• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.45 1911, Taurus Judge, or AK-47?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok, so I've narrowed my next firearm purchase down to one of 3 options, but now I'm stuck. I currently have a full-sized Smith and Wesson SW99 .40 for open carry, a Kel-Tec P3AT .380 for deep concealment/BUG, a Walther PPK/s for casual concealment and special occasions, a Mossberg Persuader 12 gauge, and a Winchester Model 70 .308.

I'm trying to decide between the 3 listed in the subject: 1911, Judge, or AK. I could get any of them for around the same price, so that's why I'm torn at the moment...

The 1911 would satisfy my desire for a more presentable open carry piece, that would also lend itself better to IWB carry.

The Judge satisfies my desire for a large caliber revolver. I want a revolver for the reliability, and the ability to fireeither .45 long colt or .410 shot shell just makes it seem like it would make a good companion for home or travel.

The AK-47 is an option I'm considering because I currently do not have any sort of light "assault" rifle. While I enjoyed the .223 platform while I was in the Marines, I'm leaning towards the AK because of the larger caliber and increased reliability.

So yeah, opinions from anyone and everyone are appreciated. I would especially like feedback from someone who owns and/or has fired a Taurus Judge. I'm pretty familiar with the operation and function of the other two...

Evil Ernie

imported post

Wow Dre, you're really bouncing off the ends of the extremes! LOL!!
The Judge and the 1911 are plentiful and prices should remain relatively static (hopefully), but AK kits are starting to dry up as it were, and soon you won't be able to secure one without going American Made. Hmmmmm........I'd go with the AK, seems that you have enough in the way of hand artillery and a nice semi AK would fit nicely. Then get your 1911 then the Judge.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
Wow Dre, you're really bouncing off the ends of the extremes! LOL!!
The Judge and the 1911 are plentiful and prices should remain relatively static (hopefully), but AK kits are starting to dry up as it were, and soon you won't be able to secure one without going American Made. Hmmmmm........I'd go with the AK, seems that you have enough in the way of hand artillery and a nice semi AK would fit nicely. Then get your 1911 then the Judge.

Yes I am dangit! :D You've made some good points, especially that I already have a few handguns, so the AK is the only one that is actually filling an empty position. I'm still undecided, however lol. What do the rest of you think?

OBXMIKE

imported post

I just AK'd myself a couple of months ago....got a SAR 1 with nasty furniture for a song, then I fixed the furniture. Looks quite spiffy now.

Do the AK while they're available, and stock up on mags and ammo. I just paid $115 for #500 wolf 7.62x39 at the gun show last month. Ammo is going UP! :cuss:

tarzan1888

imported post

This may help you Make up your mind.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

After testing the Judge, O_P made the following statements;

"Lessons learned:
1. Jack bought this pistol for snakes and it looks like a fine tool for that job.

2. Birdshot, in any gauge, is for little birds.

3. Buckshot out of a .410 does not penetrate enough to be an effective personal defense load.

4. The rifled slug was also a disappointment and did not have enough weight or power or penetration to be effective as a defense load.

5. The .45 Long Colt loads had plenty of penetration and would be the preferred defense load for this pistol.

6. It's fun to bust clays with this pistol.
smile_cool.gif
"

Tarzan

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree with the getting the AK to fill the gap in your collection. Plus, it is the one most likely to be banned by the gov't in the near future making it more expensive and more difficult to obtain.

There are several pistols I want as well but I am taking my own advice and waiting until I collect an AR-15, AK variant and .308 or .30-06 scoped long range firearm first. I skipped a sweeet deal on an AK last year and am still kicking myself over it :cry:. If I knew then what I know now I would have that hole plugged already.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I appreciate all the replies and advice. You guys are pretty much right about the AK. The thing that has been keeping me away from buying one is that I wont be shooting/carrying it nearly as much as I would a new handgun. After all, I could get away with openly carrying a Judge around town :Dbut an AK may generate too much unwanted attention haha.

Ok so I guess now I'm going to turn this thread into more AK advice. The local gun shop gets "surplus" AKs in once in a while that are made out of country, but I don't remember where. Are there some AKs that are absolute junk that I need to avoid? I know not to expect a beautifully machined, super accurate rifle lol.

N00blet45

imported post

Just stay away from the Chinese variants and you should be fine. I have a WASR-10 (Romanian variant) and it hasn't given me any problems. It isn't nearly as inaccurate as you might think.

curtm1911

imported post

I own a Norinco and there is nothing wrong with the Chinese AK's except the fact you can't buy new ones anymore.

http://www.ak47world.com/

You can find plenty of info here too, and go with the AK, you will not be disappointed at all and they are Maximum Fun!!!

Attachments

• DSC00267.JPG
    DSC00267.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 3,044

Alec411

imported post

CURTM:

Regarding your comment on Chinese AK's, I agree with you, I had one and never had a problem. Also owned a Norinco 1911, and it remains in my mind as the best 1911 I've ever had.

alec

N00blet45

imported post

I personally have no problem with the Chinese AKs, I'd never want one, it's just the word I've gotten from others. From what I've heard from others the Eastern Europeans and the Russians are the best at making the AKs, the Chinese still work and are AKs but I don't think they are the same quality. It's all a matter of opinion though.

curtm1911

imported post

This is just an observation:

A friend of mine has an Eastern European AK variant, not sure country of origin, but in a side by side comparison, my Norinco has thicker receiver metal, fit and finish close but my Norinco wins again, and as for other features, the gas tube removal lever on mine is tight, his just flops around loosely. Also, I read somewhere, on an AK website of some reliability of sources, the Chinese are very good quality, in fact they were rated just behind Milled Russian AK's. They have a thicker metal receiver than East Europe made ones, and are more reliable too.

http://www.bobtuley.com/Kalashnikov.htm

http://www.redstararms.com/

http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/

http://club.guns.ru/eng/index.htm

http://www.ak47world.com/

Info available to read here, I think it is on one of these sites, anyway, I have no complaints with my Norinco, other than the fact, I can't get another new one, thanks Slick Willie Klintoon.

Alec411:

You are right about Norinco 1911's, I have heard that they are strong and well made too, and all aftermarket parts interchange with no problems. If I ever see one I will buy it right there. No lawyer induced product changes either.

shamalama

imported post

The Judge and the 1911 won't be in danger of disappearing if Obama gets into the White House.

That said, get yourself an AK and as many spare magazines and buckets of ammo as you can afford.

Those zombies aren't going to stay away forever.