Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .45 1911, Taurus Judge, or AK-47?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Ok, so I've narrowed my next firearm purchase down to one of 3 options, but now I'm stuck. I currently have a full-sized Smith and Wesson SW99 .40 for open carry, a Kel-Tec P3AT .380 for deep concealment/BUG, a Walther PPK/s for casual concealment and special occasions, a Mossberg Persuader 12 gauge, and a Winchester Model 70 .308.

I'm trying to decide between the 3 listed in the subject: 1911, Judge, or AK. I could get any of them for around the same price, so that's why I'm torn at the moment...

The 1911 would satisfy my desire for a more presentable open carry piece, that would also lend itself better to IWB carry.

The Judge satisfies my desire for a large caliber revolver. I want a revolver for the reliability, and the ability to fireeither .45 long colt or .410 shot shell just makes it seem like it would make a good companion for home or travel.

The AK-47 is an option I'm considering because I currently do not have any sort of light "assault" rifle. While I enjoyed the .223 platform while I was in the Marines, I'm leaning towards the AK because of the larger caliber and increased reliability.

So yeah, opinions from anyone and everyone are appreciated. I would especially like feedback from someone who owns and/or has fired a Taurus Judge. I'm pretty familiar with the operation and function of the other two...

Post imported post

Wow Dre, you're really bouncing off the ends of the extremes! LOL!!
    The Judge and the 1911 are plentiful and prices should remain relatively static (hopefully), but AK kits are starting to dry up as it were, and soon you won't be able to secure one without going American Made. Hmmmmm........I'd go with the AK, seems that you have enough in the way of hand artillery and a nice semi AK would fit nicely. Then get your 1911 then the Judge.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
    Wow Dre, you're really bouncing off the ends of the extremes! LOL!!
    The Judge and the 1911 are plentiful and prices should remain relatively static (hopefully), but AK kits are starting to dry up as it were, and soon you won't be able to secure one without going American Made. Hmmmmm........I'd go with the AK, seems that you have enough in the way of hand artillery and a nice semi AK would fit nicely. Then get your 1911 then the Judge.
    Yes I am dangit! You've made some good points, especially that I already have a few handguns, so the AK is the only one that is actually filling an empty position. I'm still undecided, however lol. What do the rest of you think?

Post imported post

No question... it's not even close... get the AK.

Post imported post

I just AK'd myself a couple of months ago....got a SAR 1 with nasty furniture for a song, then I fixed the furniture. Looks quite spiffy now.

Do the AK while they're available, and stock up on mags and ammo. I just paid $115 for #500 wolf 7.62x39 at the gun show last month. Ammo is going UP!

Post imported post

If you don't already own an Assualt Rifle, I'd go with the AK.

Gunbroker.com has some cheap ones for a few hundred bucks, and the ammo is cheap too.

AK ALL THE WAY !

Post imported post

AK

Post imported post

OBXMIKE wrote:
    I just paid $115 for #500 wolf 7.62x39 at the gun show last month.

I don't know if it's changed recently but that Wolf ammo used to be nasty and corrosive stuff. I know it's an AK, but I'd strongly recommend a thorough cleaning after firing the Wolf ammo.

Post imported post

This may help you Make up your mind.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

After testing the Judge, O_P made the following statements;

"Lessons learned:
    1. Jack bought this pistol for snakes and it looks like a fine tool for that job.

2. Birdshot, in any gauge, is for little birds.

3. Buckshot out of a .410 does not penetrate enough to be an effective personal defense load.

4. The rifled slug was also a disappointment and did not have enough weight or power or penetration to be effective as a defense load.

5. The .45 Long Colt loads had plenty of penetration and would be the preferred defense load for this pistol.

6. It's fun to bust clays with this pistol. "

Tarzan

Post imported post

I agree with the getting the AK to fill the gap in your collection. Plus, it is the one most likely to be banned by the gov't in the near future making it more expensive and more difficult to obtain.

There are several pistols I want as well but I am taking my own advice and waiting until I collect an AR-15, AK variant and .308 or .30-06 scoped long range firearm first. I skipped a sweeet deal on an AK last year and am still kicking myself over it . If I knew then what I know now I would have that hole plugged already.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

AK............... your covered for CC & OC and rifle. Go with light assualt!

State Researcher

Post imported post

I appreciate all the replies and advice. You guys are pretty much right about the AK. The thing that has been keeping me away from buying one is that I wont be shooting/carrying it nearly as much as I would a new handgun. After all, I could get away with openly carrying a Judge around town but an AK may generate too much unwanted attention haha.

Ok so I guess now I'm going to turn this thread into more AK advice. The local gun shop gets "surplus" AKs in once in a while that are made out of country, but I don't remember where. Are there some AKs that are absolute junk that I need to avoid? I know not to expect a beautifully machined, super accurate rifle lol.

Post imported post

Just stay away from the Chinese variants and you should be fine. I have a WASR-10 (Romanian variant) and it hasn't given me any problems. It isn't nearly as inaccurate as you might think.

Post imported post

I own a Norinco and there is nothing wrong with the Chinese AK's except the fact you can't buy new ones anymore.

http://www.ak47world.com/

You can find plenty of info here too, and go with the AK, you will not be disappointed at all and they are Maximum Fun!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

CURTM:

Regarding your comment on Chinese AK's, I agree with you, I had one and never had a problem. Also owned a Norinco 1911, and it remains in my mind as the best 1911 I've ever had.

alec

Post imported post

I personally have no problem with the Chinese AKs, I'd never want one, it's just the word I've gotten from others. From what I've heard from others the Eastern Europeans and the Russians are the best at making the AKs, the Chinese still work and are AKs but I don't think they are the same quality. It's all a matter of opinion though.

Post imported post

This is just an observation:

A friend of mine has an Eastern European AK variant, not sure country of origin, but in a side by side comparison, my Norinco has thicker receiver metal, fit and finish close but my Norinco wins again, and as for other features, the gas tube removal lever on mine is tight, his just flops around loosely. Also, I read somewhere, on an AK website of some reliability of sources, the Chinese are very good quality, in fact they were rated just behind Milled Russian AK's. They have a thicker metal receiver than East Europe made ones, and are more reliable too.

http://www.bobtuley.com/Kalashnikov.htm

http://www.redstararms.com/

http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/

http://club.guns.ru/eng/index.htm

http://www.ak47world.com/

Info available to read here, I think it is on one of these sites, anyway, I have no complaints with my Norinco, other than the fact, I can't get another new one, thanks Slick Willie Klintoon.

Alec411:

You are right about Norinco 1911's, I have heard that they are strong and well made too, and all aftermarket parts interchange with no problems. If I ever see one I will buy it right there. No lawyer induced product changes either.

Post imported post

Like I said it's all personal preference. You prefer your Chinese AK I prefer my Romanian AK. I like to have something made in another country besides China.

Post imported post

I've had mine 13 years and never a burp, bobble or stoppage, not too bad a record IMO

Post imported post

The Judge and the 1911 won't be in danger of disappearing if Obama gets into the White House.

That said, get yourself an AK and as many spare magazines and buckets of ammo as you can afford.

Those zombies aren't going to stay away forever.

Post imported post

Shamalama

I have no Idea, why you addressed a response to me, when I didn't make a statement beyond the fact, that I had had a Norinco 1911 & liked it!

Post imported post

Noob

I don't care where my 1911's come from! Only that they perform as they should.

BTW Romainia is a communist country also.

Post imported post

If i may suggest something for you, there are more and more assault rifles available with the "happy medium" between 5.56mm and 7.62mm. it's the 6.8 SPL. This is available on many ar-15 model rifles and my new favorate which will be my next weapon to buy-STG556 maid by MSAR (Microtech Small Arms Resurch). It comes standard with a 5.56mm but with an upgrade that is rather cheap, it converts to 6.8mm SPL. Different bolt and different barrel. And since you are former military, you know how easy it is to change the barrel on a M240B right? Not more difficult. It is a gas piston rod operation much like the veneralble AK-47 and anouther good thing is you have the 223 barrel and bolt now which is slightly cheaper then 6.8 and you can get yet anouther kit that with the same bolt it not fired .22LR in single shot for extremely cheap range time. Just look up the weapon yourself on MSAR's web site...

A few things i forgot to mention is it's a Bull-Pup design. With a 16 inch Barrel (same lenght as the GI M4 Carbine) it is 2 1/2 inches shorter then the M-4 with the collapsable butt stock at it's shortest. Yet it still has the full stock feel as an M-16. It is a Styer Aug clone. It's a little more pricy but it is one of the best assualt rifle designes i have seen.

Post imported post

EVANS 86IFAIL TO SEE HOW YOUR REPLY RELATES TO MY SIMPLE STATEMENT WHICH INDICATED THATI HAD, AND LIKED, A NORINCO 1911.

ALEC

Post imported post

it was not a reply to you but the original post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast