• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Beach Police are "prompted" to destroy history.

sectorsight

imported post

People don't even get money for their guns, that crazy. To the residents of Virginia Beach: i will pay you $1.00 for any gun you may want to turn in...no questions asked, and you get much more than the PD is offering to give you in return.

LEO 229

imported post

I never understood why you would give something to the police to be destroyed when you can actually make a few bucks off it.

I can see if you worry about a gun getting into the wrong hands or even a felon. But you can sell it to a pawn shop who will be a gun dealer.

Sad to hear old war guns being destroyed. Items of historic value gone forever!!

Table

imported post

Hey guys, I've been a lurking concealed carry guy for sometime and enjoy reading the posts. But I had to respond to this one.

I know a city employee that has been in the VaBch PD evidence locker. There are flintlocks, winchesters lever guns, sporting shotguns, etc etc that have been turned in over the years. The Chief will not sell them, donate them to youth shooting clubs, donate them to museums, nothing but destroy them.

If one gun that was in their possession was involved in a crime....

Sheriff

imported post

I would love to see the police records....

.....what was actually turned in, and what was actually destroyed.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It just occurred to me to ask. What is the police department, any police department,doing gathering personal property for destruction?

Does this mean I can take to the police all mytrash and junk appliances that I don't want?

Better take that old set of carving knives, extra rope,candle-sticks, and pipe.Oops,I almost forgot, allpoisons. Lemme see. Mmmm. Better take my old pillows, too. Don't want those falling into the wrong hands and being used to suffocate somebody's old rich uncle.

Tomahawk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
It just occurred to me to ask. What is the police department, any police department,doing gathering personal property for destruction?

Does this mean I can take to the police all mytrash and junk appliances that I don't want?

Better take that old set of carving knives, extra rope,candle-sticks, and pipe.Oops,I almost forgot, allpoisons. Lemme see. Mmmm. Better take my old pillows, too. Don't want those falling into the wrong hands and being used to suffocate somebody's old rich uncle.

Great point. I'm going to take my old underwear in for proper disposal by The Authorities.

I never understood why you would give something to the police to be destroyed when you can actually make a few bucks off it.

Well, people who are afraid of guns think it's wrong to put them back in circulation and make money off of what could be used in a crime. Plus, they think they are being Good Citizens by surrendering their property to the police.

In other words, their brains are broke.

Bubba Ron

imported post

JeffersonDavis wrote:
This line is interesting: This is not a buy back program. "We don't want people to steal a weapon to bring in for a small gift certificate. We don't want to create a crime to eliminate a crime," he said. It seems like the VBPD is bashing all the other local PD's for their Gun Buy-Back programs....I inherited an old Jennings POS that I'm looking forward to sell to the police, guess I'll have to wait until Hampton, Newport News, or Norfolk has another one.

hsmith

imported post

sectorsight wrote:
hsmith wrote:
I wish DC has a gun buyback sometime soon, I have a junked P22 I need to get rid of :eek:
What's wrong with it?
It is one of the older versions with the slide safety issues. It needs the slide to possibly be replaced completely.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
JeffersonDavis wrote:
This line is interesting: This is not a buy back program. "We don't want people to steal a weapon to bring in for a small gift certificate. We don't want to create a crime to eliminate a crime," he said. It seems like the VBPD is bashing all the other local PD's for their Gun Buy-Back programs....I inherited an old Jennings POS that I'm looking forward to sell to the police, guess I'll have to wait until Hampton, Newport News, or Norfolk has another one.
Bad side to that is it gives the antis numbers to say "see people don't want these guns" On another note VA Beach needs a new mayor. one with limited government in mind and wouldn't waste our tax dollars for this nonsense. John Moss for Mayor - Home Page

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Holy crap! I didn't realize that 27,375 kids are shot each year and that 5475 of that die? Where in the hell do they come up with these numbers. How do they keep a straight face when they say this?:cuss::banghead:

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

kimbercarrier wrote:
Holy crap! I didn't realize that 27,375 kids are shot each year and that 5475 of that die? Where in the hell do they come up with these numbers. How do they keep a straight face when they say this?:cuss::banghead:
They are counting kids up to the tend age of 25 for starters.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
kimbercarrier wrote:
They are counting kids up to the tend age of 25 for starters.
Many of those are also gang related.