• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCers in fresno, Ca

calmp9

imported post

Hell, they issue CCWs over there. Why would they want to open carrry?

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

I want to START oc'ing here in Fresno myself. I want to actually setup something like what they have done in NH with the open carry litter pickup events. I want to locate others who want to open carry (unloaded) to help show those here in the Fresno/Clovis area that it is LEGAL and OK to do.

Now the thing though is I want to make sure we follow the letter of the law as well as practice "police intervention" and how to properly respond and know your rights to what you MUST tell them and what not to.

I think it would be best to train those around us that if and when we have to deal with police who might try and look at us as criminals we 100% know the law to the "T".

Video taped and or audio recorded the entire time. The more we do it I think the safer this city will end up being.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
poothrowingape wrote:
i dont want to conceal carry. i want to open carry.
Exactly.  Even if concealed carry was completely decriminalized and unregulated, I would probably still opt to open carry 90%+ of the time.

With CC, in addition to requiring you to present your weapon to obtain any deterrent effect, once such deterrence becomes necessary, the weapon must be removed from concealment. CC is clearly a liability.

Furthermore, OC is more comfortable.

Why would you ever want to CC? We're not criminals...

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

Agreed, I would rather someone SEE it then assume I don't have one anyways. Its like that ADT sign on your front yard or that blinking car alarm light that deters many. Why hide the warning signs of "I will NOT be a victim".....

I like the open carry option even if it must be unloaded. I can get clip ready if needed anyways to protect myself and those around me.

I am thankful I found out about this info.... Now to FULLY understand it and where it will be allowed so I can be 100% inside the law, not trying to be a martyr or anything...

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

Does anyone have the fresno school zones mapped out or "oc carry zones" that allow us to open carry unloaded? Worth asking if there are others here in Fresno currently open carrying and know where they can or can't do it.

Not trying to toss my own butt in jail do to a simple mistake as incorrect mapping.

poothrowingape

imported post

fresno-opencarry-now wrote:
Does anyone have the fresno school zones mapped out or "oc carry zones" that allow us to open carry unloaded? Worth asking if there are others here in Fresno currently open carrying and know where they can or can't do it.

Not trying to toss my own butt in jail do to a simple mistake as incorrect mapping.
well to start off theres lots of topics here with downloadable pamphlets that scetch out the laws.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I made a thread a while back where I brought up the idea of making school maps, but the general consensus seemed to be that it's a bad idea.

However, it's easy to make your own google maps custom map with nice 1000' circles on every school in your neighborhood, but even this isn't to be trusted unless you are certain as to the extent of the school grounds.

This thread discusses how to draw a radius in google maps:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=7391&forum_id=12

Once again though, in my advice your best bet is to stay far away from schools! :shock:

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

thank you for the response and the help with the radius map... Great help indeed.

marshaul wrote:
I made a thread a while back where I brought up the idea of making school maps, but the general consensus seemed to be that it's a bad idea.

However, it's easy to make your own google maps custom map with nice 1000' circles on every school in your neighborhood, but even this isn't to be trusted unless you are certain as to the extent of the school grounds.

Once again though, in my advice your best bet is to stay far away from schools! :shock:

poothrowingape

imported post

marshaul wrote:

wow thats pretty sweet. thanks for that!

plus, very good advice. lol.

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

I have a question BUT need to get others thoughts on this. With gas prices I choose to walk to the store for whatever it is I am looking to buy during the day. What are peoples thoughts on me going to the liquor store to get a 12 pack open carrying?

No drinking BEFORE the walk or during BUT would that be an issue? In my mind I do not see any issue but can see how a guy with a gun + a 12'r being an issue for a cop.

I know I need to work into this BUT I can't see any issue in my mind since nothing illegal would be going on BUT not sure of the ability to have alcohol WHILE carrying unloaded.

thoughts or suggestions..,

I just dont need to use the car for every trip BUT want to be prepared for anything if need be.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I don't see any legal or moral issue with drinking while armed, unless you have an alcohol addiction or plan on getting silly drunk.

I liken it to driving (though driving is far more dangerous than carrying a gun). If you're sober enough to drive then you're certainly sober enough to carry.

Carrying beer down the sidewalk is legal. As long as you're carrying legally I don't see why you should get any special attention.

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

Just wondering as I heard as far as SOME places not allowing carrying inside a place with alcohol and so on. Just trying to see what any potential issue MIGHT be. Happy to get people USED to it here in fresno clovis BUT making sure things will be fine without me having any issues.

sounds good ..

CA_Libertarian wrote:
I don't see any legal or moral issue with drinking while armed, unless you have an alcohol addiction or plan on getting silly drunk.

I liken it to driving (though driving is far more dangerous than carrying a gun). If you're sober enough to drive then you're certainly sober enough to carry.

Carrying beer down the sidewalk is legal. As long as you're carrying legally I don't see why you should get any special attention.

poothrowingape

imported post

no that isnt illegal. you could be buying it for later. but i would keep the booze in a non see through bag; that is a law(a stupid one, like many of them). and a leo will no doubt try to bust you for anything once he finds out he cant nab you for the gun.

fresno-opencarry-now

imported post

We will be setting up a open carry litter removal day here in Fresno once I can locate about 10 of us who would be willing to go. I want to contact the local news as well as the local p.d. to SHOWCASE this local effort here in Fresno.

If there is anyone on here who is willing or wanting to join in a local effort to clean up the streets WHILE bringing up a great RIGHT to the media and public then pm me.

Here is where I got the idea from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue7uvsUeQC0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXnK5UyRI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2AS7a2Tt0A

-------------------------------------------------

What I would like to do is setup

1. open carry litter removal events in fresno
2. open carry grafitti removal events in fresno
3. open carry bbq events in fresno

I want to start small (makes sense indeed) but hope to end up getting more and more people LOCALLY helping with cleanups + gun rights awareness.

Why have a right if you don't use it? Open Carry for a good cause then....