Thread: OTH discharge ok to list as firearm training for CWL?

Post imported post

To make a long story short i was in the army for like 6 month's, never got to duty station but passed basic, after that i got hung up as a holdover and ended up getting out with a OTH (other than honorable) discharge. I sent away for my licesne a month ago yesturday and went the DD214 route to skip the ********. On the form it said you could use a DD214 as long as you didnt have a DISHONORABLE discharge. So i should be fine.

Has anyone else done this? and how long does it normally take for the packet to arrive with your plastic?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

An OTH is a "General" discharge. General under other than honorable conditions. There's also Bad Conduct Discharge (aka Big Chicken Dinner), General under honorable conditions, etc.

A Dishonorable discharge in this case isn't about the weapons qualification being "valid" or not, it's about the fact that a Dishonorable discharge carries the civilian meaning of a felony conviction. A Dishonorable discharge will preclude you from even getting a carry permit in every state that issues one.

It may also be a NICS disqual to buy a gun, but I don't know that for certain.

Your OTH is of no issue other than when it comes to qualifying for veteran's benefits (GI Bill, VA loans, etc).

P.S. I have no official capacity on any of this, but used to hang out a lot with the legal officer on my ship.

Post imported post

Thanks bobernet, General sound's alot nicer for me to say than OTH lol.

also, thanks for clearing it up!