next week.

Senator Vitter had been working closely with Gun Owners of America to draft and file a reciprocity amendment a few weeks ago, but that amendment, unfortunately, never saw the light of day -- thanks to powerful opponents inside the Senate.

However, Sen. Vitter has continued undaunted and last week sent a Dear Colleague letter to his fellow senators, asking them to cosponsor his forthcoming bill, the "Respecting States Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act."

The Vitter bill treats concealed carry permits much the same as drivers' licenses, where one state's license is recognized in all other states.

In addressing the matter of reciprocity, the first concern of GOA and Sen. Vitter is that it be done constitutionally and that it respects states' rights.

Unlike another senate reciprocity measure, S. 388, Vitter's bill does not establish "national standards" for concealed carry. It simply
says that
states that allow concealed carry must recognize the CCW permits of other states.

Vitter's bill also respects the rights of states that allow concealed carry without a permit. Citizens of Vermont and non-license holders in Alaska are allowed to carry concealed without a permit. Under the Vitter bill, these states would be recognized in the same manner as states that do issue permits.

States that do not allow concealed carry at all are not forced, under the Vitter bill, to recognize out-of-state permits. There are currently two such states, Illinois and Wisconsin. While it is deplorable that these states refuse to trust their citizens with firearms, this is an issue that has to be dealt with at the state level.

Citizens should not be forced to sacrifice their right to self-defense at the state line. The Vitter bill will allow more Americans to defend themselves away from their home state.

Action: Please urge your two Senators to become original cosponsors of the Vitter "Respecting States Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity

Decoligny

imported post

Another impact that this bill may have is to help bring about "Shall Issue" status to states that are currently "May Issue".

It might take a little bit of litigation, but I think it might happen.

fetch

imported post

I don't understand how people can be waiting for a "federal" reciprocity bill, when it is the states that must get together, ie the 10th Amendment. Tell me I am missing something, but is the GOA wanting the federal government to control gun policies between the states contrary to the 10th amendment?

MetalChris

imported post

If this were a "federal concealed carry permit" bill, I'd be totally against it, but I don't see anything wrong with this bill.

Decoligny

imported post

fetch wrote:
I don't understand how people can be waiting for a "federal" reciprocity bill, when it is the states that must get together, ie the 10th Amendment. Tell me I am missing something, but is the GOA wanting the federal government to control gun policies between the states contrary to the 10th amendment?
I see this as more along the lines of the Federal Government insisting that the Individual States abide by the U.S. Constitution, spcifically Article IV, Section 1

Article IV

Section 1. Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.

Article IV, Section 1 is why Driver's Licenses from Massachusetts are honored in Florida, and why marraiges performed in Alaska are recognized in North Dakota.

It should be the same way for Concealed Carry Lincensure, if you get a CCW in Texas it should be honored in Wyoming, South Carolina, etc.