• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WALSH: Why are some people so gun-crazy?

unreconstructed1

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
It seems that walsh has either republished or retitled her article.
she probably just plagerized her own "work" and turned it in as another article (without a picture) in order for the slower readers to think that there were 2 people with "opinions" like that.

nickerj1

imported post

She's too stupid to realize open carrying is slowly making carrying firearms socially acceptable.

Which helps with getting laws passed in our favor to reinforce the Constitution (apparently it's a bit fuzzy; fuzzy like the bear arms above my mantel).

unreconstructed1

imported post

nickerj1 wrote:
She's too stupid to realize open carrying is slowly making carrying firearms socially acceptable.

Which helps with getting laws passed in our favor to reinforce the Constitution (apparently it's a bit fuzzy; fuzzy like the bear arms above my mantel).
You really think that's it? or do you think, as I do, that maybe she realizes this fact and that's why she wrote the article? that as she, and others write trash pieces critisizing our rights with emotional "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!" cries, that it may stem the tide of acceptance towards OC?

David.Car

imported post

I love the logic used in this article...

"Salt Lake City Police Chief Chris Burbank would rather gun owners get concealed weapon permits than carry openly. "

Of course he would. This way the state continues to make more money by charging for the permit, and they also have more and more people who are entered into their system with volunteered finger prints and back round checks...

Perhaps there are people out there who would rather save their money on an aditional privelage, and just use their protected and free right to OC?

Who would have thought...

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Anthropologist Charles Springwood says open carriers are trying to "naturalize the presence of guns, which means that guns become ordinary, omnipresent, and expected. Over time, the gun becomes a symbol of ordinary personhood."
(emphasis mine)

I think this is actually a good take on one of the reasons some of us choose to OC. I'm surprised they included it in this in the article...

knight_308

imported post

I was pretty insulted by the whole thing, too, which is why I wanted to share.

It is interesting that the "Was this article worthwhile" measure is at -989 with 1147VOTES. :D

thx997303

imported post

I have received a response from Walsh.

Jeramiah--
Just a quick point--I used two quotes from the Open Carry side of the argument. One from our paper and one from the Times.
I think people walking around with guns on their hips frighten people--hence my reference to "membership in a civil society." Should their fears be taken into consideration? Even you have to acknowledge this creates a quandary for police.
Can you articulate for me why you feel compelled to open carry? I think you are the one our reporter quoted saying you can't yet get a concealed weapon permit? When you do, do you plan on carrying concealed or in the open? And why?

Rebecca

thx997303

imported post

Sorry guys long reply, This is what I sent her in return.

Rebecca

Yes I am the one who cannot get a permit, not because of my criminal record (which doesn't exist) but because of my age.

As for the quick point, did you interview Steven Gunn? Yes I understand that you quoted someone from the Open carry side, but did you interview anyone from the Open carry side?

I do not believe that Open carry creates a quandary for police, as those who Open carry have taken it upon themselves to know the laws pertaining to their activity, and they know the applicable laws better than most law enforcement officers. Also, since Open carry is not an illegal activity, it is not grounds for the police to stop or even question a citizen. That is the thing that we are trying to change. We are not trying to force anything on anyone.

Concerning Open carry frightening people, I have had overwhelming positive experiences with the general public Openly carrying. And even if it did frighten people, then I would not stop Carrying. The fact is that I have a right to keep and bear arms, emphasis on Bear, but I do not have a right to not be offended or frightened, therefore my right trumps the privilege to not be frightened. Just as you and I both have the right of free speech. Which we are both excercising right now.

Personally, I disagree with your article, but I am glad that you are excercising your right to free speech. You have said that you like shooting Glocks, that is great, excercise your right to keep and bear that arm. Though I don't know if I would go as far as saying there was any euphoria attached to it.

I would just like to be able to arm myself as I might, without being unlawfully hassled. And I mean arm myself within reason. If I wanted to scare people I have a few rifles that might scare some people, though I would expect to get harassed then.

As far as why I feel that I need to arm myself, I think that a picture attatched to this e-mail may be more effective. The photo attatched was taken April 11, 2008 the day my daughter was born. When I first met my daughter, I was so worried about her getting hurt, worried that she would be okay. When we took her home three days later, I would go into her room and check her temperature quite often. And at one point, I started to think, she needs me, and she needs her mom. I need to do everything in my power to make sure we both come home every day. I have been through two very nasty divorces, and can only imagine how much worse it would be for a child to lose a parent. The divorces were hard enough.

When the time comes that I can get my concealed carry permit, I will then be carrying my weapon fully loaded as opposed to "Utah unloaded" as defined by U.C.A 76-10-502. I will also then have the option to conceal, and I will at appropriate times. I will continue to carry Openly the majority of the time, as it is more comfortable. Also at that point, I will not have to avoid school zones, as I have to right now. It's kind of a pain.

Sincerely
Jeramiah McDonald

Walleye

imported post

Excellent response, thx997303. Combined with the photo of your lovely wife and daughter, that should give her the impression that you are as human as anyone else. Hardly the kind of people she wants to describe us as. ;)

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well said Jeremiah and may God bless you and your beautiful family. They are worth protecting at all costs. If someone feels uncomfortable at the sight of a responsible American Citizen,a real man, willing to do whatever it takes to stand up to evil, wellTHAT my friend is more of a reflection of the evil in a failed society than anything else.

Subjects are threatened by Citizens.

thx997303

imported post

Thank you very much.

Just a quick point, my wife pointed out that where I mentioned the divorces, that statement may have been misconstrued as I have divorced someone. To clarify I went through two nasty divorces, that were my parents divorces. I was the child.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Thank you very much.

Just a quick point, my wife pointed out that where I mentioned the divorces, that statement may have been misconstrued as I have divorced someone. To clarify I went through two nasty divorces, that were my parents divorces. I was the child.
LOL...I was gonna say you look rather young to have been divorced TWICE!