• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tumwater Home Depot

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I was OCing today and went to HD to grab some spraypaint to recoat my steel wheels for the summer...

As I'm in line, the cashier looks at me, notices my pistol, but doesn't say anything about it, just continues smiling...

As I get up to her, I have my card out, ready to pay, and we do the usual checking out small talk.. When, out of nowhere, she asks for my ID and says that she has to see it because I'm buying spraypaint.

There's so many things wrong with that, I don't even know where to start on this one...

I think common sense is getting more scarce these days...

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
I was OCing today and went to HD to grab some spraypaint to recoat my steel wheels for the summer...

As I'm in line, the cashier looks at me, notices my pistol, but doesn't say anything about it, just continues smiling...

As I get up to her, I have my card out, ready to pay, and we do the usual checking out small talk.. When, out of nowhere, she asks for my ID and says that she has to see it because I'm buying spraypaint.

There's so many things wrong with that, I don't even know where to start on this one...

It has nothing to do with your OC. Many stores require it because of the amount of spray paint used for graffitti. Probably just store policy.

It doesn't stop graffiti, just stops kids from buying the paint from them. It's a "feel good" measure for the store's liberal policy writers.

just_a_car

imported post

It's likely because of kids using it to "huff"; inhaling solvents to give a brief high. Very stupid way to get a high, as it permanently does Central Nervous System (CNS) damage (i.e., the brain) and can kill you from suffocation the first time you do it.

Same thing as needing ID to purchase Pseudoephedrine (Pseudafed), because it's used to make Methamphetamine.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

BobCav wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

It has nothing to do with your OC.  Many stores require it because of the amount of spray paint used for graffitti.  Probably just store policy.

It doesn't stop graffiti, just stops kids from buying the paint from them.  It's a "feel good" measure for the store's liberal policy writers.

She tried to say I should take it as a compliment, that I looked young...

I didn't say anything about my pistol, but the LAST thing I'd be worried about, if someone under 18 was carrying a pistol, would be if I could sell them spraypaint or not, LOL.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
What color paint?  The metallics have a higher solvent content, and are huffed more frequently by kids.  I've been asked for ID when I buy metallic paint, and I'm approaching the half-century mark!

Gloss black.

I don't think OC was the 'cause' of it, I just think it wierd that I was questioned about my capability to properly use spraypaint, but my pistol was never questioned...

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Most places require ID for spraypaint. It's just like asking a grey haired old man for ID to buy cigarettes just a motion the clerks go through because someone up the ladder told them to. It's funny I'll give you that!

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

You were carrying a gun, you must be a cop. If you're a cop then you must be checking the store clerks to ensure they are id'ing for spraypaint per some ordinance?

BIll98501

imported post

I was at the tumwater HD today, about 430, didnt see anyone carring though.