• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

S&W for a woman...

Loneviking

imported post

Bravo Sierra wrote:
Second: Look at more options for pistols. I don't know what reason you or many women chose a .38 revolver over an auto-pisol, but if you can drive, operate the gas and break, change the radio station, talk on the phone all while stearing with your elbow and putting on lipstick, I don't see why you cant operate a slide and magazine.
Watch the video you posted. The little girlssemi-auto jammed at least three, possibly four times and in real life, that can get you killed!

I have a Colt 357 that has NEVER jammed a round on me; never stove-piped a round; never FTE'ed a round; never failed to feed because of a 'limp-wrist'; never had the slide refuse to completely close as a ladys' gun next to me on the range repeatedlydid at my CCW class.

It has gone 'bang' every time I've pulled the trigger, and with full house loads it goes 'bang' with a lot more authority than a 9 mm ever thought of doing. I have a wife and two daughters , all of whom agree that they want 38/357 revolvers. They are simple to operate, very powerful caliber and they always fire.

thx997303

imported post

Yep, a lot of those failure drills would not have to be practiced if you used a revolver.

if you watch the others you will see that she had problems racking the slide repeatedly.

MetalChris

imported post

Loneviking wrote:
Bravo Sierra wrote:
Second: Look at more options for pistols. I don't know what reason you or many women chose a .38 revolver over an auto-pisol, but if you can drive, operate the gas and break, change the radio station, talk on the phone all while stearing with your elbow and putting on lipstick, I don't see why you cant operate a slide and magazine.
Watch the video you posted. The little girlssemi-auto jammed at least three, possibly four times and in real life, that can get you killed!
I was thinking the same thing, until I saw this comment:

gixxerguy811's comment on YouTube:
All of the jams are dud training bullets put into the magazines on purpose. So she gets use to what a misfeed is like and how to clear it. If those "tap-caps" were not in there that Glock 19 would have performed perfectly. But thank you for your comments!!!

thx997303

imported post

Still, notice the times where she has to rack the slide multiple times, and that's just to get the slide forward after lock

Carry

imported post

Hope_Full wrote:
I'm new to the site and new to the world of gun ownership. I'm purchasing a Smith and Wesson five-shot .38 special for personal protection.

So my question is, I'm a gentle soul and when I tell friends I'm getting a hand gun they say, "You could never shoot anyone. You're too gentle."

I tell them, "I've given this a lot of thought. This is a huge decision that I'm making here. And I realize that if someone tried to harm my children, I'd shoot them dead in amoment. And then I realized that I am as important as my children."

Anyone else here deal with well-meaning friends and relatives? I'm not the gun-toting type but after about three months of research and reading and thinking, I'm ready.
You are a few steps ahead of me, my friend, since you know what you are purchasing. Congratulations. I look forward to making my selection and going out and practicing with it. I want to be prepared should there ever be a need. It's probably like learning CPR----now when was the last time I had to use it since I learned it? Never. But in this day and age and the news reports I hear of citizens getting robbed, injured, or killed by some criminal makes me think the probability of using a handgun is on the increase.

I've mentioned to a few friends about getting my CHL and they ask, 'Why?' :banghead:
There are some good replies to your post, so I'll get more familiar and able to answer with confidence my reasons for carrying a gun (where allowed). I would like to see other people get protection; perhaps we can be a positive influence.

Hope_Full

imported post

Thanks for all the replies!

The most recent "upset" was my college-age daughter. She feels very strongly that MOM carrying a gun is wrong, wrong, wrong. She's attended a religious school and it's also a very, very, very liberal school. The reason I mention it's a religious school is that it's probably one of the safest (and smallest) campuses in the country. She's had a sheltered life (thank God) and doesn't understand that sometimes, life can be hard.

Thanks again for the responses. They're very helpful.