• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gander Mountain gets worse

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

Any time I'ver bought from a dealer I always had to produce two forms of ID.
One with a picture ID and another with a address.

Folks - this discussion is hurting my eyes! Where is cite to authority? Come on, this is OCDO not some anti-gunners' kitchen klatche! All of this stuff is easily googleable.

Not every discussion is going to be strictly open carry, if it were it would made for a boring board. It is good info being passed on about GM so other folks here don't spend there money in a place that treats fellow gun owners like crap. As far as the discussion hurting your eyes, look away.

Harvdog

imported post

I just used my driver's license and CHP at GM last weekend to buy a Ruger 10/22. Unfortunately, I had a change of address card for my license since they recently changed our zip code.

They were being sticklers with the guy behind me beside his zip codes didn't match. He was able to go to the front and have they reprint his hunting/fishing license.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:

Folks - this discussion is hurting my eyes! Where is cite to authority? Come on, this is OCDO not some anti-gunners' kitchen klatche! All of this stuff is easily googleable.

Not every discussion is going to be strictly open carry, if it were it would made for a boring board. It is good info being passed on about GM so other folks here don't spend there money in a place that treats fellow gun owners like crap. As far as the discussion hurting your eyes, look away.
Huh? You miss the point - a lot of banter here could have been better directed had someone looked at the code - if Gander Mountain is not following the code, then folks need to direct the issue to their management and forcde them to comply.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

Mike wrote:
GLENGLOCKER wrote:

Huh? You miss the point - a lot of banter here could have been better directed had someone looked at the code - if Gander Mountain is not following the code, then folks need to direct the issue to their management and forcde them to comply.
That would be the best way to handle it. How many times have we heard people talk about crappy customer service but they don't do anything about it.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
Mike wrote:
if Gander Mountain is not following the code, then folks need to direct the issue to their management and forcde them to comply.
That would be the best way to handle it. How many times have we heard people talk about crappy customer service but they don't do anything about it.
Right - it's not that the discussion was not on open carry per se - it's just that time is awasting if folks don't help do the research and start the process rolling - I'd love to lay into them if they are making the rediculous Virginia secondary ID requirements even more onerous - the VAC code entry barring collection of info beyond what is in the code provides a good hook here.

possumboy

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
no clue at all as the address looks like any other.

The dealer yelled at her and mentioned that "The ATF may want to visit the house and check on the guns"

AS IF!!! :uhoh:
This does happen: http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=%5CSpecialReports%5Carchive%5C200508%5CSPE20050823a.html

"According to the complaints he received, Van Cleave said officers were dispatched to the homes of the prospective gun buyers to speak with family members, asking for example: "Gee, did you know your husband was going to a gun show today? Do you have his cell phone number? Did you know he was buying a gun? "

cmbf117

imported post

I just realized that my CHP and DL have different addresses, as I got the CHP while I was down at school and have recently moved back up to NOVA.

So I guess I'm screwed on the proof of residency thing?

If so, it still allows me to buy more than one gun at a time, and without a BG check, correct? Or do they still do the BG check?

PT111

imported post

cmbf117 wrote:
I just realized that my CHP and DL have different addresses, as I got the CHP while I was down at school and have recently moved back up to NOVA.

If so, it still allows me to buy more than one gun at a time, and without a BG check, correct? Or do they still do the BG check?
I would get one of them changed quickly to be sure they both have the same address. Unless they shot the same address one of them could easily be declared void or at least in SC. You are required to notify both agencies of aby change of address so one or the other is in violation.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PT111 wrote:
cmbf117 wrote:

I would get one of them changed quickly to be sure they both have the same address. Unless they shot the same address one of them could easily be declared void or at least in SC. You are required to notify both agencies of aby change of address so one or the other is in violation.
In VA, there's no requirement to notify the circuit court when you change your address. Actually, there's no procedure in place to get a new CHP with a corrected address anyway...

Griz

I absolutely sucks that Cabelas and Bass Pro are 60 miles away from me, while D!CKS and GM are only 20 miles. But I know enough when to listen to the chatter around the table. Not sure I've ever heard anything positive about the latter two vendors. Guess the extra fuel will be worth less trouble.

Marco

hello every one
i am giving you one help full Gander Mountain discount Coupon Code go www.homegoodcoupons.com and collect coupons save money in your shopping on Gander Mountain..
thanks
Holy Necro post Batman.....

GM opened in my area.. I don't see it lasting once Cabella's opens up..

VApatriot

Wow!

This thread has been DEAD for exactly one month shy of 6 YEARS, and it is suddenly brought back to life by what I can only believe is some sort of spam-bot. Oh, the great wonders and mysteries of the internet.

Front Royalty

I have slowly been losing interest in gander mountain. As an avid hiker, camper, fisherman, and shooter, there's not a section @ GM I don't frequent, less the archery section. Ammo is scarce and overpriced. Firearms are WAY over retail. Theyre asking retail for used guns. The place is a joke. Horribly understaffed to boot. Its too bad...its almost like unless you have to satisfy a North Face or 5.10 tactical craving, there's really no reason to be there at all. A shame, really.

The Truth

I bought my pistol from Dance's in Petersburg. Took me 6 months of back and forth with VA/SC DMVs to finally get my VA license, and then Dance's wouldn't even take my 2013 W-2 as a second ID. I was somewhat upset by this after jumping through hoops just to get my license. I looked everywhere in my truck and could not produce another form of acceptable ID. After 15 minutes of cursing to myself in the parking lot I went back in with all I could find in my truck ('13 W-2) and after all the huffing and puffing I was told with a *wink* that I could use a hunting license as a second form of ID, and that they sold them at the front desk. Really simple solution, not sure why the guy didn't tell me to do that to begin with. He was very helpful though, and I'm sure he was just trying to save me money on a hunting license in the case that I was able to produce ID #2. I needed a hunting license anyway, so all was well and dandy.

Too long no read; USE YOUR HUNTING LICENSE as ID #2!

Hope this helps anyone in the future.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I bought my pistol from Dance's in Petersburg. Took me 6 months of back and forth with VA/SC DMVs to finally get my VA license, and then Dance's wouldn't even take my 2013 W-2 as a second ID. I was somewhat upset by this after jumping through hoops just to get my license. I looked everywhere in my truck and could not produce another form of acceptable ID. After 15 minutes of cursing to myself in the parking lot I went back in with all I could find in my truck ('13 W-2) and after all the huffing and puffing I was told with a *wink* that I could use a hunting license as a second form of ID, and that they sold them at the front desk. Really simple solution, not sure why the guy didn't tell me to do that to begin with. He was very helpful though, and I'm sure he was just trying to save me money on a hunting license in the case that I was able to produce ID #2. I needed a hunting license anyway, so all was well and dandy.

Too long no read; USE YOUR HUNTING LICENSE as ID #2!

Hope this helps anyone in the future.

That is in § 18.2-308.2:2.

To establish personal identification and residence in Virginia for purposes of this section, a dealer must require any prospective purchaser to present one photo-identification form issued by a governmental agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense, and other documentation of residence. Except where the photo-identification was issued by the United States Department of Defense, the other documentation of residence shall show an address identical to that shown on the photo-identification form, such as evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real estate tax, or a current (a) lease, (b) utility or telephone bill, (c) voter registration card, (d) bank check, (e) passport, (f) automobile registration, or (g) hunting or fishing license; other current identification allowed as evidence of residency by Part 178.124 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations and ATF Ruling 2001-5; or other documentation of residence determined to be acceptable by the Department of Criminal Justice Services, that corroborates that the prospective purchaser currently resides in Virginia.