Thread: Open Carry regarding transportation

Post imported post

I just found out about the open carry policy and am excited about the concept.

Probably is posted on this forum somewhere but;

If you can open carry on a street or while walking, etc, what happens in a car? As Americans, we use our cars frequently and how does this figure in to the opencarry laws?

As an example, I understand that I can carry a gun openly from my house walking to a destination and back. What happens when you involve a car?

Comments?

Post imported post

Den052 wrote:
    I just found out about the open carry policy and am excited about the concept.

Probably is posted on this forum somewhere but;

If you can open carry on a street or while walking, etc, what happens in a car? As Americans, we use our cars frequently and how does this figure in to the opencarry laws?

As an example, I understand that I can carry a gun openly from my house walking to a destination and back. What happens when you involve a car?

Comments?
    In Washington State one must have a CPL to carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle.

RCW 9.41.250
    (2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Post imported post

It depends on the state you live in as well as the state(s) you are driving through. In Kentucky the firearm must be in plain sight or in the glovebox for it to be considered openly carried while in the vehicle. I just leave it in my holster or put it in the center drink holder since that would be right in plain sight for anyone looking in through my front windows.

Post imported post

Thanks for the answer. I live in Michigan. I believe in Michigan that if I was openly carrying and entered a vehicle, I would have to put it in a gun case or in the trunk as in Michigan then it becomes a hunting transportation which is legal. I dont believe in Michigan that I can carry it openly in the vehicle. Any comments appreciated.

Thanks, Den052