• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit application question - Washo County

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

OK - experts here?

I know a guy now waiting over 2 months for his concealed handgun permit - he applied in April. What is the deadline to issue these days?

Also, he says his firearms instructor has been denied use of a Washo County shooting range related building to give CHP classes - says that only Sheriff's deputies get to make money using that building. What's the deal on this??

Loneviking

imported post

Mike wrote:
OK - experts here?

I know a guy now waiting over 2 months for his concealed handgun permit - he applied in April. What is the deadline to issue these days?

Also, he says his firearms instructor has been denied use of a Washo County shooting range related building to give CHP classes - says that only Sheriff's deputies get to make money using that building. What's the deal on this??

The deadline is 120 days and there are a lot of applications in Washoe county.

Washoe has only one range, way up close to Pyramid lake on Pyramid Hwy. Certain sections, including the only large building, are dedicated for LEO's. Don't worry, there is a public pistol area, a .50 Cal. range, and a long range rifle range all for the public. It sounds like your friend needs to find a different instructor. Make sure the instructor is approved by the Chiefs and Sheriffs association.

calmp9

imported post

Mike wrote:
OK - experts here?

I know a guy now waiting over 2 months for his concealed handgun permit - he applied in April.  What is the deadline to issue these days?

Also, he says his firearms instructor has been denied use of a Washo County shooting range related building to give CHP classes - says that only Sheriff's deputies get to make money using that building.  What's the deal on this??

Hello Mike!

I do not profess to be an expert by any means. I have some experience with Washoe County because I applied for my nonresident CCW there. I submitted my application on March 13 and received my CCW on May 24.

From the Washoe County Sheriff's Office website on concealed carry permtis:

5. Allow up to 120 days for processing your completed application, per NRS 202.336. Incomplete application cannot be processed and will not be accepted. Changes can usually be done while you wait or you can arrange to return for your card.

Here is the link if you want more information:

http://www.washoesheriff.com/records-CCW-concealed-weapons.htm

Regarding your question about the shooting range, I think you're referring to the Washoe County Shooting Facility in Spanish Springs. I have never been there, but I have read a post in another forum on this. Here is a letter that was posted one day:

Good Morning,

I am writing you as a customer of Sierra Firearms Academy because there is a problem at the shooting facility that you need to be aware of. This problem affects all users of the facility and
directly impacts SFA’s operations there. At the moment we are effectively locked out. Our Attorney is acting on it, but the solution might be political pressure.

The problem stems from one belligerent manager in the Parks Dept by the name of Doug Mullen. He has decided to side step the procedures and policies that have allowed the smooth
operation of the facility for 28 years. He, with no understanding or concept of how the facility works, began passing down edicts on the “new rules”. He now allows access only during the
public hours 8-4 Fri – Mon and is in effect locking out the very gun clubs who built this facility, costing them damages as we speak. This goes much deeper than the initial glance, for example
the Roop Co Cowboy shooters routinely camp on the IPSC range during larger matches. No more. The same for Palomino Valley Gun club during their major matches, and now because of the
hours limit, a whole year of benchrest matches have had to be cancelled. The 50 cal Nationals are now at risk, with many more similar problems. All these things reduce income to Washoe Co via the user fees everyone pays.

This will also affect public safety, who use the range 24/7. As a matter of legal response by the clubs, the Parks dept will probably be forced to apply the same rule to them. This facility was
deeded to the county for the use and enjoyment of the general public. So the training of all area Law Enforcement may be affected.

We are starting to put out the call to all interested persons to apply some leverage on the County Commission to remedy the problem. As the number of calls and emails to them
increase, the wisdom of this one individual will be examined more closely. The court actions will begin very soon, and that just wastes all of our tax dollars. Please pass this around to anyone
you know who might be willing to complain. This shooting facility belongs to us all, and there is only one. We can’t afford this kind of thing.

http://www.co.washoe.nv.us/bcc

Thanks for your understanding and assistance in this matter.

Mike Robbins

mike@sierrafirearms.com

www.sierrafirearms.com

Sierra Firearms, I was told, pretty much had their way with this range. Someone told me that they didn't even have to pay rent to use the classrooom. Somebody else took over and he wants to make changes.

I hope this is the information you were looking for.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Is this still the current statute in Nevada? Good grief - 120 days and you must list your guns by serial number??

--

NRS 202.366 Investigation of applicant for permit; issuance or denial of permit; expiration of permit.

1. Upon receipt by a sheriff of an application for a permit, the sheriff shall conduct an investigation of the applicant to determine if he is eligible for a permit. In conducting the investigation, the sheriff shall forward a complete set of the applicant’s fingerprints to the Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History for submission to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for its report concerning the criminal history of the applicant. The sheriff shall issue a permit to the applicant unless he is not qualified to possess a handgun pursuant to state or federal law or is not otherwise qualified to obtain a permit pursuant to NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto.

2. To assist the sheriff in conducting his investigation, any local law enforcement agency, including the sheriff of any county, may voluntarily submit to the sheriff a report or other information concerning the criminal history of an applicant.

3. Within 120 days after a complete application for a permit is submitted, the sheriff to whom the application is submitted shall grant or deny the application. If the application is denied, the sheriff shall send the applicant written notification setting forth the reasons for the denial. If the application is granted, the sheriff shall provide the applicant with a permit containing a colored photograph of the applicant and containing such other information as may be prescribed by the Department. The permit must be in substantially the following form:

[align=center]NEVADA CONCEALED FIREARM PERMIT[/align]

County............................................... Permit Number.....................................

Expires................................................ Date of Birth........................................

Height................................................ Weight..................................................

Name.................................................. Address................................................

City..................................................... Zip.........................................................

Photograph

Signature...........................................

Issued by...........................................

Date of Issue.....................................

Make, model and caliber of each authorized semiautomatic firearm, if any..........

Revolvers authorized.................................................... Yes.................................... No

4. Unless suspended or revoked by the sheriff who issued the permit, a permit expires 5 years after the date on which it is issued.

(Added to NRS by 1995, 2723; A 1999, 2094; 2001, 614, 620; 2003, 13, 2846; 2007, 3153)

calmp9

imported post

Mike wrote:
Is this still the current statute in Nevada?  Good grief - 120 days and you must list your guns by serial number??

--

NRS 202.366  Investigation of applicant for permit; issuance or denial of permit; expiration of permit.

1.  Upon receipt by a sheriff of an application for a permit, the sheriff shall conduct an investigation of the applicant to determine if he is eligible for a permit. In conducting the investigation, the sheriff shall forward a complete set of the applicant’s fingerprints to the Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History for submission to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for its report concerning the criminal history of the applicant. The sheriff shall issue a permit to the applicant unless he is not qualified to possess a handgun pursuant to state or federal law or is not otherwise qualified to obtain a permit pursuant to NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto.

2.  To assist the sheriff in conducting his investigation, any local law enforcement agency, including the sheriff of any county, may voluntarily submit to the sheriff a report or other information concerning the criminal history of an applicant.

3.  Within 120 days after a complete application for a permit is submitted, the sheriff to whom the application is submitted shall grant or deny the application. If the application is denied, the sheriff shall send the applicant written notification setting forth the reasons for the denial. If the application is granted, the sheriff shall provide the applicant with a permit containing a colored photograph of the applicant and containing such other information as may be prescribed by the Department. The permit must be in substantially the following form:

[align=center]NEVADA CONCEALED FIREARM PERMIT[/align]

County...............................................               Permit Number.....................................

Expires................................................               Date of Birth........................................

Height................................................               Weight..................................................

Name..................................................               Address................................................

City.....................................................               Zip.........................................................

Photograph

Signature...........................................

Issued by...........................................

Date of Issue.....................................

Make, model and caliber of each authorized semiautomatic firearm, if any..........

Revolvers authorized.................................................... Yes.................................... No

4.  Unless suspended or revoked by the sheriff who issued the permit, a permit expires 5 years after the date on which it is issued.

(Added to NRS by 1995, 2723; A 1999, 2094; 2001, 614, 620; 2003, 13, 2846; 2007, 3153)

Unfortunately, yes. My brother and I submitted our apps on the same day, March 13. I have long received mine, but my brother has not. He is a Nevada resident who resides in Douglas County. They told him flat out that it will take the entire four months. I am anticipating this to be July 11. Regarding your friend, I am surprised that it is taking so long. I am surprised that it is taking so long. I had an excellent experience with the Washoe County Sheriff's Office. The receptionist is very friendly. Not only did I find out that she is a permit holder herself, I found out she's a lefty like me.

Mike, Washoe County does not require serial numbers, There is nothing in the Nevada state statues that require them. I learned this in my CCW class. The only one that I know of, and I could be wrong, is Clark County. Nevada has a preemption law that prevents cities and counties from imposing laws that are more strict than those of the state. Some laws, such as the Clark County registration law, was in effect before they passed the preemption law, so it is grandfathered in, so to speak. My permit has my 2 autos, specified my model and caliber, and a revolver. It doesn't specify a revolver model because the law states that if you qualify with one revolver, you can carry ANY revolver. There are NO serial numbers on my permit nor did I put any on my application.

The Washoe County link that I gave you has a CCW application that you can download as a PDF file. You might want to check it out. It's straightforward.

calmp9

imported post

Loneviking wrote:
Mike wrote:
OK - experts here?

I know a guy now waiting over 2 months for his concealed handgun permit - he applied in April.  What is the deadline to issue these days?

Also, he says his firearms instructor has been denied use of a Washo County shooting range related building to give CHP classes - says that only Sheriff's deputies get to make money using that building.  What's the deal on this??

The deadline is 120 days and there are a lot of applications in Washoe county.

Washoe has only one range, way up close to Pyramid lake on Pyramid Hwy. Certain sections, including the only large building, are dedicated for LEO's.  Don't worry, there is a public pistol area, a .50 Cal. range, and a long range rifle range all for the public.  It sounds like your friend needs to find a different instructor.  Make sure the instructor is approved by the Chiefs and Sheriffs association.

I heard that something was going on at that range. It may not be the instructor.

Loneviking

imported post

I thought I would update this thread. I applied for my CCW on July 10 in Carson City, and I received my permit on July 29. Nineteen days to get my CCW makes me happy! I had heard that Sheriff Furlong had made some major changes in the CCW division and I can believe it.

Calmp9, did your brother ever receive his permit?

varminter22

imported post

No NV county may require handgun serial numbers.

Clark County does have handgun registration - but it should not be required for CCW - a separate process.

There are other threads in this forum discussing the issue.

AnakinsKid

imported post

varminter22 wrote:

Clark County does have handgun registration - but it should not be required for CCW - a separate process.

They are requiring that you show your registration card, proving that it is your gun. So basically, you cant borrow a friends gun to put on your permit unless you re-register it in your name first

calmp9

imported post

Loneviking wrote:
I thought I would update this thread. I applied for my CCW on July 10 in Carson City, and I received my permit on July 29. Nineteen days to get my CCW makes me happy! I had heard that Sheriff Furlong had made some major changes in the CCW division and I can believe it.

Loneviking:

Congratulations on your CCW and it was quick. I guess that Sheriff Fulong really did fix things over there.

Yes, my brother got the call from Douglas County on July 21. It was longer than 120 days, but they will sidestep that landmine but declaring that processed the permit on a later date. At least, Douglas County gave him a July 18, 2013 expiration date. That's the least I could do. I felt bad because I received mine way earlier than he did. He's happy now. Holster shopping is next.

varminter22

imported post

AnakinsKid wrote:
varminter22 wrote:

They are requiring that you show your registration card, proving that it is your gun. So basically, you cant borrow a friends gun to put on your permit unless you re-register it in your name first

I'll stay out of this issue and let the good citizens of Clark County address it if they believe it necessary.

Loneviking

imported post

calmp9 wrote:
Loneviking wrote:

Loneviking:

Congratulations on your CCW and it was quick. I guess that Sheriff Fulong really did fix things over there.

Yes, my brother got the call from Douglas County on July 21. It was longer than 120 days, but they will sidestep that landmine but declaring that processed the permit on a later date. At least, Douglas County gave him a July 18, 2013 expiration date. That's the least I could do. I felt bad because I received mine way earlier than he did. He's happy now. Holster shopping is next.
Holster shopping--what a headache! I have a shoulder rig for my full size Colt. I put a S&W 65-6 on layaway and finally decided to carry it in a pancake holster from simplyrugged.com. These are nice looking rigs that conceal easy and have passed the 1G combat test of the gun staying put through falling out of canoes; swimming in lakes after boats; running away from bears...etc. Made in Alaska by hand, check 'em out!

calmp9

imported post

Loneviking wrote:
calmp9 wrote:
Loneviking wrote:
I thought I would update this thread.  I applied for my CCW on July 10 in Carson City, and I received my permit on July 29.  Nineteen days to get my CCW makes me happy! I had heard that Sheriff Furlong had made some major changes in the CCW division and I can believe it. 

Loneviking:

Congratulations on your CCW and it was quick.  I guess that Sheriff Fulong really did fix things over there. 

Yes, my brother got the call from Douglas County on July 21.  It was longer than 120 days, but they will sidestep that landmine but declaring that processed the permit on a later date.  At least, Douglas County gave him a July 18, 2013 expiration date.  That's the least I could do.  I felt bad because I received mine way earlier than he did.  He's happy now.  Holster shopping is next. 

Holster shopping--what a headache!  I have a shoulder rig for my full size Colt. I put a S&W 65-6 on layaway and finally decided to carry it in a pancake holster from simplyrugged.com.  These are nice looking rigs that conceal easy and have passed the 1G combat test of the gun staying put through falling out of canoes; swimming in lakes after boats; running away from bears...etc.  Made in Alaska by hand, check 'em out!

Thank you, I will do that.