• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting the nerve Part III

G

imported post

Well I did it... Unfortunately it was a bitter/sweet experience. Bitter meaning that nothing happened after stopping at Pizza Factory (ET 30 Min), Home Depot (ET 10 min), Walmart (ET 30 min), Albertsons (10 min) and AM/PM Gas Station about5 min. At each establishment I clearly displayed my strong side for unobstructive views and simply nothing happened. No glancing stares that I felt or saw. A manager at Walmart, don't think he was the head honcho but nonetheless a departmental manager who delegated to a sales clerk to show me where the wash cloths were kept looked down at my rig but did not say anything.

I was carrying Ruger SP101 .357mag right side at 3:30 position with my leather holster no retention strap other than the friction of the holster...

The sweet was that I simply could...:celebrate

Thanks to all of you for giving me the confidence to be able to fulfill my rights.

From a Gun Toting Democrat...

Dave

David.Car

imported post

Why is it bitter that nothing happened?

That is a good thing. If people are seeing you carry and they don't care, it means they are accepting it and not being scared by it...

Carry for protection. Not to be noticed.

G

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Why is it bitter that nothing happened?

That is a good thing. If people are seeing you carry and they don't care, it means they are accepting it and not being scared by it...

Carry for protection. Not to be noticed.
I guess what I meant by being bitter is that I wasn't approached by anybody so I could have the opportunity to educate.

Ipurposely displayed my strong side with unobstructive view e.g. pushing shopping cart, reaching to get something off of a shelf in Walmart with plenty of people around was simply a test I put myself through, andin my opinion passed. I did not stand in front of the check out lines do a 360 and yell look at me nor did I purposely hold my arms tightly against my sides...

It was a truly positive experience...

Dave

Machoduck

imported post

I think I know what Dukester means by the bitter part of the experience. First of all, after all the talk and all the worry over what might happen, it's anticlimactic to have nothing happen. Second, I suspect that Dukester is looking for things to happen in a way that would demonstrate that all is as we say; a proof shot, in rifle terms. The proof shots will come; you just won't know when.

Stick with it, Dukester; there will be things said by store managers, cops, the general public, and antigunners. The important thing to remember is that you know more about it than they do, including the cops, if they're hassling you. For example, look at WalMart. Bentonville (Mecca to WalMartians) has the simplest, most straight forward policy one could imagine; they follow the laws of the state the store is in. How can anyone screw that up? Search OCDO for Walmart threads and you'll see what I mean. Anyway, don't worry about your after action critique of yourself; of course you'll find that you were less than perfect. We all do. OCDO is a wonderful resource; continue to use it and we'll be learning from you.

MD

rysa

imported post

After a while it will start to feel like a normal piece of everyday kit that you take with you without thinking. (wallet, keys, knife etc...) and not so much an appendage hanging off your body. I've only been OC'ing for a few months, but the "newness" is starting to wear off and I dont really think about it anymore.

Peoplenotice body language and take thier cues from those around them. If you seem ill-at-ease or nervous they're going to wonder. If you seem totally confident and secure, then they take thatsign from you as well.

just_a_car

imported post

rysa wrote:
After a while it will start to feel like a normal piece of everyday kit that you take with you without thinking. (wallet, keys, knife etc...) and not so much an appendage hanging off your body. I've only been OC'ing for a few months, but the "newness" is starting to wear off and I dont really think about it anymore.

Peoplenotice body language and take thier cues from those around them. If you seem ill-at-ease or nervous they're going to wonder. If you seem totally confident and secure, then they take thatsign from you as well.
+1. Also, if you're going about your normal day "normally", people are even less inclined to even notice your firearm. Most people will see a lump on your hip and assume 'cellphone' or 'iPod'.

Derka

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
rysa wrote:

+1. Also, if you're going about your normal day "normally", people are even less inclined to even notice your firearm. Most people will see a lump on your hip and assume 'cellphone' or 'iPod'.
+1 I carry with a SERPA thigh rig. Most people just give it a glance and keep on their merry way. It's rare that I get a comment, even with mine more obvious thanit likely would be onmy hip.

just_a_car

imported post

There ya go... I use a Serpa CQC hip holster for my G27 with the carbon fiber sticker that shines in the sunlight... it's purdy. :p

I and many I've turned onto OC have all found that once you OC with other OC'ers that do it more often, are more well-versed with the laws, and are generally more comfortable with it, you then become more comfortable with it yourself. I highly suggest getting together with one of our members here and just hanging out for a bit over coffee, lunch or what-have-you. Also, taking the time to read up on the laws and becoming familiar with them will help, as will time; just doing it more often will get you more and more comfortable with it.