• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st leo oc encounter

joelevi

imported post

usSiR wrote:
[...] I hand him the 2 ID's and the UT gun law pamphlet we have on here [...]
I must be blind, but I can't find the pamphlet you're referring to!

Can we put these downloadables somewhere easier to find (I still can't find 'em!), maybe "stickey" them so they're always at the top of the discussions?

- www.JoeLevi.com

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member

joelevi

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
joelevi wrote:
usSiR wrote:
[...] I hand him the 2 ID's and the UT gun law pamphlet we have on here [...]
I must be blind, but I can't find the pamphlet you're referring to!

Can we put these downloadables somewhere easier to find (I still can't find 'em!), maybe "stickey" them so they're always at the top of the discussions?

- http://www.JoeLevi.com
Here

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/11475.html
Awesome! Thanks JaredBelch!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Main Entry:par·tic·u·lar·izePronunciation: pə(r)-ˈti-k(yə-)lə-ˌrīz also pär- Function:verb Inflected Form(s):par·tic·u·lar·ized; par·tic·u·lar·iz·ingDate:1593 transitive verb :to state in detail :specify intransitive verb :to go into details

This might help, too.

In Ornelas vs US the court quotes itself from US vs Cortez. If you follow the link to Cortez in the quote, you find this inCortez:

"Chief Justice Warren, speaking for the Court in Terry v. Ohio, supra, said that

[align=left][t]his demand for specificity in the information upon which police action is predicated is the central teaching of this Court's Fourth Amendment jurisprudence." (internal quotation marks omitted) (emphasis in Cortez; not in Terry).[/align]​

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The opinion inUS vs Cortez is well worth reading.See the link above.

It lays out how a couple Border Patrol agents figured out how to catch a smuggler bringingillegal aliens into the US.Just the facts themselves are worth reading. These guys wererealSherlock Holmes-types.

Theopiniondiscusses howLEO's are permitted todraw reasonable inferences from information obtained, andit shows how the BP agents did that, step by step.

It also discusses briefly at a few points how the information and inferences, on review by a court,must be viewed from the LEO perspective,not someone else to whom the connections might be meaningless.

So, back to particularized. I think particularized is a concept embedded withinreasonable articulable suspicion (RAS). And, over the years, particularized fell out ofuse, theprofession focusing on RAS.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just typed up a letter to send to the director, i'm going to send it out tomorrow.

I'll keep you guys posted if i get a response