• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where can we get 'Cash-n-Carry' Rifles? Gun Shows?

concerned_citizen

imported post

I was at the Great Southern Gun & Knife Show and wanted so desparately to purchase a .223 rifle. I had the cash in my pocket but I am so wary of filling out the paperwork. 'Yes', I am legally allowed to posses firearms; no criminal or mental record. And 'No' I'm not a conspiracy theorist. But spend a little while on youtube watching videos like Innocents Betrayed and it's easy to become wary of big brother. Regardless, I have the right to bear arms and I want an AR-15 (and others) while I can still get 'em. WHERE can I get one legally without disclosing my personal information?? HOW can I buy a cash-n-carry firearm at a Gun Show without disclosing my personal information?? PLEASE ADVISE!! :banghead:

concerned_citizen

imported post

No kidding; never thought of that! Any newspaper in particular? Times Picayune?? Any BR papers you recommend? What about buying from individuals in different states? Texas and Mississippi in particular. Paperwork required?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

concerned_citizen wrote:
No kidding; never thought of that! Any newspaper in particular? Times Picayune?? Any BR papers you recommend? What about buying from individuals in different states? Texas and Mississippi in particular. Paperwork required?
See if your local gun store has any books on gun laws. There are several in print. You'll want to know with a high degree of certainty that you are acting lawfully.

aroundlsu

imported post

In Louisiana I can guarantee with 100% certainty you are acting lawfully as long as you mind a few things:

1. The private party transfer must takes place in Louisiana between two Louisiana residents.

2. If are selling to someone else you must not be aware of anything that will prevent the other party from possessing the weapon (felonies, restraining orders, etc)

3. If you are buying from someone else you must be eligible to possess the weapon under Federal Law as if you were buying from a store.

4. The buyer must be 18+. That's right, 18+. The age is 21 if buying from a dealer but only 18 if buying from a private party. Go figure.

A great place to check is our For Sale section at BayouShooter.com There are always dozens of rifles and pistols for sale locally at any moment. Also check the Sporting Goods section in 2theadvocate.com and also the newspaper "The Shopper".

I *highly recommend* Bayoushooter.com for this sort of thing.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

That would work too, as long as you didn't give them the money to buy it, and you're not paying them back at a later date. Now, if you exchanged gifts, that's a different story.

Also, check BayouShooter.com in the classified sections. I've bought a few firearms through face-to-face meetings and filled out no paperwork whatsoever.

concerned_citizen

imported post

Awesome, awesome information. Great advice. That's exactly what I was hoping to find out. Thank you all.
Any comments or experiences regarding cash-n-carry at Gun Shows?
Am I just paranoid does anyone else feel uncomfortable leaving a paper trail on their firearm purchases??

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

A lot of people are like that. I'd expect to run into a lot of people like you at a gun show. All you have to do is ask the booth owner if they do paperwork, if not, then you're good to go.

charlie12

imported post

I've sold a few guns to local people and we would exchange info like name, address, DOB.
I've always been told you must exchange info in LA. I wouldn't sell a gun to someone without know where the gun went incase things went bad later.

aroundlsu

imported post

A guy with a booth at a Gunshow would be a dealer and in violation if he sold you a gun without filling out a Form 4473.

However, the people you see walking around with guns openly displayed are typically individuals trying to sell or trade those guns. You are free to walk up to them, ask if their gun is for sale, and buy it "cash-n-carry".

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

aroundlsu wrote:
A guy with a booth at a Gunshow would be a dealer and in violation if he sold you a gun without filling out a Form 4473.

However, the people you see walking around with guns openly displayed are typically individuals trying to sell or trade those guns. You are free to walk up to them, ask if their gun is for sale, and buy it "cash-n-carry".
Not true. Not every booth is run by a dealer. Many people have their own booths to sell personal items, including WWII relics, and collectibles. The dealers are obvious, and so are the private sellers. But i agree that finding someone walking around with a rifle is a lot easier than finding a personal booth that doesn't do paperwork.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Hell, I've been OC'ing at gun shows and people ask me if my pistol is for sale!
Lucky you that they let you carry a loaded weapon in a gun show. that wouldn't happen down here. No loose ammo, and all weapons must have a zip tie through the barrel/action.