• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question About "1,000 Foot Rule in School Zones"

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sorry, CA_Libertarian, you quoted the law incorrectly. The part you quoted appears to offer stiffer penalties for brandishing a loaded firearm in a daycare center.

Section 417 reads:

(2) Every person who, except in self-defense, in the presence of
any other person, draws or exhibits any firearm, whether loaded or
unloaded
, in a rude, angry, or threatening manner, or who in any
manner, unlawfully uses a firearm in any fight or quarrel is
punishable as follows:
(A) If the violation occurs in a public place and the firearm is a
pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon
the person, by imprisonment in a county jail for not less than three
months and not more than one year, by a fine not to exceed one
thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LostCoast wrote:
it all comes around to the DA's choice to go ahead or not and then the jury decides.
This is where knowledge of the statute comes in. I don't belive it would be hard to convince a DA that the wording is vague enough that a trial could go either way, but would instead go your way. . . But I am no lawyer. Figure it is worth the shot.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think I remember some other section that expands the definition of "school zone" to inlclude "any place where a teacher is instructingtwo or more students in connection with a school activity!" Can you believe that? I am legally at a bowling alley and unbenownst to me there is a High School bowling team practicing. . . Now I am in a school zone. This is rediculous.
That is why I firmly belive that this section of legislation is to be considered more like the extra penalties for gang members. . . It is not intended to be used to hassle otherwise law abiding people, as is there more to catch someone whom has committed a crime in one of these zones, or for someone whom has criminal intent.

I think this is definately a code we should bring up to judicial review.

It is late tonight, but I will be sure to find it again.