• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you make of this open carry cartoon - are we "nuts"?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://yubanet.com/cartoon/Open-Carry-Gun-Laws.php

opencarrygunlaws.gif

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I think that the cartoonist is confused in portraying sheeple as squirrels and the NRA 'member' with an OC message.

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

But it is a great break from wading through the crAP at the ELCA site. (ya kant spiel crAP widoubt the AP).

thx997303

imported post

Wow, that's about as stupid as it gets, not only does this portray us as nuts, it also seems to suggest that we are all rednecks.

I mean, I AM a redneck, but most of the people here in Utah that OC are not rednecks.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hahaha!

After the deadly serious business of defendingthe basic human right to self defense, its great to have a little lighthearted fun.

Hey! If you can't laugh at yourself, something's wrong.

I see he portrayed us as left-ists. The meaning is hidden in the fact that the OCer is left handed. :)

Now me, I'm a centrist--two hands straight out ahead.

Since the message is that we are nuts, I wonder whether the squirrels are meant to be liberals?

thx997303

imported post

Hehe, Liberal squirrels.

Have you ever pissed off a squirrel? They will defend their life like crazy.

Not exactly a liberal idea now is it?

As far as the leftist thing, I think for that to work, you would have to assume that the cartoonist had a grasp of being subtle. And that would assume he/she is intelligent.

If he's anti gun, then we have already come to the conclusion that they are run by emotion and not intelligence, so we would then assume that he is not intelligent, or using his brain enough to throw in that subtle little item.

OH, and it's nice that our movement is big enough to get political cartoons made about it.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Wow, that's about as stupid as it gets, not only does this portray us as nuts, it also seems to suggest that we are all rednecks.

I mean, I AM a redneck, but most of the people here in Utah that OC are not rednecks.
Please sir. Just a little piece of information and advice.

The term "redneck" carries a similar meaning when referencing a white as does the term "nigger" when referring to a black. Both can be quite derogatory and demeaning. Just thought you might like to know.

tarzan1888

imported post

"What do you make of this open carry cartoon - are we "nuts"?

I'm not, but I can't speak for the rest of you guys. :lol:

Tarzan

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
SNIP The term "redneck" carries a similar meaning when referencing a white as does the term "nigger" when referring to a black. Both can be quite derogatory and demeaning. Just thought you might like to know.

De-fang it by smiling and being proud.

Me, I'm not really a redneck in the classic sense. But I think many, many people fit the Jeff Foxworthy definition: "A glorious absence of sophistication."

Remember Abe Lincoln's words, "[God plainly likes homely people. That's why he made so many of them.]"

In the spiritual sense, psuedo-sophisticates reveal their lack of sophistication by turning up their nose at the unsophisticated. If they were truly sophisticated they would understand that not everybody is, and it wouldn't bother them, and it wouldn't not bother them. They just wouldn't care. And they wouldn't use it to demean others.

thx997303

imported post

I actually feel that redneck is not a derogatory term. It has been used in that sense, but i don't take it that way.

If you want to be technical, Cowboy would be the proper word for what I am, but that's another thing in and of itself.

I personally have had several non operational vehicles in my yard, and you never know what kind of car part you may destroy the lawn mower on.

I don't ever take the term redneck, or even cowboy in a negative manner, even when that is how it was intended.

Oh, and nothing pisses off a rude person more then when you sincerely appreciate the derogatory comment they just made.

It's like laughing at a seriously pissed off person, they really hate that.

ETA: I think that the really derogatory term would be White trash.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Citizen wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
SNIP The term "redneck" carries a similar meaning when referencing a white as does the term "nigger" when referring to a black. Both can be quite derogatory and demeaning. Just thought you might like to know.

De-fang it by smiling and being proud.

Me, I'm not really a redneck in the classic sense. But I think many, many people fit the Jeff Foxworthy definition: "A glorious absence of sophistication."

Remember Abe Lincoln's words, "[God plainly likes homely people. That's why he made so many of them.]"

In the spiritual sense, psuedo-sophisticates reveal their lack of sophistication by turning up their nose at the unsophisticated. If they were truly sophisticated they would understand that not everybody is, and it wouldn't bother them, and it wouldn't not bother them. They just wouldn't care. And they wouldn't use it to demean others.
Believe me, I am not the sensitive PC type by any stretch of the imagination. I suppose what gets me the most is how it is perfectly Ok to call a white person a redneck but there will be hell to pay if you call a black person a nigger.

Frankly, I am not fond of either term and try my best to avoid them whenever possible. I certainly meant no ill will towards anyone with my post.

SouthernBoy

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
I actually feel that redneck is not a derogatory term. It has been used in that sense, but i don't take it that way.

If you want to be technical, Cowboy would be the proper word for what I am, but that's another thing in and of itself.

I personally have had several non operational vehicles in my yard, and you never know what kind of car part you may destroy the lawn mower on.

I don't ever take the term redneck, or even cowboy in a negative manner, even when that is how it was intended.

Oh, and nothing pisses off a rude person more then when you sincerely appreciate the derogatory comment they just made.

It's like laughing at a seriously pissed off person, they really hate that.

ETA: I think that the really derogatory term would be White trash.
Just like the term "nigger" it depends upon how it's used and by whom. Funny how both of these terms got to where they are today and I know how that occurred.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
SNIP I think that the really derogatory term would be White trash.
I just tell them to get the hell out of my trailer park. Or else, I'll get my wife. :)

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I actually see it displaying the fact that the squirrels view stocking up on protection just as important as food. If you notice in the cartoon they are heading toward the tree full of nuts with the only effective protection they could think of.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Toad wrote:
SNIP If you notice in the cartoon they are heading toward the tree full of nuts with the only effective protection they could think of.
Even squirrels are smart enough to recognize the importance of a firearm and defense!!