Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unsafe 'target' shooting near campground

Post imported post

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ooting20m.html

"Campers on the north shore of Yale Reservoir hid behind cars to avoid incoming bullets and frantically called 911 last weekend after a Vancouver man — standing on the Clark County side of the lake — allegedly fired three guns toward them..."

Sounds fubar, and makes for a great sensationalistic article to whip the Seattle gun grabbers into a frenzy.
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

Post imported post

I don't see anything sensationalistic in the story. This appears to be criminal behavior on the part of the shooter.

Post imported post

Yea, shooting at the water isn't such a good idea.

"He submitted to a portable breath test that measured his alcohol level at 0.03, below the 0.08 DUI threshold, the report said."

Is the a legal limit for carry/ shooting. Maybe a OCUI (open carrying under the influnce)?

Post imported post

44Brent wrote:
    I don't see anything sensationalistic in the story. This appears to be criminal behavior on the part of the shooter.
    Well, it has all the elements they need to hoist the gun ban flag: kids in danger, + AK47 ('assault rifle')+ 'high capacity' magazines. Of course it's top page material for seattletimes.com.
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Safety is a tyrant's tool because no one can be against safety. Public safety is a public safety officer's tool to screw his opponents.

Post imported post

Sounds to me like the guy violated one of the 4 universal rules of firearm safety.

Im sure anyone here can only guess as to which one...

Post imported post

i'm guessing.... finger off the trigger until your ready to shoot???

Post imported post

SlacK wrote:
    Don't aim at anything you are not willing to destroy.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    SlacK wrote:
    Don't aim at anything you are not willing to destroy.
    Know where that bullet is going......

Post imported post

How about making sure you have a good back stop behind your target.

This guy makes us all look bad. :X

Post imported post

I doubt the guy was actually target shooting. Just blowing off rounds is what I suspect.

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    I doubt the guy was actually target shooting. Just blowing off rounds is what I suspect.
    He said he was just shooting at the little island between his side of the lake and the campground on the other...

Post imported post

Here's the take on the situation on another forum: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=372121

If I had my way, this shooter would be spending time in a jail cell.

Post imported post

David.Car wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    He said he was just shooting at the little island between his side of the lake and the campground on the other...
    So the title starts out with a lie and probably gets worse from there. I never met anyone that shoot targets with an AK variant. They just aren't design for MOA shooting. MOM shooting yes, but not MOA.

Post imported post

I have done quite a lot of target shooting with a AK-47. You do not need MOA to enjoy shooting a rifle. I have done a lot of muzzle loading shooting too, no MOA with those.

I guess in some peoples minds (such as they are) if it is not a $2000 Schutzen rifle it just is not a real gun.

Snobs with their weird attitude about what is a proper gun are as bad as the gun banners.

Post imported post

Bill45 wrote:
    I have done quite a lot of target shooting with a AK-47. You do not need MOA to enjoy shooting a rifle. I have done a lot of muzzle loading shooting too, no MOA with those.

I guess in some peoples minds (such as they are) if it is not a $2000 Schutzen rifle it just is not a real gun.

Snobs with their weird attitude about what is a proper gun are as bad as the gun banners.
    I own several AK variants right now and have owned in the past at least 30 AKs, plus carriedan AKin combat several times (M-16 are a POS as a battle rifle). So get off you high horse because you know nothing about AKs or me. But they were never meant to shoot better than 2 to 3" groups out of a good one because that is all that's required from a battle rifle, plus always function.

If you can't shoot close to a 1" group with a muzzle loader then you either can't shoot or you don't know a good one from a junker. I had a couple of muzzle loader that would shoot sub MOA any time I did my part.

I have one $1000 gun and it is a custom built for me and there will never be another. The rest go down from there and most of my favorites are under $500. But then you didn't just spend the day with a bunch of guys shooting thousands of rounds down range and enjoying each others toys. So calling me a snob for stating the truth about AKs just dosen't fit the facts.

Post imported post

Bill45 wrote:

I have had AK variants, never shot target with them, but did burn up a lot of ammo. I currently have an SKS that does the same thing...burns up a lot of ammo, not accurate for target shooting. I also have Sharps and Hiwall rifles that will shoot MOA out to 500 m. they cost in the 2k to 5k range each. Does that make me or anyone else that has the expensive "tack drivers" a snob? NO but just emphasises the fact that we are gun people. Granted there are some that think as you indicated, however, I beleive they are in the minority. Just like the ones that have hand guns but do not carry, or CPL holders that do not OC. The point is, they are not snobs, but people that need some education. Let's give it too them.

And no, I was not offended by your post and mean no offense to yours.

Post imported post

Before we all get our panties in a twist, lets define target shooting. Nearly 100% of my shooting is target shooting. I go to the local range, set up targets, and shoot them with every gun I own. My M-14 hits them pretty accurately, my Carcano I have yet to hit paper at 50 yards because there appears to be something wrong with the rifle. My SKS gets most rounds on target and my pistols vary depending on how tired I am and which pistol I am shooting. If you mean "target shooting" as in keeping score then no, I never target shoot with any of my rifles except in the rare instance of my entering a postal match on one of the gun boards.

Before we get all hepped up here lets consider that lots of us (probably a majority of shooters) go to the range to shoot targets. Just because they aren't super concerned about MOA, just about having fun and getting to be a better shot doesn't mean they aren't target shooters or that they aren't target shooting.

Post imported post

heresolong wrote:
    Before we all get our panties in a twist, lets define target shooting. Nearly 100% of my shooting is target shooting. I go to the local range, set up targets, and shoot them with every gun I own. My M-14 hits them pretty accurately, my Carcano I have yet to hit paper at 50 yards because there appears to be something wrong with the rifle. My SKS gets most rounds on target and my pistols vary depending on how tired I am and which pistol I am shooting. If you mean "target shooting" as in keeping score then no, I never target shoot with any of my rifles except in the rare instance of my entering a postal match on one of the gun boards.

Before we get all hepped up here lets consider that lots of us (probably a majority of shooters) go to the range to shoot targets. Just because they aren't super concerned about MOA, just about having fun and getting to be a better shot doesn't mean they aren't target shooters or that they aren't target shooting.
    The guy was shooting at an island in the middle of the lake. I doubt there were any targets set up. I would not call an island a target unless I was using artillery and shelling the place.

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    heresolong wrote: The guy was shooting at an island in the middle of the lake. I doubt there were any targets set up. I would not call an island a target unless I was using artillery and shelling the place.
    I wasn't referring to the fellow in the story. I read the story and I don't remember a reference to target shooting. I was referring to the claim by a member of this forum that no one shoots targets with an AK. The guy in the story is an idiot and, as stated earlier, should spend some time in jail. But we do, in fact, shoot targets with AK variants. It is fun.

PS where do we get artillery so that we can, in fact, call islands targets while we blow them up? That also sounds like fun.

State Researcher

Post imported post

heresolong wrote:
    PS where do we get artillery so that we can, in fact, call islands targets while we blow them up? That also sounds like fun.
    Get 'em here. http://www.cannon-mania.com/

Post imported post

heresolong wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    heresolong wrote: The guy was shooting at an island in the middle of the lake. I doubt there were any targets set up. I would not call an island a target unless I was using artillery and shelling the place.
    I wasn't referring to the fellow in the story. I read the story and I don't remember a reference to target shooting. I was referring to the claim by a member of this forum that no one shoots targets with an AK. The guy in the story is an idiot and, as stated earlier, should spend some time in jail. But we do, in fact, shoot targets with AK variants. It is fun.

I don't remember ever once, shooting an AK at a bullseye target ever in 40+ years of shooting AKs. At lots of things but never at a paper target.

Post imported post

Here ya go!

Post imported post

kparker wrote:
    Here ya go!

Post imported post

kparker wrote:
    Here ya go!
    Thanks. Been there, done that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast