• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at walmart

schwarzi88

imported post

As i entered the walmart in my town today (SLC, Utah) i was instant ly asked by 2 security guards to either conseal my fire arm or i would have to leave. the guard asked me if i was a LEO and the after i told him no he then told me to conseal it for the second time or i would have to leave. i asked him if i were to be a LEO then it would be ok to OC but since im not i have to conseal right?!?!?!? so after asking him if there are any sighns posted at the entrances he said "if we were to post signs for everything there would be an awful lot of signs" so since i did have a CWP i did end up tucking my shirt over my firearm ........ he also said that since this store is private property he can ask me to conseal since he wants ppl to have a "Safe" shopping expierience!

so my ? is : are they allowed to make me conseal or kick me out of the store?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

schwarzi88 wrote:
As i entered the walmart in my town today (SLC, Utah) i was instant ly asked by 2 security guards to either conseal my fire arm or i would have to leave. the guard asked me if i was a LEO and the after i told him no he then told me to conseal it for the second time or i would have to leave. i asked him if i were to be a LEO then it would be ok to OC but since im not i have to conseal right?!?!?!? so after asking him if there are any sighns posted at the entrances he said "if we were to post signs for everything there would be an awful lot of signs" so since i did have a CWP i did end up tucking my shirt over my firearm ........ he also said that since this store is private property he can ask me to conseal since he wants ppl to have a "Safe" shopping expierience!

I open carry all the time in my localWalmart.I'm not sure what the laws are in your area, but in Nevada if you don't leave when you are asked to you can be arrested for tresspassing.

Now, as far as the Walmart itself, I believe this Walmart violated Walmart corporate policy. Walmart's corporate policy is to reflect state laws regarding firearms. If I were you I would write e-mails to Walmart's corporate website informing them of what happened so that they can pass on what they will to the store where you were at.

The very first time I open carried in my local Walmart a manager confronted me asking me if I would conceal, but when I informed her of the legality of open carry she went to call her brother, who was part of the Sherrif's Department, to ask if it was legal to do that and I just went on with my shopping with no problems.

Aran

Banned
imported post

I'm too lazy to hunt down the posts, but basically check 75% of the threads I've started between here in the PA state subforum and on PAFOA.org's forums.

WalMart may have one corporate policy, but that doesn't mean any of the stores adhere to it. I've had the police called on me, a hostile Loss Prevention employee swearing at me and in my face, etc.

I'm not the only one to have had an issue at my WalMart, either.

Aberk

imported post

Aran wrote:
I'm too lazy to hunt down the posts, but basically check 75% of the threads I've started between here in the PA state subforum and on PAFOA.org's forums.

WalMart may have one corporate policy, but that doesn't mean any of the stores adhere to it. I've had the police called on me, a hostile Loss Prevention employee swearing at me and in my face, etc.

It is my understanding that walmart's corporate policy is to conceal firearms.

EDIT: I quoted the wrong post.

Aran

Banned
imported post

Aberk wrote:
Aran wrote:

It is my understanding that walmart's corporate policy is to conceal firearms.

EDIT: I quoted the wrong post.
Their policy, as has been stated many times, is to follow the state's laws. There is no mention as to which particular section in which state.

If only they'd follow their own policy.

patriot2008

imported post

You know I was thinking after reading this. All one would have to do is get a copy of the law where ever you live and shrink it laminated it and keep it in your wallet. This way you can show who ever wally world manager or even thepolice them selves

Aberk

imported post

patriot2008 wrote:
You know I was thinking after reading this. All one would have to do is get a copy of the law where ever you live and shrink it laminated it and keep it in your wallet. This way you can show who ever wally world manager or even thepolice them selves

Most of the law is printed on the back of the license in GA. What many GA OCers do is carry shrunk down statements of corporate policies to the places they frequent most.

Often times laws can be confusingly worded and the manager may not agree with them. In many states they have the power to arrest you for tresspassing if you dont comply with their wishes, but if you carry a copy of their corporte policy they have a tougher time arguing against OC. Though my wallet would be very fat if I carried corporate policies for everywhere I frequent.

Mainsail

imported post

I was asked to leave a WalMart for open carry by an assistant manager so I left. Then I contacted their regional manager and got the store’s assistant manager straightened out. If they ask you to leave you’re pretty much obligated to do so. That does not mean that you can’t fight it.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

schwarzi88 wrote:

No they are not allowed to make you comit a crime. They can kick you out due to trespassing laws.

compmanio365

imported post

It seems that people have the problems with the assistant manager of the stores in question. It was who I had an issue with, as well as many other people. ALWAYS ask for the general manager of the store, as they are the highest ranking person at that store. I asked for the general manager of the store after the asst. manager asked me to leave, and the general manager apologized and chewed out the asst. manager for harassing me about OC.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Find out who is the Security Chief for your particular Walmart region. Contact that person and get the weapons policy from him. Add his contact info to your cell and if there is ever a issue dial the Security Chiefs number, let him know what is going on. He will inform the employee in no uncertain terms that Walmart follows state law. Be nice during the encounter and please don't start smiling when you see the color leave their face.

Western Washington
Walmart Security Chief
Jason Schmidt
253-770-4399

Walmart Corp Number
1-800-881-9180