• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry regarding transportation

Den052

imported post

I just found out about the open carry policy and am excited about the concept.

Probably is posted on this forum somewhere but;

If you can open carry on a street or while walking, etc, what happens in a car? As Americans, we use our cars frequently and how does this figure in to the opencarry laws?

As an example, I understand that I can carry a gun openly from my house walking to a destination and back. What happens when you involve a car?

Comments?;)

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Den052 wrote:
I just found out about the open carry policy and am excited about the concept.

Probably is posted on this forum somewhere but;

If you can open carry on a street or while walking, etc, what happens in a car? As Americans, we use our cars frequently and how does this figure in to the opencarry laws?

As an example, I understand that I can carry a gun openly from my house walking to a destination and back. What happens when you involve a car?

Comments?;)
In Washington State one must have a CPL to carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle.

RCW 9.41.250
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

N00blet45

imported post

It depends on the state you live in as well as the state(s) you are driving through. In Kentucky the firearm must be in plain sight or in the glovebox for it to be considered openly carried while in the vehicle. I just leave it in my holster or put it in the center drink holder since that would be right in plain sight for anyone looking in through my front windows.

Den052

imported post

Thanks for the answer. I live in Michigan. I believe in Michigan that if I was openly carrying and entered a vehicle, I would have to put it in a gun case or in the trunk as in Michigan then it becomes a hunting transportation which is legal. I dont believe in Michigan that I can carry it openly in the vehicle. Any comments appreciated.

Thanks, Den052