• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting a Virginia resident concealed handgun permit

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

Ok, gotcha. That's a different story. Wait the 45 days and on 7/1 go to the courthouse and have the clerk cert. your application as the defacto permit.

If you have a Gen. discharge you won't be denied unless they're plain stupid. They have to be able to - within the 45 days - show you areD/Q OR issue the permit.

You've met your obligations, and theyare within their authority to hold your app until 6/30 (day 45). At which time if they have no disqualifying info they SHOULD issue you the permit.

I suggest being ready to go to the courthouse on July 1 and getting your defacto permit.

ZBBMcFate

imported post

That is my plan, in fact, I have already taken the morning of July 1st off, as to be waiting on the steps when the courthouse opens. This clerk has me rattled though. I was hoping that this would fall into the territory of 'their job' and I could push this back onto them. I am still expecting this to not go smoothly.

ZBBMcFate

imported post

No, my copy went MIA years back. I guess the propect of having to provide extra documentation after reading the OP got me kinda riled up. I remember requesting a DD214 a few years ago, and it took approx 3 months to receive a deleted copy when I had requested, in writing, an undeleted copy. Anyway, I was ready to wait until July 1st, and after calling the court clerk back, I think at worst, I will have to carry the temp if I do CC, at least until Uncle Sam sends my old walking papers.

captkirk9195

imported post

They've spedup the DD-214 retrieval process. I had to get mine as proof of discharge for something earlier this year, and it took a few weeks. And yes it was a "summary copy", ie, what I believe you are calling a DELETED copy.

HTH

Jason

GoldDot

imported post

Two weeks for mine. No fingerprints, but had to submit proof of competency (NRA safety course) with application and $$

No fuss, no muss.

ZBBMcFate

imported post

MrY, I did not mean to hijack your thread, sorry if I did.

I spoke with that clerk twice on Friday the 20th. The second call was more productive. The clerk mentioned that my background check showed that I was discharged from the Army in Aug 98, but didn't show a status. Because of this, they could not prove that I wasn't dishonorably discharged. (prove a negative?) So, request a DD214 and wait. But, during this second phone call, I was told that my proof of competency was fine, and that I would probably not be denied, but at worst to expect to carry a defacto until I can show the DD214 to PW county.

EDITED for lack of my own reading comprehension

EDITED again for typos

eyesopened

imported post

ZBBMcFate wrote:
MrY, I did not mean to hijack your thread, sorry if I did.

I spoke with that clerk twice on Friday the 20th. The second call was more productive. The clerk mentioned that my background check showed that I was discharged from the Army in Aug 98, but didn't show a status. Because of this, they cound not prove that I wasn't dishonorably discharged. (prove a negative?) So, request a DD214 and wait. But, during this second phone call, I was told that my proof of competency was fine, and that I would probably not be denied, but at worst to expect to carry a defacto until I can show the DD214 to PW county.

EDITED for lack of my own reading comprehension
Aren't we in a SHALL ISSUE state so isn't it on THEM to prove that you're not suppose to have a permit by finding out your discharge status? You've already disclosed that you were not discharged dishonorably...

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

They don't have sufficient reason to deny you and by law the permit must be issued. Don't take any guff from them. If they don't issue you the permit request an Ore Tenus hearing.

Definitely get the de-facto permit. You should not have to produce any more documentation. You have provided enough for them to go on and what is req'd by law.

captkirk9195

imported post

I just started the 45 day ticker on mine today, so we'll see how it goes.

The ladies in the office down there were very polite and helpful.

HTH

Jason

phixion

imported post

Today is day 67 and I still haven't received the call to get my permit. I did get my de facto permit but I refuse to believe that it takes THIS long to issue a permit. My friend turned in his application a week later than I did (60 days) and received the call yesterday stating that his permit was ready to be picked up.

Frustrating is all..

tripledipper

imported post

Attended aconcealed carryclass 5/6, Appliedat localCircuit Court & fingerprinted bylocal PD 5/7, Permit dated 6/11 & received by mail on 6/17, 42 days later. Some places make you wait the 45 days, others onlya couple of weeks.

ZBBMcFate

imported post

Well, it's not official yet, but I just got some interesting news from PW County. The law clerk I have been dealing with just told me that I am going to be denied, due to the fact that the court cannot determine that I was not dishonorably discharged. Argh. So, I am going to go down tomorrow and request an Ore Tenus. He did state that I was welcome to apply again once I receive my DD214. What a crock. So, if anyone has experience with how this Ore Tenus hearing will go, I would appreciate feedback.