• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.45 1911, Taurus Judge, or AK-47?

Alec411

imported post

Shamalama

I have no Idea, why you addressed a response to me, when I didn't make a statement beyond the fact, that I had had a Norinco 1911 & liked it!:question:

Alec411

imported post

Noob

I don't care where my 1911's come from! Only that they perform as they should.

BTW Romainia is a communist country also.

Evans86

imported post

If i may suggest something for you, there are more and more assault rifles available with the "happy medium" between 5.56mm and 7.62mm. it's the 6.8 SPL. This is available on many ar-15 model rifles and my new favorate which will be my next weapon to buy-STG556 maid by MSAR (Microtech Small Arms Resurch). It comes standard with a 5.56mm but with an upgrade that is rather cheap, it converts to 6.8mm SPL. Different bolt and different barrel. And since you are former military, you know how easy it is to change the barrel on a M240B right? Not more difficult. It is a gas piston rod operation much like the veneralble AK-47 and anouther good thing is you have the 223 barrel and bolt now which is slightly cheaper then 6.8 and you can get yet anouther kit that with the same bolt it not fired .22LR in single shot for extremely cheap range time. Just look up the weapon yourself on MSAR's web site...

A few things i forgot to mention is it's a Bull-Pup design. With a 16 inch Barrel (same lenght as the GI M4 Carbine) it is 2 1/2 inches shorter then the M-4 with the collapsable butt stock at it's shortest. Yet it still has the full stock feel as an M-16. It is a Styer Aug clone. It's a little more pricy but it is one of the best assualt rifle designes i have seen.

Alec411

imported post

EVANS 86IFAIL TO SEE HOW YOUR REPLY RELATES TO MY SIMPLE STATEMENT WHICH INDICATED THATI HAD, AND LIKED, A NORINCO 1911.

ALEC

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Holy crap whats up with the random arguing? lol It's like someone's doing a bad impression of HankT.

Anyway, while the 6.8 caliber rifle you mentioned does sound interesting, it wouldn't fill the gap that the AK would. I want an AK because it is extremely reliable in unfavorable conditions, fires a round that will cause sufficient damage and penetrate wood and cinder block, and is chambered in one of the most common calibers around at the moment. It also fits the price range I'm looking at. I am not in the market for an expensive, newly designed assault rifle and cartridge right now.

Now my next decision is whether to attempt to acquire a fully automatic AK or not. Are AK's as easy to convert to full-auto as ARs are? Please don't go off on the legalities and such, I am well aware of the requirements for legally owning a machine gun. I'm just wondering if it's possible to acquire one, or make one, and which would be cheaper and/or easier.

Evans86

imported post

The internals of the STG-556 are designed after the AK and more simular to that then anything else, and there is an AK already chambered in 556 the AK-74 accually.No stress test have been on the STG-556 done as of yet though. It is too new.

But as to your question of converting, as far as i know it is just as easy as with an AR-15. I know people who own both and well, have done some work of their own.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

apcci2 wrote:
What configuration/manufacturer are you considering for an AK?

Well that's what I'm trying to figure out, since I don't know much about them to begin with. The local gun shop gets what they call "military surplus" AKs in on a regular basis, so I need to stop by there and find out where they're made. I'm obviously looking for a 7.62 type, and I would prefer to have a synthetic, collapsible/folding stock. I'd also like the option to easily add optics.

lol On a side note, it's funny as hell that I just flipped on the discovery channel to find the guy on Futureweapons disassembling an AK lol.

Alec411

imported post

DRE

BY FAR THE RUSSIAN AK-47'S (THE ORIGINALS BY KALASHNIKOV)ARE THE MOST RELIABLE, DURABLE, AND COMBAT ACCURATE.

ALEC

imperialism2024

imported post

Well... if you promise to OC it everywhere you go, then I say go for the Judge. :D

But otherwise, I vote AK. As for quality, I've put it this way... there are guys sitting around in caves in Pakistan hammering AK parts out of sheet metal, and then putting them together with their bare hands. They're not complex guns, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a "bad" AK. Now, you might overpay, which is a different story, but an AK is an AK is an AK, to a certain degree.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok so the local range has a Romanian AK with two mags and a sling for $470. The stocks are black, all though I'm not sure if they are wood or synthetic. Sooo what do you guys think?

Alec411

imported post

You know that my pref is Russian, but I haven't heard enough negative about the Romainian to discredit. How large are mags?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Alec411 wrote:
You know that my pref is Russian, but I haven't heard enough negative about the Romainian to discredit. How large are mags?
30 rounds...I forgot to mention that the shoulder stock is a side-folding wire one. It doesn't feel very comfortable, but I'm not worried about comfort :D.

Alec411

imported post

IF NEEDED, COMFORT PLAYS NO ROLL. SOME GUYS LIKE SIDE FOLDERS, SOME OVERHEAD FOLDERS. i JUST LIKE A BUTT STOCK. FAR TOO MANY TEST PROVE THAT THOSE WHO AIM, VS PRAY & SPRAY, ARE BOUND TO LIVE MUCH LONGER. iF SOMEONE TELLS YOU THAT OTHER THAN BUTT STOCK IS FASTER ------- TELL HIM THEY ONLY MISS FASTER & MORE OFTEN!

AbNo

imported post

shamalama wrote:
The Judge and the 1911 won't be in danger of disappearing if Obama gets into the White House.

The hell they won't, Obama hates all guns, and so do his cronies.

shamalama wrote:
That said, get yourself an AK and as many spare magazines and buckets of ammo as you can afford.

This.

nova

imported post

Walleye wrote:
...chambered in 556 the AK-74 accually...
I'm sure a lot of us will be jumping on you for this, but the AK74 is chambered in 5.45x39mm, not 5.56. ;)
Yep...the AK-101 is chambered in 5.56x45 NATO :)