• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gunreports.com on open carry movement - sasy more pushback from anti-gunners expected

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.gunreports.com/news/handguns/Pushback-Open-Carry-handguns_499-1.html

opencarry.jpg

Preview: Pushback on Open Carry
Author: GR Staff
June 18, 2008

As the mini-movement of open carry gains steam, handgun owners who might consider carrying their handguns openly can expect to hear a lot of hooey about how open carry will ruin the world, as the following shows.

James Carroll, writing in the June 16, 2008, Boston Globe, is almost hysterical:

Even at age 4, I was hypnotized by a gun. The gun was a mystical object, with significance that far transcended any imagined use. Fear, but also consolation. Awe. Trembling. That the gun was my father's was a first clue to potency. Hidden away, yet the gun sent a pulse through the whole apartment, a psychological electromagnet around which my awareness swirled. Long before I tasted the temptations of sex, I yielded to an irresistible prurience by opening that drawer. Initiation into obscenity. Because primal disobedience is so defining, I found a sense of independent selfhood in relationship to a gun. Only later would I realize how very American that makes me.…

Now an "open carry" movement encourages gun owners to wear their weapons ostentatiously on their belts, "to make a firearm," in the words of a Los Angeles Times story last week, "as common an accessory as an iPod." Or, as one open carrier said, "Hey, we're normal people who carry guns."…

Get used to it. In most states, there is no law against license-holders cradling a rifle on the street, or holstering a firearm on a hip, like Wyatt Earp. But since the close of the last frontier, gun display, except in movies, has been culturally taboo. The power of that prohibition is what stirred me at my father's dresser. "Open carry" aims to remove such visceral negativity, though the taboo amounts, in fact, to last ditch gun control. The "normalizing" of guns will inevitably normalize their use.…

There’s a lot more in the full piece, the link for which is provided below, which also allows you to comment on the Boston Globe site.

Expect more of the same from people who hate guns, whether they’re hidden in the sock drawer or worn in plain view.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2008/06/16/open_carry_guns_at_our_childrens_risk

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

"The "normalizing" of guns will inevitably normalize their use.…"

Exactly, normalizing the use of firearms against those who wish to do us harm. The 'Un-normalized' use of firearms shows only the use against the law-abiding man.

What trash. I read the rest of the article. What kind of psycho babble bs is this? I can gaurentee that this person was never taught the proper use and handling of firearms, therefore he still holds them with mystic properties. Had he ever spent any time with one, he'd realize like all of us have that it's just a piece of metal. Cold and lifeless like any tool.

"The children! will someone please think of the Children?!?!" Exactly. Thats what and good gun-activist says. Think of the children, teach them proper use and handling, don't let them be ignorant to a tool that could save their life one day when you're not there to do it for them.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Most of this type of crap comes out of the Northeast. If Early, Ewell and Stuart had been where they needed to be rather than off doing what they wanted to do where they wanted to do it 145 years ago this month, we wouldn't care one whit what some jag-off in Boston thinks about anything.l

thx997303

imported post

Well, this crap is going to increase as we gain steam. The better we do, the more push back from the antis.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Most of this type of crap comes out of the Northeast. If Early, Ewell and Stuart had been where they needed to be rather than off doing what they wanted to do where they wanted to do it 145 years ago this month, we wouldn't care one whit what some jag-off in Boston thinks about anything.l
Gripe 'bout Ewell and Stuart all you want, amongst Southerners; but sweeten yo speech when discussin' the hallow'd name of Early. :)