• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

[NY Gov.] Paterson: NRA should train gun owners. NYDailyNews.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008/06/19/2008-06-19_paterson_nra_should_train_gun_owners.html

BY KENNETH LOVETT
DAILY NEWS ALBANY BUREAU CHIEF
Thursday, June 19th 2008, 9:04 PM
ALBANY - Gov. Paterson wants to give the National Rifle Association - of all people - a state-sanctioned role in training would-be gun owners in New York.

Paterson is proposing a gun safety bill that, in part, requires buyers of guns to first take a firearms safety course.

A clause tucked away in the bill says the program must meet or exceed the standards of "the home firearms safety course as approved by the National Rifle Association" or another course approved by the state police.

While the NRA training program is well-regarded, its inclusion in the bill has angered a number of legislative Democrats and anti-gun activists.

Jackie Hilly, executive director of New Yorkers Against Violence, said the inclusion of the NRA in the legislation gives the group state-sanctioned support.
She said it should be up to the state police to set specific standards for the safety courses, not a pro-gun interest group looking for new members.

"I don't think that's something the state wants to put its imprint on," Hilly said.
Upset Democrats are trying to meet with Paterson aides about the provision.
Ironically, the NRA opposes the overall Paterson bill, saying it imposes too many financial and regulatory burdens on the industry.

Paterson spokeswoman Risa Heller said 12 states, including Connecticut, reference the NRA firearms safety courses, which she called the "gold standard," in their gun laws.

Heller also said state law cites as "duly authorized" NRA-certified gun instructors, "thus there is already a precedence for referring to the NRA in New York State law."

Paterson's bill has faced opposition in both houses and has yet to be introduced.

The Second Amendment must soon be incorporated into the Fourteenth Amendment else our RKABA be reasonably compromised away. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, in this case with payment due and payable with each change of administration.
Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ <--follow the money

Flintlock

imported post

Gun owning citizens shouldn't be forced to take a course from a private entity in order to exercise their 2nd amendment rights. Nor should the NRA be responsible for giving free courses or be forced to give them under any circumstances. New York's crime problem and firearm related issues stem not from accidental discharges and sight picture, but from those that buy the guns illegally, use the guns illegally, and would therefore not attend any such course anyway.

In Alaska, we don't even have a requirement to take any such course to carry both openly and concealed. The way it should be. Any courses I have taken was on my own accord.

tattedupboy

imported post

If my memory serves me correctly, the only states that currently require safety training for the mere ownership of firearms are PRHI and PRRI. Can anyone tell me where in the Constitution I can find this requirement?:?