• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Pistol Size

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am looking to soon purchase my first pistol, with the express purpose of self-defense, open carry.

After extensive research, I have come to the conclusion that I will be carrying a Springfield Armory XD .45

The only remaining question is the size of the pistol. As I have no intention of Conceal Carry, or will do so only in limited circumstance, I am leaning toward the 5-inch model.

Any thoughts or experiences with this handgun? On the occasion that I do CC, any problems with doing so? Comfort, etc?

I am 6'2", 220 pounds, medium - heavy build.

Any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

tattedupboy

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I carried SA 1911 A1 alternative to my H&K USPc, both Mexican x-draw open or concealed depending on whether I tucked my shirt or not. The milling on the SA 1911 is sharp against my hide but I knew that it was riding right. 6'2" 230#
Mexican cross draw?!!:what: Don't you know how dangerous holsterless carry is? Have you just not found the right holster, can't afford one, or do you just prefer to carry this way? What in the world are you thinking?

danbus

imported post

I suggest going to your local gun shop and fondling a XD 45 service and compact.

With the compact you can use the 13 round mag to change it to a service model and then 10 round mag back into a compact.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I carry an XD45 Service compact (4"). I usually CC because city ordinance requires it. I OC, especially in summer, whenever I can. I am also about 6' 3" and 230, med-athletic build with 15 lbs "winter fat" I haven't taken off, so we aren't way different in size.

Really, with the XD45 you have 2 pistol size options - service or tactical and compact or standard.

The XD45 fits me better with the long mag (making it standard size grip) and is much more comfortable. However, the most difficult part to conceal is the grip, so I carry with the 10 rd mag about half the time. CC with a sports coat or jacket , full size grip not an issue. CC with an over shirt or just t-shirt untucked full size grip(long mag) likely to print which may or may not matter.

All that being said, personally if I were going to CC rarely, and would know when I would need to CC in advance such that I could plan my wardrobe to minimize printing without having to buy a new wardrobe for daily carry, I would get the standard grip.

As to the service vs tactical, if I were going to rarely CC I would get a tactical model. I find it easier for follow-up shots and just somehow more fun and comfortable to shoot than the service model. Perhaps a little better balanced. That means that during those rare CC occassions you are going to have to either carry IWB or be very careful about clothing/hostler choice so that the end of the muzzle isn't exposed. But for an occassional event that isn't such a big deal.

Tactical slide/barrel and compact grip is an option. You can always CC IWB in which case the extra length doesn't matter but the compact grip will make it easier to conceal.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I own a XD .40 full size. I would say it is pretty much the same size as the .45. I find it hard to conceal well, maybe it is the holster I use. So I now will OC the XD just because I want to get some miles on it. But the XD is a very fine weapon.

nova

imported post

I just picked up an XD45 tactical 5" for the sole purpose of OC, since I can't get a CHP for another two years. I'm going out tomorrow and pick up a SERPA for it. I figure in another year or two I'll start looking for a more concealable gun.

tattedupboy

imported post

I noticed that the subject of this thread was on pistol size with regard to OC. My preferred mode of carry is CC, and because of that I always have to consider a pistol's concealability when I go pistol shopping. The beauty of OC, however, is that pistol size is not as much of a consideration as it is for those who CC. Whether you want to go small (ie., Kel Tec, Seecamp, or Rohrbaugh) or full size (ie., Glock 22, Beretta, or Ruger P94), OCers have many more options available to them than CCers do.

acrimsontide

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
I personally don't like XD's... so... Why am I commenting again?

Nevermind.
Bravo_Sierra, While I am not a Glock fan like yourself, (I like the 1911s), I don't particularly like the XD. I have tosay that IF I were to ever want to carry a Glock type pistol, I would want the Glock, not a "Glock Copy".

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The XD is not a Glock copy beyond it being polymer bodied and most often found in black. They are quite different internally and IMO, the XD is a superior design. I say that having completely disassembled both side by side and comparing the architecture. I don't care for Glocks in several regards including ergonomics, although I recognize that they are good fiearms many prefer and do not attempt to steer people away from them over my personal preference and opinion

Also, I do not feel a need to post in every thread where someone is asking for info about Glocks or offering a positive opinion about Glocks to proffer my opinion that I personally don't like them. :quirky

357luvr

imported post

Up until recently, I only CC'd as in if it was on me, it was concealed. Always. Went by the motto 'Always carry, Never tell' And now I'm thinking I may be forced to change my way of thinking (REALLLLLLLLLLLY long story so don't ask) so I feel that I'll be needing a bigger gun even though I strongly prefer my subcompact G27.

curtm1911

imported post

In town carry, A 1911; camping, hiking, out in the boonies, Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum,full cylinder and 3 speed loaders,there are four leggers out there in the backcountry, as well as two leggers, a long gun too sometimes.