• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New people

GenkiSudo

imported post

Hi.....my name is Dustin and I have horrible ADD and OCD. I like long walks on the beach and the bathroom the morning after I eat 1/2lb of jalapenos.

xmirage2kx

imported post

[align=left]
class=F0133itmefs: "....................."
[/align]
Once upon a time, there existed creatures called Trolls, or so the legends and folktales say. According to my reference works on these subjects, Trolls of Scandinavian folklore are usually huge ogres with great strength and little wit. The most famous tales of them have them lurking under bridges to demand payment of those who would cross, killing those who would make the attempt without paying the toll. Later, so the texts say, the stories told that they shrank to a smaller, dwarfish folk who inhabited caves. Eventually, they apparently left our world altogether, and were never seen or heard from again.

But those reports are wrong, for Trolls do indeed exist, even today. They are alive and well and wreaking new havoc on the Internet.

Do you wish to enter a chatroom or participate on a message board? Beware the Trolls! They will appear when you least expect it, and demand a different kind of payment from you. They will assail you with insults, obscenities, and anything offensive they can think of to get you give them what they really want: attention. They will keep up these attacks to watch you cry out in protest and pain, and the more you do so, the more they will keep it up. That's what they really want, after all: a reaction, anyreaction, for that is the coin by which they measure their success. The more they receive, the more they will continue the behavior that is giving them what they want. That it upsets others is of no concern to them -- or, rather, it is of primaryconcern for them, for upsetting people is their business.

Like the Trolls of old, they seem to have great strength, given the kinds of trouble they can cause; but ultimately, also like the Trolls of old, they have little wit. They all use the same tactics, and they all resort to the same ways of provoking people. First insult members of the chatroom or board by calling them names, ridiculing their comments and questioning their intelligence. Then start insulting the subject for which the board or chatroom was created. If that doesn't get enough reaction, start upping the ante by bringing in completely unrelated subjects. Tell the other participants that they (or the subject under discussion) are prejudiced racially, sexually, ethnically, religiously -- take your pick, they'll eventually hit 'em all, and then go for the jugular: doing all this while throwing in obscene language and casting other foul aspersions on anyone who happens to be within range. This is, of course, incredibly inflammatory behavior to any marginally civilized person, and a normal sense of justice and fair play naturally demands defense and protest.

Which is exactly what the Troll is hoping for, because they don'tplay fair. They don't care about the same things that brought the other participants to the site; they only want to get people riled up and see the trouble they created so they can feel big and strong and powerful because they created such a fuss. And while they're watching the outrage and anger fly, they're sitting under the bridge, laughing while they chew on the bones of their victims. All that public indignation has served only one purpose: it fed the Troll's hunger for power and made him happy. It certainly did nothing for the people who got upset.

Tales tell us that warning signs were put up near bridges where Trolls were believed to be living, to keep unsuspecting folk away so that they would not be robbed or killed. You could not cross that bridge without losing either your money or your life, so it was better to turn around and ignore that bridge. Not especially convenient if that was one of few bridges around and you needed to get to the other side, but eventually, the Troll would either starve to death or leave, and the bridge would be safe again. Until the next Troll moved in, and then the same warnings and behavior would apply.

Simply put, Trolls are bullies. They are at heart small and mean people who have a need to make themselves feel big and strong, and the easiest way they can find to do that is by mistreating other people and taking pleasure in their pain. It's not healthy, but it's also not something that will be made better by giving in to the bully. It is far better to walk away from him, to ignore him, and even suffer a few punches rather than give him what he wants by crying and begging for mercy or even fighting with him. If you are not a "good victim," he will look elsewhere to get what he wants. And ultimately, if direct action needs to be taken against any bully, it has to come from the proper authorities: in the case of school bullies, the administration and faculty, or even the police, in the case of Internet bullies, the persons on the site who have the power to block or remove their inflammatory and offensive remarks.

Because if you look closely at what these Internet Trolls say, you will eventually see the truth: They may look like big nasty ogres, but theyre really just sorry little people hiding in their dark caves, coming out to make mischief before running back into hiding where they can watch the trouble they made and laugh all alone in the dark. They're emotional terrorists. Ignoring them isn't easy because it hurts to see them say and do things designed to make people feel upset and angry, but it's the only thing that will make them go away. Ignoring them completely creates an environment that simply does not give them what they're looking for. It's like soaking the woodpile with water: when the match comes along looking for something to burn, it wont catch, so it must go elsewhere to have its fun. But everyonemust turn their backs and not respond, or the Troll will have the hope that if he keeps at it and tries hard enough, he'll get a big enough reaction to start a real fire.

Be it a Troll under a bridge or a Troll on the Internet, the warning sign is the same:

[align=center]DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.[/align]
[align=center] linky[/align]

GenkiSudo

imported post

It sure is easy to dismiss folks as trolls instead of either responding to their post or ignoring them in general. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather either give an honest go to someone's questions, concerns or comments than jump on that lovely "troll" screaming bandwagon.

I thought this forum would have more "mature" members given the premise of it....it's not like this is a World of Warcraft forum where you could expect the average age to be 16 and mudslinging, e-thugging and calling every other poster a troll is the norm. Could be right....I could be wrong but with the amount of unoriginal comments I've seen come out of a few folks, it's looking like the former.

So back to the topic at hand :shock:

I'm new....I'm glad there is a forum like this as I've learned things I didn't know before and I'm in LE myself. But, as with any forum, guess you have to take some folks with a grain of salt.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

"You have the potential to end a life, whether right or wrong, and sometimes I think that gets missed on you guys."

I think everybody, not just people who carry guns, have this potential. I could put my four fingers into a tiger paw and jab somebody with a direct punch to their throat just below the larynx and dislocate their trachea and sit back and watch them suffocate to death.

I could strike somebody by pointing all four finger straight out like somebody would do when asking for a handout and break off the Xyphoid Process of the sturnum while grabbing up under the ribs and pulling violently upwards and left or right to puncture a lung and then sit back and watch my victim choke and die from their own blood.

I could take a #2 pencil and shove it violently up in an uppercut-like motion through the bottom of your chin close to the neck dorsally so it penetrates far enough to enter through the soft pallet of your mouth, through your nasal cavity and into the frontal lobe of your brain and then sit back and watch you spasm like a fish out of water until you become motionless.

I could sit here and write a novel about the many many many ways another person can cause serious bodily injury or death to another and then write another novel on the endless number of items one could use to do it.

To me, a gun is just a tool. I choose the gun as my tool because it is the only peice of equipment that a man can carry that is effective enough to deter all other forms of force that a dirt bag would use to bring harm to me or my family. I liken the gun to the US nuclear arsenal. The mere threat of force is enought to prevent disaster in the hopes that the force will NEVER have to be used.

I know you have heard this a million times, but guns don't kill people. People kill people, and like I described above in my examples, there are lots of ways to do it. If guns were all banned tomorrow, and somehow by miracle all the bad guys could no longer get them too, crime would still be the same or worse. The only difference is that the strong will take advantage of the weak, and the method of dealing death and destruction would switch from guns to all of the other methods that are available to human beings. There are still crowbars and baseball bats, knives, swords and our bare hands etc etc etc... the list goes on forever. I have even looked around the shopfloor at work and detailed about 75 to 100 things and ways to use my environment to take out an individual if need be. I actually laughed when I thought about the stuff around me and said to myself that I would actually feel sorry for an armed guy if he went on a rampage there because I could have him lyingin a pool of blood beggin for his life before he could empty his first clip using the 2" thick aluminum plate and the 12" dial calipers sitting next to me.

The moral of the story: Don't think for a second that most of us have not considered the seriousness of carrying a gun. I find that condescending and insulting that you would think the you areone of the only oneswho takes it seriously and that you have to odasity to think that the "irresponsible" posting of a miniscule amount of people on a forum on the internet will threaten your right to bear arms, concealed or otherwise.

I know you stand behind your point of view. I'm just letting you know how I feel about it. We don't have to agree. I know your position. I know I shouldn't pass judegement, but the way you have posted from the beginning has been disappointing. I don't see you entirely as a troll but more of a misguided individual who is passionate about their beliefs. I do question your motives though, as there are plenty of other forums of which you could join out there that share your point of view. You should have figured it out on your first day posting on here that your methods were out of line. This is not saying that the responses of the others were not equally out of line in some cases.

Of course this is all just my opinion. If you are truly an individual of merit, you will not post back to this forum in response to my comments and do as you said you would do and not come back. You have a chance to do the honorable thing and not fire back at me and show that you can also take someone's opinion without going off the handle. Be a man and take it for what it is. As far as I'm concerned, you owe everyone on this forum an apology for your conduct. If anything, I think YOU are the "guy who shouldn't have a gun"

Kevin

swjr

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
To me, a gun is just a tool. I choose the gun as my tool because it is the only peice of equipment that a man can carry that is effective enough to deter all other forms of force that a dirt bag would use to bring harm to me or my family. I liken the gun to the US nuclear arsenal. The mere threat of force is enought to prevent disaster in the hopes that the force will NEVER have to be used.
Despite the fact that this thread has stooped to a petty fight about who is trolling, or not, I would like to bring the focus back again to the point of opencarry.org (as I see it of course). I would have to agree with Kevin's above statement that the mere threat of force is enough to prevent "disaster". How many weapons can a female carry in today's world that will provide her with adequate protection? A gun has the same stopping power regardless of who is pulling the trigger.

I own a gun and am in support of open carrying because I feel it is a deterrant to violence and the more people showing their willingness to defend themselves and their family from coming to harm the safer the world will be. Since there will always be those in the world that are remiss to protect themselves, I have to be comforted by the fact that me and my family will be protected by our 9mms....

I am a long-time "viewer" and first time poster to Opencarry.org and was introducted to the site by my husband (who discovered the site due to the news spotlight in West Valley City).

ainokea

imported post

ProtectedbyHIS9mm wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
Despite the fact that this thread has stooped to a petty fight about who is trolling, or not, I would like to bring the focus back again to the point of opencarry.org (as I see it of course). I would have to agree with Kevin's above statement that the mere threat of force is enough to prevent "disaster". How many weapons can a female carry in today's world that will provide her with adequate protection? A gun has the same stopping power regardless of who is pulling the trigger.

I own a gun and am in support of open carrying because I feel it is a deterrant to violence and the more people showing their willingness to defend themselves and their family from coming to harm the safer the world will be. Since there will always be those in the world that are remiss to protect themselves, I have to be comforted by the fact that me and my family will be protected by our 9mms....

I am a long-time "viewer" and first time poster to Opencarry.org and was introducted to the site by my husband (who discovered the site due to the news spotlight in West Valley City).

Welcome!! :celebrate

scorpioajr

imported post

ProtectedbyHIS9mm wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
...and was introducted to the site by my husband (who discovered the site due to the news spotlight in West Valley City).

Now go get your gun from under the bed Hon, and throw it on.... lol

swjr

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
ProtectedbyHIS9mm wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
...and was introducted to the site by my husband (who discovered the site due to the news spotlight in West Valley City).

LOL - that's why I'm protected by YOUR 9mm - you have it on ALL THE TIME NOW. :p

scorpioajr

imported post

ProtectedbyHIS9mm wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
ProtectedbyHIS9mm wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:

LOL - that's why I'm protected by YOUR 9mm - you have it on ALL THE TIME NOW. :p
damn straight. :monkey

xRapidDavex

imported post

ProtectedbyHIS9mm wrote:
Despite the fact that this thread has stooped to a petty fight about who is trolling, or not,
hahaha.... trolling...

wh17_cacciotolli_trolling.jpg

What bait are you using?