• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Bars

Jared

imported post

Indeep-Cop wrote:
A huge THANK YOU!! for the backup!

Don't even leave the heat in your P.O.V.! Leave it at home if you can?

Then you're DWI / and CCW = NOT GOOD for your record!

Plus remember, when you all went to the DMV to get your CCW endorsements? As soon as I call in your plates, you come back as "Holder of CCW". Or A.K.A.(Linked)

Probable cause is now in effect, and now you have to sit & wait for myself to get 2 more officers "on scene" 'cause we have no clue what you have in your vehicle!Yor state of mind, wether or not youARE DUI/DWI,And trust me, neither of us want to find out........The Hard Way!

Accidents DO happen.:uhoh:

With utmost respects to all who may read this. ;)

Probable cause is now in effect??? Ummm, no. Sorry but it isn't. Unless its a terry frisk, the presence of a gun does not add any suspicion (Florida v J.L.) (Arizona v Hicks). There is no gun exception.

Also, in Missouri, you do not need a license to carry to carry in a vehicle, so the CCW endorsement is irrelevant.

I recommend folks in MO simply get an out of state permit and carry on that so you not hassled over things like this. There is no "database" with a Maine permit. Plus you only have to be 18 and not 23.... and if you a resident alien, you won't be discriminated against like you will in MO.

I never understood the whole drinking and carrying thing. Just because you consume alcohol, does not mean that you should forget your right to self defense just as you don't forfeit your 1st or 4th amendment rights when you drink.

Obviously many people have no business drinking ever (gun or not) because they honestly really do not belong in the general population of society, but that's another story. There are plenty of people who drink in moderation and there is no reason anyone's right should be thrown out because they drink.

mvpel

imported post

New Hampshire has never had any kind of prohibition on carrying firearms in bars, so you'd think that there'd be a long history of incidents if the myths were true, but there's not and they aren't.

The most recent shooting incident in a bar involved an armed patron successfully defending a bouncer against a violent attacker.

mvpel

imported post

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:
we all have gone out for A beer but then somehow got too drunk to know what happened. You never know for sure that you will just have a drink.
You might not know for sure, but I do.

You're engaging here in the same kind of psychological projection that the gun-banners do, a la "shootouts over parking spaces." They feel in the deepest recesses of their hearts that they would kill someone over a parking space, so instead of facing up to their own pathological mindset they project it onto everyone else.

See "Raging Against Self Defense" by Dr. Sarah Thompson.

Just because you feel you can't walk into a bar without losing control of yourself and getting sloppy drunk doesn't mean everyone else can't.

For you, based on what you've written here, leaving your defensive arms at home when you enter a bar is undoubtedly a good idea. For me, drinking lemonade or O'Douls because of mild liver disease, it doesn't matter, and I shouldn't be branded a criminal because I choose not to give up my right to armed self-defense while I'm drinking a glass of lemonade in a particular place.

Jared

imported post

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:
just because you get a CCW from another state doesnt mean you are exempt from that states laws. I will be getting a CCW from Texas but when I return home to Missouri I still have to abide by their laws. The reason you shouldnt be drinking and packing is the same you shuldnt drink and drive. It impaires your judgement and you are at a higher risk to make a bad choice. One that you wouldnt make had you not been drinking.

Proud member of: VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, KofC, NRA and North American Hunting Club.

WE MUST FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHTS!!!

Your missing the point. you can use any state permit to carry in Missouri, that's all I'm recommending, that if one does not want to be hassled over their "ccw status" when you don't even need one in the vehicle.

The only way you would need a CCW to carry in a vehicle is if you are under 21, the exemption to the permit does not apply to those under 21, but if you were 18,19, or 20 then you could get a Maine permit can carry on your person or in your vehicle.

Jared

imported post

Indeep-Cop wrote:
Well,

It's just unfortunate that I respond to so many "Drunk & carrying" calls where somebody gets dead. :?

Well,

I can't be accountable for other idiots actions. Like mvpel said, people in New Hampshire seem to be able to drink and carry. I guess the people in New Hampshire are just higher more evolved human beings. People in Nevada seem to be able to drink and carry, and they even have gambling almost everywhere.

Maybe the problems in Missouri are more cultural then guns and beer.

Jared

imported post

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:
we all have gone out for A beer but then somehow got too drunk to know what happened.

Please don't speak for everyone, because your not speaking for me when you say "we all". I have never gone out for A beer and then somehow got too drunk to know what happened. Never happened in my almost 28 years. I guess I'm not a drunk.

Whenever I consume alcohol and carry, I'm NEVER above 0.08. I can always drive myself home and survive a sobriety check.

I guess I'm responsible, if other people are not... that's just too bad. Why should my freedom be limited because other people are stupid? By that logic no one should carry a weapon or firearm because 'you never know'.

X

XtremeDuty.45

imported post

you should really look at your definition of a drunk. its not airresponsible to go out thinking you only are going to drink A beer then you end up having A beer too many. Sometimes you just start having fun with your buddies and voila. the irresponsible thing to do would be drive home or be carrying. the problem is with people like you who think they are invincible. You think it cant happen to you. Also just cause you can drive your car home and pass a sobriety test doesnt mean that you arent under the influence.

Proud member of: VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, KofC, NRA and North American Hunting Club.

Jared

imported post

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:
you should really look at your definition of a drunk. its not airresponsible to go out thinking you only are going to drink A beer then you end up having A beer too many. Sometimes you just start having fun with your buddies and voila. the irresponsible thing to do would be drive home or be carrying. the problem is with people like you who think they are invincible. You think it cant happen to you. Also just cause you can drive your car home and pass a sobriety test doesnt mean that you arent under the influence.

No I don't think I'm invincible, but I know I'm never above 0.08 because I only have at the most 1 drink an hour, that won't even put you at 0.04. So by the legal definitions of almost all states, I'm not even impared.

Things could happen as you mentioned, even when your sober, but I still walk away from conflict when I'm sober or after I've been drinking, nothings changed. I still prefer the free states like New Hampshire and Nevada, like I said, I guess the caliber of people who live in those states are just superior.

It seems to be the phony shall-isue states that have these alcohol restrictions. None of New England, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Arizona ( no limit for carrying), and Virginia for open carry, yes you can even open carry and drink in a bar, what is the world coming to!!!! In Virginia I never saw any problems either.

Sorry, but just as the brady bunch says there would be blood in the streets, your making a similar arguement with nothing to back it up.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't carry in bars. Period. But then I rarely go to actual bars. I also don't go out and get drunk, however, I have gone out while carrying, had a drink with friends at dinner and then decided to have a few more. Given the danger of being charged with a felony for being in possession of a loaded firearm while under the influence, and given the somewhat vague definition of under the influence, if I decide to have more than a few drinks I excuse myself, go outside, unload and lock up my sidearm. The risk of getting in a traffic accident on the way home or even being hit in the parking lot leading to an LEO finding a loaded handgun in my possession and deciding that I am under the influence even though not illegal to drive is IMO almost always a higher risk than my needing my sidearm at that point and time.

That being said, the vast majority of the time, I pace myself so much and spend enough time at the end of an evening drinking water or soda before going home, that it is almost never that I don't feel confident in being legally safe reloading and carrying on the way home.

X

XtremeDuty.45

imported post

I agree deep. I rarely go to an actual bar and get drunk but if that does happen and i would be carrying i would do the same thing as you. go and unload and lock it up. like you said there are just too many factors that you cannot control and the risk isnt worth it. but obviously there are people out there that have that 'it will never happen to me' attitude.

Diver_59

imported post

I agree, it's not a good idea to have a gun around when you've been drinking. I enjoy a beer or shot or two as well as the next guy...on occation.... but I like to carry more than I like to drink, so needless to say I don't drink much anymore.

Jared

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
The risk of getting in a traffic accident on the way home or even being hit in the parking lot leading to an LEO finding a loaded handgun in my possession and deciding that I am under the influence even though not illegal to drive is IMO almost always a higher risk than my needing my sidearm at that point and time.

It's not illegal in a lot of states to be under the influence and carry nor is it illegal in most states to be under the DWI limit ( or a variation thereof)while carrying.

So similar to open carry, a lot of cops don't like it, but who cares, it's not illegal.

Speaking of which, a little known secret to a lot of people... many, many, many LEO's carry while they are drinking, by drinking, I mean drunk off their chairs.

I'm not advocating that, it's not about being invincible, I guess I'm just not scared.... kind of like the people who would like to open carry but don't because they are afraid.

It wasn't too long ago that some one in Washoe County had a self defense shooting in a bar. He had a Nevada CFP, he was carrying... he turned out allright. By the logic of some people he would have been dead if they followed peoples "sound logic" here.

X

XtremeDuty.45

imported post

just cause its legal doesnt mean its smart.

X

XtremeDuty.45

imported post

but booze is always an unpredictable factor