• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idaho Attorney Generals Office Website

Hiredgun30

imported post

Code:
this question and answer came from the Idaho Attorney Generals Office website

Code:
May I carry a firearm in my vehicle without a concealed weapons permit?
Yes, if it is located in plain view or disassembled or unloaded.

READ THE QUESTION CAREFULLY !!!

heres what the law says:

Code:
while in any motor vehicle, inside the limits or confines of any city, a person shall not carry a concealed weapon on or about his person
without a license to carry a concealed weapon. This shall not apply to any
firearm located in plain view whether it is loaded or unloaded. A firearm may be concealed legally in a motor vehicle so long as the weapon is disassembled
or unloaded.

in a way its misleading because it never mentions your open carried firearm 
can be carried loaded.. lets get them to correct this. If i were reading that 
and i was a greenhorn, I would be kind of sceptical to carry a loaded firearm in my vehicle.
Code:

Attachments

• prod_106_11972.jpg
    prod_106_11972.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 201

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Seems pretty clear to me. 'Shall not apply' means that this law doesn't apply when it is in plain view, loaded or unloaded. I agree things can be confusing, especially if this is a new interest for you and you're just beginning to learn about how the laws apply to you. That's what we're all here for. :) Carry on friend.

hitbackfirst

imported post

According to the Ada County Deputies who teach the CC class, 'plain view' basically means on the passenger seat. Open carry on your hip in a car is not considered plain view according to the guys who will be arresting you! :)

(With a CC license, however, you may carry openly or concealed in any way you like.)

Hiredgun30

imported post

wont be the 1st time ada county got it wrong..
ask them if it makes sense that idaho allows you to conceal a shotgun or rifle in a
trench coat without a CCW. and they consider a holstered weapon on a person
(in plain view) in a vehicle to be concealed.

my father got his weapon confiscated during a traffic stop , he had left it in the console and didnt have a CCW. It took like 4 months before he could go to court and get his firearm back from Jerome County. If he had just taken the mag out it wouldnt have been an issue.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Goes back to old western times. A shotgun or rifle isn't considered a "dangerous" weapon because they were mainly used for hunting. They were worried about bad guys concealing guns because people who were good upright citizens wore their guns on their hips; they had nothing to hide. A lot of our laws here reach way back to a different (and better IMHO) way of thinking.