• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas open carry petition

Overtaxed

imported post

I hope that the petition gains some traction and moves Texas toward allowing open carry.

It occurred to me that there might be another way... CC-only to OC might be a big step, too big for the legislature and Governor to swallow.

Why not first work on advocating decrementing, then eliminating penalties for "printing" or "accidental exposure" and then proceeding to work for OC?

Bflamante

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Exactly. Little by little. Take those step, while at the same time start to correlate your current legislative extent to other states. An example may be that the Great State of Texas has the same strict policy as California. Something like that. Find a pro legislator and start the ball rolling.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Each decrement requires fighting the same battles with the same opponents/enemies. In the case of OC from CC, who benefits financially from mandatory CC and its required permitting? That's your enemy.

Compromise is failure on the installment plan, payments due with each change of administration.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Overtaxed

imported post

Well, I'm simply trying to be pragmatic. In psych classes, the prof. talked about the "foot in the door" principle, in which you get the big things you want by implementing more palatable smaller things.

A trick used by companies that erect cell towers and billboards is to float a large tethered balloon at the same exact site. Folks get used to a tall, skyborne object in their field of view, and become more agreeable later on to what the developer wants when the time comes for a vote.

Open carry, exposure, printing, etc. are prohibited for a reason - probably not a good reason, but there was some sort of rationale. Citizens, police and legislators are used to it being specifically illegal. Going straight to OC is probably too big of a change for them to handle... I think small steps are the way to go... not the way I'd *prefer* personally (I want OC to be legal everywhere), but in a practical sense, I think it's more likely to work out.

ManWithAGun

imported post

Open carry should be legal in Texas.... especially in the heat... who wants to conceal carry??

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Not I! Thanks to everyone for their support! I hope to enjoy the right as promised by our national documents that all of you folks already do. I have a feeling that if we do obtain open carry in Texas, it'll be with permit only.