• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another WalMart carry issue, that wasn't my own!

Aran

Banned
imported post

One of the guys from a local shop (Nathan from Bullseye Firearms over in Homer City) heard about my issues with WalMart, and figured he'd go see for himself what the response would be.

Now, Nathan and I, physically, have nothing in common with each other beyond being guys, and tall. He's dark-haired, thinner build (I wouldn't call him "built" but he's far more in shape than I am), and I've never seen him NOT dress nice. Also, he is and looks like he's in his mid to late 20s (I think he's 25ish)

According to one of his co-workers (I talk to him constantly but I can never remember his name. For anyone else who's been there, basically "the other guy" aside from the guy I'm pretty sure is the owner) he walked in, open carrying as always, and was quickly approached and asked to leave, which he complied with (Though I'm sure the manager got an earful) but went back a few days later open carrying again and had no issue.

Nathan wasn't there (He's in Greensburg, I think, for the gun show) so I couldn't ask him who asked him to leave, but next time I'm in I will, and I'll bet you all a dollar it was the LP guy.

So see, it isn't me.

mjf

imported post

Still have yet to OC in Walmart... I'll follow up with what happens here in Indiana, PA.

Indiana appears to be OC friendly to me... No police stops and most people don't even
notice my sidearm--only two people have asked about it and I've had no negative reactions from them. I never realized how unobservant people were until I started habitually OC'ing--who knew?

I honestly hate Walmart and hate going there... that place is like a zoo...

Aran

Banned
imported post

If you want to stop over here on 5th street and pick me up on the way if you're uncomfortable OCing there alone, I'll be happy to go with you.

mjf

imported post

Aran wrote:
If you want to stop over here on 5th street and pick me up on the way if you're uncomfortable OCing there alone, I'll be happy to go with you.
Sure, I'm up for that... it would be fun. It sounds to me like some managers have an issue with OC and some don't... I sent an email three weeks ago to Walmart corporate asking about their official policy on OC in stores, in addition to if a local Walmart could enact their own firearms policy and have no response yet.

I'm always up for an OC "fieldtrip".

mjf

imported post

I think it would be actually wise to take a non-OC fieldtrip there and ask to speak with management and merely inquire with regard to their firearms policy. If I go there and I'm asked to leave that won't accomplish much, on the otherhand, if I go there and nobody notices then we still don't have a firm answer regarding their policy.

Thoughts?

Aran

Banned
imported post

Sean Connors, an assistant manager, is all for everyone's rights, and has no issue with it

Justin, last name unknown, is a night shift assistant manager and will call the police instantly from what I heard.

I didn't catch the name of the manager I talked to last, I want to say it was John, or another J name, real big fellow, he told me he doesn't have an issue, but the customers that saw me were nervous and complained (AKA the loss prevention guy saw me and raised a shitfit, I presume)

The LP guy, name unknown to me, is 100% anti-gun, and former LEO, from what I was told.

Day shift manager, forgot her name, doesn't care and just wants to be left alone, from what I got out of my conversation with her.

mjf

imported post

So, it's a gamble...

Sounds to me like most managers abide by the "customer is always right" mentality and the one guy will just call the police. Since I have two newly born twin babies I doubt I'll be making any more 2am trips to Walmart, so I don't think I'll be running into the night shift manager. Do you know what time this nightshift manager starts?

Calling the police as soon as they see an OC'er is just plain rude... the management should ask you to leave in person first.

Aran

Banned
imported post

I'm not sure, but what Sean told me was "not until late", and their night shift ends around 8am from what one of the cashiers told me, so I'd imagine he's in any time between 10 to midnight for a shift start

Aran

Banned
imported post

Does your Hi-Point have a rattle, too, by any chance? Both the .40 and 9mm models they had at Bullseye had this unlocatable rattle from somewhere in the gun itself, with or without the mag in.

(Also, how's the Ironwood? I've looked at their website, but nobody I know has gone there)

Side note: Their cashier got held up at gunpoint in broad daylight in November and they never found the perp.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

On the Hi-Point, if there is a rattle I'm unaware of it. All I know is that it works, and works well. An Army-issue M-1911A1 rattles. Doesn't stop it from being practically indestructable.

Ironwood food? Good. Service? Waitress checked in regularly to refill coffee cups and check on our needs. Beer at lunchtime was a buck. Good selection of Yuengling downstairs.

Now that you mention it I do remember the hold-up. Relatively rare for Indiana, I think. White Township doesn't want to shell out for a police force, so they have to depend on the State Police to show up, eventually.

Aran

Banned
imported post

Gotcha.

I was only looking at them out of curiosity, though. I already have a Glock and a Witness for carry, and a Neos and a Mark III for plinking.