Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conseal or get kicked out of Walmart

Post imported post

As i entered the walmart in my town today (SLC, Utah) i was instant ly asked by 2 security guards to either conseal my fire arm or i would have to leave. the guard asked me if i was a LEO and the after i told him no he then told me to conseal it for the second time or i would have to leave. i asked him if i were to be a LEO then it would be ok to OC but since im not i have to conseal right?!?!?!? so after asking him if there are any sighns posted at the entrances he said "if we were to post signs for everything there would be an awful lot of signs" so since i did have a CWP i did end up tucking my shirt over my firearm ........ he also said that since this store is private property he can ask me to conseal since he wants ppl to have a "Safe" shopping expierience!

so my ? is : are they allowed to make me conseal or kick me out of the store?

Post imported post

Check out the Virginia site and you will find stories on wally world. Here in VA they have had similar experiences that have been settled asap with talking to the manager!

Post imported post

Talk to the manager. Official Wal-Mart policy is to abide by the laws of the state in which the store is located. Local managers are not allowed to override corporate policy. These guys were on ego trips and completely incorrect.

Post imported post

what wal-mart and was it wal-mart security or was it a privet security company if so witch company i have a very good reputation with a few company's around here and if it was a privet security company and one i am in good with i can have a talk with them and get this corrected at lest with the guards but if i was you i would still talk with the manager

Post imported post

Yeah, talk to the manager, This is against Wal-mart's corporate policy.

Post imported post

babystewie wrote:
    what wal-mart and was it wal-mart security or was it a privet security company if so witch company i have a very good reputation with a few company's around here and if it was a privet security company and one i am in good with i can have a talk with them and get this corrected at lest with the guards but if i was you i would still talk with the manager
    Spell Check is not a fit all

Post imported post

I have no problems at the one in Layton, was just there yesterday again.

Post imported post

It would be good to know which location this happened at. We could have a talk with management. Did you happen to get the names of the security personel that you talked with?

Post imported post

it was at the one on 13th S. and 3rd W. the guys were lossprevention from that store i didn't get the names the head guy was a middle 30s poly about 6' and the other guy was like 4'6" lol mexican guy in constant contact with management i guess. it happened about noon to 1 pm on 6/21/08 the store logs could show the ppl on duty. the manager that i called was the assistent mng. by the name of mark.

the thing that bugs me the most is the fact that they told me to "just pull your shirt over it " if i didn't have a CCP i would be breaking the law.

and secondly the ignorance of the ppl working there just f*****g bugs me! i will be on the phone with regional first thing in the morning and update everything that happens ..... IF something happens!

Post imported post

Of all the walmarts in slc, 13 south is the one I want to carry at the most. That place is ghetto!

Post imported post

i agree

Post imported post

babystewie wrote:
    whatwal-martandwasitwal-martsecurityorwasitaprivetsecuritycompanyifsowitch companyihaveaverygoodreputationwithafewcompany'sar oundhereandifitwasa privetsecuritycompanyandoneiamingoodwithicanhaveat alkwiththemandgetthis correctedatlestwiththeguardsbutifiwasyouiwouldstil ltalkwiththemanager
    Fixed it for you, the only grammatical error you missed was leaving out the spaces.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Decoligny wrote:
    babystewie wrote:
    whatwal-martandwasitwal-martsecurityorwasitaprivetsecuritycompanyifsowitch companyihaveaverygoodreputationwithafewcompany'sar oundhereandifitwasa privetsecuritycompanyandoneiamingoodwithicanhaveat alkwiththemandgetthis correctedatlestwiththeguardsbutifiwasyouiwouldstil ltalkwiththemanager
    Fixed it for you, the only grammatical error you missed was leaving out the spaces.

I guess if we were kind, we'd direct him to raise hell with his school system for their failure to provide the information on grammar while collecting tax money to do so.

Basically, he was ripped off.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    xmirage2kx wrote:
    glad somebody caught that :celebrate

Post imported post

Are Loss Prevention really security officers? I would think there was a difference there.
    Charles A. Hall, self-proclaimed Lone Eagle || Carry: Kahr CW40
    Lone Eagle Observer (http://www.charlesahall.us)
    Facebook Page || http://twitter.com/CharlesAHall

Post imported post

Are Loss Prevention really security officers? I would think there was a difference there.

Post imported post

hehe, double tap. I think there is a difference. I don't like the wal-mart loss prevention guys, they stereotype people a lot.

Post imported post

When I read "Loss Prevention" I think they are trying to keep the company they work for from having things stolen and what not. When I read "Security Officer" I believe there is more power behind that (loss prevention AND keeping order).

In my personal opinion as a licensed private security guard I think Loss Prevention Personnel over step their duties and think they are security guards when in fact they are not. But that is just me. Some places it might be both but then I believe they need a license to do it (though I'm not sure).

Post imported post

Are you armed security? I wouldn't get into a job like that unless I were armed.

Post imported post

schwarzi88 wrote:
    the thing that bugs me the most is the fact that they told me to "just pull your shirt over it " if i didn't have a CCP i would be breaking the law.
    Hold on a minute, here. If these guys are security/loss prevention/whatever, while they are on duty, are they not acting under the authority of, or representing, the store manager? If so, and they ask you to conceal, would you not, by extension, have permission of the property owner's representative, and thereby be legal to CC while on the premises?

Something to chew on.......

Post imported post

Yes, licensed armed private security officer.

Post imported post

colormered wrote:
    schwarzi88 wrote:
    Hold on a minute, here. If these guys are security/loss prevention/whatever, while they are on duty, are they not acting under the authority of, or representing, the store manager? If so, and they ask you to conceal, would you not, by extension, have permission of the property owner's representative, and thereby be legal to CC while on the premises?

Something to chew on.......
    I kinda got lost on the second part there. But yes, loss prevention/security act ONLY within their limits set forth by their security company and the client. I have rules from my company I follow and things I do that have been given to me to do by the client I work for. I don't think loss prevention are secruity guards, though. I believe their scope of authority is to get men and women, boys and girls, stealing items from the store. That is their job. A security officer, on the other hand, probably has more authority to ask you to do that because of his position.

But if a LP/SEO is representing the store manager of Wal-Mart and the SM has a policy that is not legal according to Wal-Mart International Policy then them asking you to CC is an illegal request.

SO yeah... but now as I re-read your post I don't think so. I still don't think it is legal to CC on the premises even with permission from the store manager because the store manager is not following Wal-Mart policy which is to go by the state law where the store is located. You really wouldn't have any legal fall back because, lets face it, the LP/SEO/SM will probably lie to keep themselves out of trouble even though we hope they won't.

Post imported post

schwarzi88 wrote:
    it was at the one on 13th S. and 3rd W.
    Take a look at this thread, I was at this Walmart:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/10452.html

Post imported post

schwarzi88 wrote:
    it was at the one on 13th S. and 3rd W. the guys were lossprevention from that store i didn't get the names the head guy was a middle 30s poly about 6' and the other guy was like 4'6" lol mexican guy in constant contact with management i guess. it happened about noon to 1 pm on 6/21/08 the store logs could show the ppl on duty. the manager that i called was the assistent mng. by the name of mark.

and secondly the ignorance of the ppl working there just f*****g bugs me! i will be on the phone with regional first thing in the morning and update everything that happens ..... IF something happens!
    Schwarzi88,

When I worked for a local retail chain the owner asked each of his employees to carry concealed while on duty (unless otherwise prohibited from doing so). This because while on private property, as he explained, the property owner sets the rules.

I'm not a lawyer, but even if you didn't have a CFP, if the property owner (or an agent thereof, which an employee acting in their capacity for the property) tells you to conceal your firearm while on their property, that trumps State Law. Theoretically this would include their parking lot as well. This could also be used to set a precedence at that location, possibly at all locations.

Again, I'm not a lawyer, so if anyone has another opinion, please share!

- www.JoeLevi.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast