• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Maine CFP Application returned...

Cadet Higham

imported post

I sent in my Maine CFP application 3 weeks ago. It returned saying that I didn't have a proof of handgun safety. I had attached the Utah application which the instructor stamped and signed (It wasn't notarized, but I didn't think it needed to be)

What should I do to correct this?

Outsider

imported post

You took a Utah CFP course? It does need to be notorized with your signature on it. The instructor stamp isn't notorized, it is your signature that is.

rocknsnow

imported post

I just sent in the paper with the stamp that I recieved from the instructor. I also sent in my DD214 from the Army which might have been what worked as well. Are you a SMP cadet or just a Cadet? If you are SMP I would send in the DD214.

Cadet Higham

imported post

I amnot a SMPCadet.

When I talked with them this morning, they said that they needed more than the Utah CFP application with the stamp on it, but while looking at the posted requirements it meets all of them. Is there anything I can do to point this out to them?

Cadet Higham

imported post

UPDATE -

I made another call today, and found out that the Utah CFP permit stamped and signed by the instructor is NOT enough to issue a permit. The documentation that they need must have:

The applicant's name
The type of class - what was covered in the class
The instructor's name, credentials and signature

The requirement states "Basic Handgun Safety" is required.

thx997303

imported post

You'd think they knew what was taught, based on the Utah requirements, which they should know, since they have reciprocity.

41 Magnum

imported post

I'm wondering if they're talking about something like an NRA course? You could pass it easily, I'm sure. I'm instructor rated,and I'd be willing to put you through it. It'd only take a couple hours.

Another thought-

Have you passed hunter education? That should qualify. I know I cover more "safety" stuff during a hunter ed course than ina basic NRA course anyway.

calmp9

imported post

Cadet Higham wrote:
I sent in my Maine CFP application 3 weeks ago. It returned saying that I didn't have a proof of handgun safety. I had attached the Utah application which the instructor stamped and signed (It wasn't notarized, but I didn't think it needed to be)

What should I do to correct this?

I know that the Utah CCW application has to be notorized in order for it to be valid. When I took the CCW class, all the instructor did was stamp and sign the application. There is not certificate of completion. That's what the stamp and signature are for.

Perhaps the governing body that processes the firearm permit applications do not realize this. You have to read it in order to know. Some of these agencies are looking for a certificate of some sort and they're doing it in a hurry. In your case, all they saw is the Utah application and they probably didn't even look at it. They may have thought that you put submitted the wrong document. I would definitely call first before doing anything else. They may accept it if they still have it.