• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Gathering in the Springs

AnaxImperator

imported post

Who'd be interested in getting together at the Texas Roadhouse (or similar) for some steaks & a free bucket-o-peanuts after a day shootin' up at Rampart?

Next time I'll have the geld for the gas & ammo is after the 1st, so the 4th would be an excellent time to do it. There'll probably be a LOT of yahoos up at Rampart on the 4th, but almost everyone leaves by 6-7pm. But there's a couple hours of daylight, enough time to cook off some rounds before it gets too dark, and time enough to go catch the fireworks afterwards. Hell, there's a sweet lookout spot about halfway back down Rampart Range Rd. that would make for a great vantage point to see the fireworks.

Besides Texas Roadhouse, I know of a great little BBQ joint in Old Town that's got great food, and outside patio (heated)for us smokers,is very affordable, and is a really laid-back place (I've OC'ed in there before, no worries).

FogRider

imported post

Sounds like a nice motorcycle ride to get there, but I will be running around SE Nebraska with my folks over the fourth. I'm not trying to ruin your plans though, so count me in for a later date.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Hey Anax, make sure to get plenty of video/photos!!! Or better yet, give the Gazette a call and see if they want to cover the event. OCDO has a pretty good media blitz going, one more can't hurt!!!

AnaxImperator

imported post

For those who are 100% sure they want to go shooting & then head out for some food after the fireworks, PM me for my phone# and we'll work out the plan.

EDIT: The owner of the Mason Jar informed me that he is not willing to let us eat dinner at his establishment while open-carrying. His reasoning is not that he's against the 2nd Amendment or carrying handguns, but that he doesn't want usto alarm other patrons by showing up while openly carrying handguns.

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

AnaxImperator wrote:
EDIT: The owner of the Mason Jar informed me that he is not willing to let us eat dinner at his establishment while open-carrying. His reasoning is not that he's against the 2nd Amendment or carrying handguns, but that he doesn't want usto alarm other patrons by showing up while openly carrying handguns.
Like there's a difference? Suppose he didn't want to alarm his other patrons by not allowing a group of black people to dine there?

He's going to offend one group either way but instead he's trying to straddle the line and have it both ways... so piss on him. :cuss:

Fine - add mason jar to the list of "do not patronize"... not that I think much of the food anyway.

AnaxImperator

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
AnaxImperator wrote:
Like there's a difference? Suppose he didn't want to alarm his other patrons by not allowing a group of black people to dine there?

He's going to offend one group either way but instead he's trying to straddle the line and have it both ways... so piss on him. :cuss:

Fine - add mason jar to the list of "do not patronize"... not that I think much of the food anyway.
My thoughts exactly. :banghead:

I would've argued that point, except his assistant manager called me with the news, which is who I talked to initially..... and he had initially informed me that he didn't have any problem with it, and he didn't think theowner would either. Guess he didn't know his boss very well.

So much for"authentic" American country dining. The only time I've been in there, the place was populated solely by blue-hairs andupper-crust Broadmoordenizens with their screaming larvae....

God forbid they be alarmedshould a bunch of normal-looking Americans with openly carried handguns come in for some greasy hamburgers.... the old people might have a heart-attack, the hoity-toity Broadmoorians might assume that we'll be overcome by the urge to mass-murder caused by the handguns, and that their snotty kids will see our pistols and immediatelydecide that it's okay to play with guns & carry them into school.

The assistant manager told me he didn't agree with the owner's decision, that he loves shooting & firearms, and that he tried convincing his boss that it wouldn't be a bad thing and good for business should our OCO group stop in for dinner.

But I betcha a group of hardcore transsexualtransvestites or pipe-hittin' gang-bangerscould walk in, order their food, and eat in complete peace... while one group uses blatantly foul language/ebonics, and the other insists on using the women's bathroom. I guarantee that other patrons would be very offended, but there's no way in f$#%in' hell that they'd be asked to leave, 'cause the ACLU ( or whatever other groups that litigate for poofs & gangbangers) and the presswould be all over the Mason Jar in a heartbeat.

But we're not allowed to excercise our most basic of rights, because it might alarm some suburbanite wankers?

Yep.... and I'm going to do my best to dissuade everyone possible from giving the Mason Jar any business. I know of another place that's gotexcellent food, is right in Old Town, and is OC-friendly. It's just a bit smaller.

AnaxImperator

imported post

Met up with DKB at the Rampart range, and did some shooting with my Mosin Nagant M91/30 & M38, and my Norinco M213 9mm. I had a good time with DKB, and I'm sure his shoulders are a little sore from his first encounter with the Mosin Nagant. :)

Afterwards we headed to Frontrange BBQ for a bite to eat. Again, their food & prices proved to be excellent (I had a very tasty elk w/ swiss & onion burger), and as was the case the first time I ate there, not a word was said about our OC'ing.

I don't think we could've found a better place for an OC dinner here in the Springs.... and the Mason Jar certainly couldn't have matched Frontrange BBQ in price, quality, and speed of service. I heartily recommend the place for all Colorado OCO members.

AnaxImperator

imported post

Anytime OCO members wish to havea meeting here in the Springs (weather permitting), just send out an email/PM to those wantin to attend aweek or two in advance. Frontrange BBQ is an excellent place for the after-dinner (screw the Mason Jar!).

AnaxImperator

imported post

If it's agreeable for most Front Range'rs, we could plan for a monthly OCO member get-together on the first (or first weekend) of every month.

We can alternate shooting ranges; the Rampart range (Free!), Dragonman's range ($8 all-day usage), or the Whistling Pines Gun Club Range ($10 per person guest-pass) on rainy days.

And after our shooting is done, we can head to the Front Range BBQ (if everyone agrees). But if anyone wonders about FRBBQ's quality and OC-friendliness, just ask DKB. When we went it was only his first time eating there, but I gathered that he was impressed. Bryson, what was your evaluation of FRBBQ?

I'm sure there are other resteraunts here in the Springs that may be OC-friendly, but I'd have to call ahead of time to clear it with the management. Or.... we could have a grill-out in one of the parks in Manitou or the Springs.

These get-togethers are family-friendly meetings, so we should keep the profanity to a minimum; keep hands off the handguns, stay non-confrontational with any anti-gun people, and make a good impression on any press-types that show up. If we do have a meeting with more than 10-15 OCO members in attendance, with everyone's permission I'll notify the Colorado Springs Gazette, 970AM WKVOR, and 105.5FM KRDO (News Channel 13). That way we can draw media attention to our cause, and show the public & police that handgun owners who OC are just average law-abiding citizens who exercise our RTKBA.

But the main purpose of out Front Range get-togethers isn't to make a political statement; it's simply to enjoy good company, and possibly send a bunch of rounds downrange. I think it'd be a good opportunity to teach any kiddies that come along proper firearms safety, handling, and reverse some of the anti-gun propaganda that've been pounded into them by the media & public schools.

So whatch'yall think? 1st weekend of the month for our Front Range OCO meetings?

AnaxImperator

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
Now I just gotta get off this weekend midnight shift...:(

Ugh.... I know how that feels.... UntilI joined the Army, I was a 3rd shifter for every job I held prior.

Oh... wait.... then again, even after I joined the Army, I pulled a lot of weekend graveyards. :quirky