• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio OC'er detained- audio recorded

tito887

imported post

hey guys we need to remember. "am I being detained?" Why am I being detained? Am I free to go? Unless you want to have to deal with this

XD-40-Bob

imported post

I would have told them the PERMIT is for my gun that IS concealed and I DON'T need a permit for the OC.

I can't OC because I would have told them to arrest me if they thought I was inducing a Panic and I don't think I would have stayed even keeled so I would NOT be a good Ambassador for OC, some people have the gift of gab, I don't :(

And I sure as hell would have went in to the station to talk to the Chief and asked HIM directly for his understanding of the OC law? I would actually be calm with the Chief since I doubt he would be threatening like the SGT in the audio clip saying he could arrest me for this and that but what REALLY would have made me mad is when he said he would call the Sheriff and get the CCW Permit revoked :cuss:that's why many people don't trust cops and why many people escalate lawful actions into arguments and lawsuits

What I find comical is that the OC law is cut and dried, so how hard is it for Police Officers to know this law? there is no interpretation snafu, OC IS LEGAL, so stop bothering law abiding Citizens, I figure a few more lawsuits MIGHT get the message across to Police Depts. across the nation where OC IS allowed and Ohio is an OC allowing State

Moon Doggie

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Moon Doggie wrote:
how hard is it for Police Officers to know this law?
I strongly suspect most LEOs know OC is legal in Ohio.

LEOs are not harassing people who OC because they're "ignorant" of the law. They are harassing them because they have the nerve to open carry.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Over on the New Hampshire forum they've got a pretty decent letter of complaint. Of course, you'd have to take out the New Hampshire references and insert Ohio references.

The police officer involved has a police chief - to whom does this police chief report to, a municipal mayor? If so, that's where you want to send the letter, with an info copy to your state representative, maybe even the state's attorney general.

You might even refer to the two federal lawsuits filed against Dickson City, Pennsylvania over open carry harassment. The defendants in those cases are the police officers, their chief, the mayor and the municipality.

The best defense is a good offense.

XD-40-Bob

imported post

Ohio Patriot wrote:
Moon Doggie wrote:

LEOs are not harassing people who OC because they're "ignorant" of the law. They are harassing them because they have the nerve to open carry.

I agree somewhat on this, but I have heard similar voice recordings of Police stopping someone while OC andsome of them firmly believe that to OC in Ohio is against the Law.

But I also feel that some Police can't believe that an Ohio citizen has the audacity to OC in "His" Town, City or County, I graduated in 1979 and and quite a few people in Tuscarawas County OC'd and the Cops and Sheriff Deputies never blinked an eye, now days it seems like everyone gets harassed and I think it is because these NEW Cops & Deputies are young and belligerent, and they watch to many episodes of SWAT on TV and the new young LEO's think they can make the rules as they go.

Many of these NEW young LEO's that haven't been in the Military seems like they want to play Soldier, and the ones that HAVE been in the Military need to realize that thay are back in the USA and they DON'T make the Laws/Rules in this Country

MetalChris

imported post

Moon Doggie wrote:
Ohio Patriot wrote:
Moon Doggie wrote:

Snip

...these NEW Cops & Deputies...watch to many episodes of SWAT on TV and...think they can make the rules as they go.
There you have it. I think you're onto something there.

Kungfu

imported post

Has anything changed since this situation was recorded? What are the possible or pendinglegal implications and/or ramifications of this situation to correct it or discipline those involved?

Everyone needs to taketito887's advice on what we need to remember to say.

Brian D.

imported post

Kungfu wrote:
Has anything changed since this situation was recorded? What are the possible or pendinglegal implications and/or ramifications of this situation to correct it or discipline those involved?

Everyone needs to taketito887's advice on what we need to remember to say.

Kungfu, the folks at Ohioans For Concealed Carry are working behind the scenes on behalf of their member who had this most unpleasant encounter. On our OFCC forum, the honchos are not saying specifically who they've been in contact with in Willowick, but it's safe to assume they've gone higher up the town's chain of command than the Sergeant who seems to have been in charge during the incident.

Stay tuned.

rDigital

imported post

Kungfu, the folks at Ohioans For Concealed Carry are working behind the scenes on behalf of their member who had this most unpleasant encounter. On our OFCC forum, the honchos are not saying specifically who they've been in contact with in Willowick, but it's safe to assume they've gone higher up the town's chain of command than the Sergeant who seems to have been in charge during the incident

I can confirm this. I was the one stopped and we are working on this issue currently.

reefteach

imported post

Update:

Police reports and radio braodcasts available.

OFCC meetings with Mayor, city officialsand LEOs.

The initail "guy witha gun" 911 call was made by an off duty LEO!

In light of the fact that there were two separate departments involved, it is becoming apparent that there is a larger issue at hand than just additional training for Willowick Officers and dispatchers regarding the legality of open carry. It is our belief that a meaningful training action needs to be taken on a statewide level and will be working towards that end.
http://www.ohioccw.org/content/view/4020/83/

possumboy

imported post

tito887 wrote:
hey guys we need to remember. "am I being detained?" Why am I being detained? Am I free to go? Unless you want to have to deal with this

More like:

"Am I being detained or arrested?"
If the answer is not Yes.
"Then I am free to go."

And attempt to exit the encounter.

MetalChris

imported post

I also am shocked that a cop made the MWAG call. What a pathetic girl. And Turner needs to be stripped of his gun and badge.