• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unsafe 'target' shooting near campground

Dave_pro2a

imported post

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008008815_webcampshooting20m.html

"Campers on the north shore of Yale Reservoir hid behind cars to avoid incoming bullets and frantically called 911 last weekend after a Vancouver man — standing on the Clark County side of the lake — allegedly fired three guns toward them..."

Sounds fubar, and makes for a great sensationalistic article to whip the Seattle gun grabbers into a frenzy.

44Brent

imported post

I don't see anything sensationalistic in the story. This appears to be criminal behavior on the part of the shooter.

DrewGunner

imported post

Yea, shooting at the water isn't such a good idea.

"He submitted to a portable breath test that measured his alcohol level at 0.03, below the 0.08 DUI threshold, the report said."

Is the a legal limit for carry/ shooting. Maybe a OCUI (open carrying under the influnce)?

Dave_pro2a

imported post

44Brent wrote:
I don't see anything sensationalistic in the story. This appears to be criminal behavior on the part of the shooter.
Well, it has all the elements they need to hoist the gun ban flag: kids in danger, + AK47 ('assault rifle')+ 'high capacity' magazines. Of course it's top page material for seattletimes.com.

David.Car

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
I doubt the guy was actually target shooting. Just blowing off rounds is what I suspect.
He said he was just shooting at the little island between his side of the lake and the campground on the other...

Bear 45/70

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
I doubt the guy was actually target shooting. Just blowing off rounds is what I suspect.
He said he was just shooting at the little island between his side of the lake and the campground on the other...
So the title starts out with a lie and probably gets worse from there. I never met anyone that shoot targets with an AK variant. They just aren't design for MOA shooting. MOM shooting yes, but not MOA.

Bill45

imported post

I have done quite a lot of target shooting with a AK-47. You do not need MOA to enjoy shooting a rifle. I have done a lot of muzzle loading shooting too, no MOA with those.

I guess in some peoples minds (such as they are) if it is not a $2000 Schutzen rifle it just is not a real gun.

Snobs with their weird attitude about what is a proper gun are as bad as the gun banners.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Bill45 wrote:
I have done quite a lot of target shooting with a AK-47. You do not need MOA to enjoy shooting a rifle. I have done a lot of muzzle loading shooting too, no MOA with those.

I guess in some peoples minds (such as they are) if it is not a $2000 Schutzen rifle it just is not a real gun.

Snobs with their weird attitude about what is a proper gun are as bad as the gun banners.

I own several AK variants right now and have owned in the past at least 30 AKs, plus carriedan AKin combat several times (M-16 are a POS as a battle rifle). So get off you high horse because you know nothing about AKs or me. But they were never meant to shoot better than 2 to 3" groups out of a good one because that is all that's required from a battle rifle, plus always function.

If you can't shoot close to a 1" group with a muzzle loader then you either can't shoot or you don't know a good one from a junker. I had a couple of muzzle loader that would shoot sub MOA any time I did my part.

I have one $1000 gun and it is a custom built for me and there will never be another. The rest go down from there and most of my favorites are under $500. But then you didn't just spend the day with a bunch of guys shooting thousands of rounds down range and enjoying each others toys. So calling me a snob for stating the truth about AKs just dosen't fit the facts.
rolleyes.gif

Trigger Dr

imported post

Bill45 wrote:

I have had AK variants, never shot target with them, but did burn up a lot of ammo. I currently have an SKS that does the same thing...burns up a lot of ammo, not accurate for target shooting. I also have Sharps and Hiwall rifles that will shoot MOA out to 500 m. they cost in the 2k to 5k range each. Does that make me or anyone else that has the expensive "tack drivers" a snob? NO but just emphasises the fact that we are gun people. Granted there are some that think as you indicated, however, I beleive they are in the minority. Just like the ones that have hand guns but do not carry, or CPL holders that do not OC. The point is, they are not snobs, but people that need some education. Let's give it too them.

And no, I was not offended by your post and mean no offense to yours.

heresolong

imported post

Before we all get our panties in a twist, lets define target shooting. Nearly 100% of my shooting is target shooting. I go to the local range, set up targets, and shoot them with every gun I own. My M-14 hits them pretty accurately, my Carcano I have yet to hit paper at 50 yards because there appears to be something wrong with the rifle. My SKS gets most rounds on target and my pistols vary depending on how tired I am and which pistol I am shooting. If you mean "target shooting" as in keeping score then no, I never target shoot with any of my rifles except in the rare instance of my entering a postal match on one of the gun boards.

Before we get all hepped up here lets consider that lots of us (probably a majority of shooters) go to the range to shoot targets. Just because they aren't super concerned about MOA, just about having fun and getting to be a better shot doesn't mean they aren't target shooters or that they aren't target shooting.

Bear 45/70

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Before we all get our panties in a twist, lets define target shooting. Nearly 100% of my shooting is target shooting. I go to the local range, set up targets, and shoot them with every gun I own. My M-14 hits them pretty accurately, my Carcano I have yet to hit paper at 50 yards because there appears to be something wrong with the rifle. My SKS gets most rounds on target and my pistols vary depending on how tired I am and which pistol I am shooting. If you mean "target shooting" as in keeping score then no, I never target shoot with any of my rifles except in the rare instance of my entering a postal match on one of the gun boards.

Before we get all hepped up here lets consider that lots of us (probably a majority of shooters) go to the range to shoot targets. Just because they aren't super concerned about MOA, just about having fun and getting to be a better shot doesn't mean they aren't target shooters or that they aren't target shooting.
The guy was shooting at an island in the middle of the lake. I doubt there were any targets set up. I would not call an island a target unless I was using artillery and shelling the place.

heresolong

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
heresolong wrote: The guy was shooting at an island in the middle of the lake. I doubt there were any targets set up. I would not call an island a target unless I was using artillery and shelling the place.
I wasn't referring to the fellow in the story. I read the story and I don't remember a reference to target shooting. I was referring to the claim by a member of this forum that no one shoots targets with an AK. The guy in the story is an idiot and, as stated earlier, should spend some time in jail. But we do, in fact, shoot targets with AK variants. It is fun.

PS where do we get artillery so that we can, in fact, call islands targets while we blow them up? That also sounds like fun.