• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vancouver cop who pulled gun on butcher back on duty

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_062008_news_butcher_gun.200f667a.html

ANCOUVER, Wash. -- An off-duty Vancouver police officer pulled his gun on his butcher but he did not lose his job, authorities said.

KGW report on butcher incident Now that officer is back on the beat - no charges filed - and no suspension recommended. But the butcher said it shows Vancouver Police are only interested in covering for one of their own.
NewsChannel 8 obtained the 411-page internal report on the incident, which happened last December at Top Choice Meats on Fourth Plain in Vancouver. The report details how officer Roger Evans pulled his gun, and it sheds new light on what butcher Mike Brannan called an effort to downplay the whole incident.

In an interview with NewsChannel 8 Brannan said he's had, "Some pretty sleepless nights thinking about that."

The incident stemmed from the way Evans' deer jerky was prepared. Both Evans and Brannan admit it wasnt' seasoned properly. Brannan said he offered a discount, but Evans wanted it for free. The two argued loudly in the store, before walking out to Evans' personal car, when Brannan tried to hand over the box.

As Brannan pushed the box into Evans' arms, Evans told investigators he felt threatened. In the internal report Evans told investigators, "he's a butcher, he carries weapons... He's probably good with them."

However, Brannan did not have a weapon on him at any point that night. Still, Evans maintained he felt sufficiently threatened to pull out his duty gun and point it at Brannan - even though he wasn't on duty at the time.

Brannan said, "He could have easily pulled that trigger and killed me in the parking lot."

The incident launched the six-month investigation, which concluded this week with the internal report. Although Evans was placed on administrative duty while the investigation was underway, the District Attorney did not file charges, and Evans was allowed back on the beat this month with no further disciplinary action.

"I will always feel that this was a cover up," Brannan said. "It just further convinces me of how the city will cover stuff up to protect its own."

Supporting that idea, a copy of a conversation between a Vancouver Police Commander and 9-1-1 dispatchers on the night of the incident that was included in the internal report. The Commander asks, "Is the media on the scene?" The operator responds, "No. But they're calling. We've tried to downplay it a couple times... Because... they don't really understand that it's actually a police officer."

Brannan wants Evans either suspended, or fired. He said, "If you can't handle that kind of job and that kind of position, you shouldn't be doing it." Brannan said he is still considering a suit against the City of Vancouver.

The internal papers make note that no one was hurt in the incident. Brannan said that's not true. He said he still wakes up in the middle of the night, thinking about the gun pointed right at him.

thx997303

imported post

This is a gun owner who happened to be a LEO, drawing on someone, and that action being unjustified.

That's how I see it.

But I think it was more to point out that a LEO get away with something.

Please no cop bashing.

Sheriff

imported post

WTF? I don't see cop bashing. :question:

Here you have a sworn officer who pulled a gun on a man. Imagine if a civilian who was CCing or OCing had done the same thing. He/she would be thrown in jail with no bond by the same people who get by with doing it.

I think that's the point being made here. It is a conversation related to OC, CC, and many other things as well.

thx997303

imported post

I didn't say there was cop bashing, I just was saying because that sometimes happens.

I agree with you sheriff. But threads like this could definitely lead to cop bashing.

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

who cares if there is cop bashing if they deserve it.

thx997303 wrote:
I didn't say there was cop bashing, I just was saying because that sometimes happens.

I agree with you sheriff. But threads like this could definitely lead to cop bashing.

thx997303

imported post

There's a difference between criticizing an officers actions, and a departments unethical activities.

This site has a reputation to uphold. We don't want to look like a group of anti LEO and anti government bunch of nuts.

We want to be seen as a legitimate group. And LEO bashing will not help.

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

what is the difference between bashing and criticizing?

if they deserve it, we should do it. they are not better than us

thx997303 wrote:
There's a difference between criticizing an officers actions, and a departments unethical activities.

This site has a reputation to uphold. We don't want to look like a group of anti LEO and anti government bunch of nuts.

We want to be seen as a legitimate group. And LEO bashing will not help.

thx997303

imported post

bashing is malicious

criticizing is not.

Criticizing= This officer should have been fired.

Bashing= God damn LEOs, They should all be shot! Everything they do is wrong!

See the difference? Cop bashing is malicious generalizations, such as calling all gun owners crazy redneck whackos.

ETA: You're right though, they are not better than us.

johnnyb

Banned
imported post

i don't see bashing here

thx997303 wrote:
bashing is malicious

criticizing is not.

Criticizing= This officer should have been fired.

Bashing= God damn LEOs, They should all be shot! Everything they do is wrong!

See the difference? Cop bashing is malicious generalizations, such as calling all gun owners crazy redneck whackos.

ETA: You're right though, they are not better than us.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It would be helpful to see the internal investigation report and to hear the prosecutor's rationale.

It seems to me the most interesting part is the absence of something. The absence of charges against the butcher. If the officer was justified, then the butcher would be actionable.

thx997303

imported post

thx997303 wrote:

Need I say more?