• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms Related Issues FAQ - Per Michigan State Police

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Firearms-related frequently raised issues
What follows are the short answers to those firearms-related questions most often asked by police officers and the public.

Open carry of firearms
Subject to MCL 750.234d, it is legal to carry a visible pistol in public.

Possession of a pistol belonging to another
Per MCL 28.432, a person with a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) may legally possess a properly registered pistol belonging to another. The owner need not be present.

Possession of pistols by non-residents
A resident of another state may possess a pistol in Michigan if they have a CPL issued by their state of residence (MCL 28.432 & MCL 28.432a). Without a CPL, a nonresident may not have a pistol in Michigan.

Safety Inspection Certificates
Michigan law does not require a person to have a copy of their certificate with their pistol after it has been registered; nor does the law require that a person keep a copy.

Transporting ammunition and long-guns
MCL 750.227d describes the lawful way to transport a shotgun or rifle. While they must be unloaded, they may be transported in the same case as ammunition (including loaded magazines).

CPL holders – required notifications
The notification requirements of MCL 28.425f only apply when a CPL holder is actually carrying a concealed pistol. Nothing in Michigan law allows an officer to search a CPL holder to determine whether they are carrying a pistol.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._66_238184_7.pdf

jmlefler

imported post

Hmmm,

Where do I go to get my pistol 'registered'?

I've had it 'safety inspected', but not 'registered'.

Am I in violation of the MSP guidelines?

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Now, now. At least the State police are being honest, and calling the "safety inspection" what it really is, registration. ;)