• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Janet Howell 'frustrated' by VCDL

Repeater

imported post

Learning From Tragedy
Panel discusses lessons 14 months after Virginia Tech massacre.

By Mirza Kurspahic, Centre View
Thursday, June 19, 2008

The April 16, 2007, tragedy at Virginia Tech struck a chord in Fairfax County for many reasons, not least of which is that five of the 32 victims and the shooter hailed from the area. Discussing the aftermath of the tragedy almost 14 months after it, fathers of the two victims met with legislators and experts to discuss some lessons learned from the massacre.

"Our angel Reema, Mary Read and other children, and their professors were such creative, positive and inclusive people," said Joe Samaha, father of Reema Samaha, one of the victims of the tragedy. "We know they would want to fix the wrongs that led to the tragedy," said Joe Samaha, who along with other members of the family and friends founded Angel Fund, established to honor the victims and learn the lessons from the tragedy to help ensure it does not happen again.

Angel Fund produced an educational forum on Tuesday night, June 10, at the St. John Neumann Catholic Church in Reston. The panel included Joe Samaha, Peter Read — father of Mary Read, a Virginia Tech victim — state Sen. Janet Howell (D-32), state Del. Chuck Caputo (D-67) and Carroll Ann Ellis, director of the Fairfax County Police Department’s Victim Services Division. Samaha said the Virginia Tech tragedy involved a failure of institutions. "Our tragedy at Virginia Tech involved much more than guns," said Samaha.

Caputo said there was an understanding in both the House of Delegates and the Senate that the mental health system needed to be reformed. "The need is fully recognized and the desire is there to right some wrongs," he said. However, he said, firearm legislation he introduced during the last General Assembly session did not receive such support. One bill he hoped to pass through was to have private gun vendors follow federal guidelines in performing an instant background check on their customers. Caputo said that the police testified in favor of the bill, but that it was struck down in a committee. He said the gun show loophole bill would have reduced the probability of guns winding up in hands of wrong people. "Here to me was a no-brainer," he said. Another two firearm bills he introduced, banning firearms in libraries and day care centers, did not pass through a subcommittee.

John Callaghan, the development director at Opportunities, Alternatives and Resources (OAR) of Fairfax County, asked what the major arguments were from people who are against closing of the gun show loophole. Caputo said the grand argument is their defense of the Second Amendment and that the next step would mean further restrictions on firearms.

"FROM THEIR perspective, the government is always and forever trying to get their guns," said Read, adding that a member of the Virginia Citizens Defense League said he wanted his gun delivered over night as a matter of convenience. "No amount of logic or obviousness can persuade them," said Read. "They will literally stand next to someone whose daughter has been shot dead and tell them about inconvenience."

Samaha said regional influences are also brought up in the arguments against firearm restrictions. "We also get the argument that this is an urban issue, a Northern Virginia problem," he said, adding that the pro-gun lobby speaks of the south of the state as a place where guns are traded between neighbors. Howell said "gun rights zealots" make up a small proportion of the political body, but she is frustrated that they exert so much influence.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This "inconvenience" business is the same trick Senator Dick Saslaw pulled on Philip Van Cleave, Pres. VCDL, during senate hearings.

Its just that, a trick. They're off on a tangent.

VCDL either supported or did not oppose mental health reform.

If you reply, don't let yourself be pulled into arguing the point. Go after their implied "heartlessness" message. Hammer them on their hypocrisy, calling us heartless while being willing to get other people killed with gun control. And use their emotion weaponagainst them. Be outraged yourself. They know they can't win on logic, so they likely can't or won't revert to it.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have had several friends and relatives killed by motor vehicles. Therefore I want to close the "classified ad" loophole for automobile sales and want to ban cars that look big and scary and could kill someone. And don't tell me that walking to work will be inconvenient, I have moral superiority pretty much forever because someone I loved was killed by the thing I want banned. :banghead:

jack

Banned
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I have had several friends and relatives killed by motor vehicles. Therefore I want to close the "classified ad" loophole for automobile sales and want to ban cars that look big and scary and could kill someone. And don't tell me that walking to work will be inconvenient, I have moral superiority pretty much forever because someone I loved was killed by the thing I want banned. :banghead:
Actually that is a great thought ! I'm going to use that on my sister n law that is really anti-gun AND ALWAYS GETTING INTO CAR ACCIDENTS !

hsmith

imported post

What did the gun show loophole have to do with the VT Shootings?

Oh thats right, it is the brain dead Brady Group EXPLOITING the victims of Virginia Tech.

hsmith

imported post

Citizen wrote:
This "inconvenience" business is the same trick Senator Dick Saslaw pulled on Philip Van Cleave, Pres. VCDL, during senate hearings.

If you reply, don't let yourself be pulled into arguing the point. Go after their implied "heartlessness" message. Hammer them on their hypocrisy, calling us heartless while being willing to get other people killed with gun control. And use their emotion weaponagainst them. Be outraged yourself. They know they can't win on logic, so they likely can't or won't revert to it.
The Brady Group supports women being raped and victims of domestic violence murdered by their abusive spouses. I mean, they don't want women to defend themselves, so obviously they prefer them being murdered and raped. How does the Million Mom March feel about supporting that kind of agenda?

Nonsensical emotional arguments just might be it!

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hsmith wrote:
What did the gun show loophole have to do with the VT Shootings?

Oh thats right, it is the brain dead Brady Group EXPLOITING the victims of Virginia Tech.
+1,000,000

I am so, so sorry that our freedom "frustrates" them. Their ignorance and their desire for a police state certainly frutrates me.

I know they would rather we all shut up and let them round up everything they consider dangerous; along with round up those who DARE express an opinion even slightly opposed to their vicious anti-American , anti freedom agenda.

Tomahawk

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Citizen wrote:

The Brady Group supports women being raped and victims of domestic violence murdered by their abusive spouses. I mean, they don't want women to defend themselves, so obviously they prefer them being murdered and raped. How does the Million Mom March feel about supporting that kind of agenda?

I forget who said it, but the line was something like,

"Gun ban advocates would rather see a woman laying dead in an alley strangled with her own pantyhose than see her standing over the body of her attacker with a warm pistol in her hand."

Graphic, of course, and yet as true as the sun is hot.

AbNo

imported post

Citizen wrote:
If you reply, don't let yourself be pulled into arguing the point.  Go after their implied "heartlessness" message.  Hammer them on their hypocrisy, calling us heartless while being willing to get other people killed with gun control.  And use their emotion weapon against them.  Be outraged yourself.  They know they can't win on logic, so they likely can't or won't revert to it.

I just ask them why we don't make it illegal to shoot other people. ;)

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
hsmith wrote:
Citizen wrote:

I forget who said it, but the line was something like,

"Gun ban advocates would rather see a woman laying dead in an alley strangled with her own pantyhose than see her standing over the body of her attacker with a warm pistol in her hand."

Graphic, of course, and yet as true as the sun is hot.
There is a lot more truth in your statement than many might realize. Some of the more fringe anti lunatics have said as much. Bella Absug (spelling?) for one. These excuses for humans would rather sacrifice the lives of innocent victims on their agenda alter than risk telling them to use whatever weapons they can muster in their defense.. preferrably a firearm.

AbNo

imported post

You know, I was thinking today....

"The Second Amendment doesn't apply anymore today! The Founding Fathers never envisioned XDs, MP-5s, and sniper rifles!"

"You're right. I suppose the First Amendment doesn't apply to television, cell phones, video games, or the internet, either. We should get right on that."

sccrref

imported post

AbNo wrote:
You know, I was thinking today....

"The Second Amendment doesn't apply anymore today! The Founding Fathers never envisioned XDs, MP-5s, and sniper rifles!"

"You're right. I suppose the First Amendment doesn't apply to television, cell phones, video games, or the internet, either. We should get right on that."
Don't leave out wire taps and electronic listening devices. They should be legal for LE to use against us. I think that there is an amendment against illegal searches and seizures in there someplace. :cuss::banghead: