• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Evolution of Open Carry

steveforopen

imported post

I have been watching these boards for almost three years now, and I cannot tell you how excited I am to watch the progress being made by the members here.

Virginia has been at it awhile, but open carry exposure in other states had been nearly stagnant until OpenCarry.org members flourished. In the last three years, the amount of positive media exposure and other informative and educational events and dinners that have taken place has been huge.

I feel honored to watch such progress, and be a part of an honest grassroots movement that ensures our rights for years to come.

Kudos to all of you that participate in this activism, as you are a bold breed that I would call my friends any day.

Legba

imported post

Good of you to say. I've become concerned lately about the real or apparent increase in general complacency and submission of the part of the people generally. Perhaps I overstate the matter and it's no more than bread and circus games (beer and television) that distract them. Whatever. Having a "Free Tibet" bumper sticker on your car passes for activism any more, and that's not good enough. I prefer what Milton called "hard liberty before the easy yoke of servile pomp."

Even if this recent press doesn't generate any converts, at least it might provoke someone to thought.

-ljp

thx997303

imported post

This is awesome, I think that one of the owners said that our membership is around 7,000. I can't believe it myself.

LEO 229

imported post

Some things cannot be rushed and getting the public and some police informed that OC is OK will simply take time.

thx997303

imported post

And what does that have to do with anything? We understand this, but we still need to be making steps.

I agree, we can't force things, but if they go as they have been, and we're not pushing it, then all the better.

imperialism2024

imported post

I'll admit that I didn't think the open carry movement was very large, up until the past several weeks when we've been seeing an exceptional number of articles published about us. And the number of new members showing up has been indicative, too.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I have the fortune of being able to see in real life that there are a lot more unicorns out there than we know. Being able to converse with them, its amazing how many folks OC that aren't connected to VCDL or OCDO, but know its legal and exercise their rights.