• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

5 shootings this weekend is Komo 4's lead in story

Dave_pro2a

imported post

On Komo today the lead in story was "5 shootings this weekend!"

It seems to me like the media attention toward gun violence has gotten more pronounced that normal. They are pushing the stories even more than normal.

http://www.komonews.com/news/20640084.html

http://www.komonews.com/news/20640479.html

http://www.komonews.com/news/20641899.html

http://www.komonews.com/news/20639984.html

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/20619639.html

I have the distinct feeling that the MsM and politicos are teaming up ... preparing for anti-gun canidates and laws.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Dave_pro2a wrote:
I have the distinct feeling that the MsM and politicos are teaming up ... preparing for anti-gun canidates and laws.
This is new, How? It's just business as usually for Seattle's Media and especially the TV Media.TV

44Brent

imported post

I don't see any bias or agenda in the articles that were cited above. All I see is reporting of criminal behavior.

Bear 45/70

imported post

44Brent wrote:
I don't see any bias or agenda in the articles that were cited above. All I see is reporting of criminal behavior.
I take then that you believe there is no bias in the media's reporting of the news? At this point, I have to wonder where you have been living because the media has been doingbiased reporting inthis countryfor most of my life time and it isn't about to change. Just the fact that they choose to run 5 items like this as lead stories at his time is biased. Normally if they have tape it is a lead story. Shootings rarely have tape so normally never lead unless there are mass casualties or a cop is shoot.

Bear 45/70

imported post

44Brent wrote:
I take then that you believe there is no bias in the media's reporting of the news? At this point, I have to wonder where you have been living because the media has been doingbiased reporting inthis countryfor most of my life time and it isn't about to change. Just the fact that they choose to run 5 items like this as lead stories at his time is biased. Normally if they have tape it is a lead story. Shootings rarely have tape so normally never lead unless there are mass casualties or a cop is shoot.

Dave_pro2a

imported post

44Brent wrote:

It's not worthy of front page attention, or lead in slot. 28 people have died this 'summer' from drowning, yet that hasn't been front page news. Besides, a few local deaths/crimes don't mean squat in regards to 'news that really matters.'

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Dave_pro2a wrote:
This is new, How? It's just business as usually for Seattle's Media and especially the TV Media.TV

Sure, typical liberal media BS... but ramped up rhetoric and tactics. Close ups of crying mothers. Linking many stories together to make a 'greater' fear impact when there is no 'greater over all pattern (well, except a CONTINUING LOWERING of the crime rate). Reporting that gives impressions actually contrary to facts (see lowering crime rate).

I expect nothing less, and I fear the worse. This'll be used, is being used, to influence the elections (in a subconcious fasion if nothing else).

3/325

imported post

Drownings are mildly interesting, but shootings are friggin sensational. They sell ad space and commercial air time.

"We all know that crap is king, give us dirty laundry."

44Brent

imported post

I take then that you believe there is no bias in the media's reporting of the news? At this point, I have to wonder where you have been living because the media has been doing biased reporting in this country for most of my life time and it isn't about to change.

I have lived in quite a few different parts of the country and have seen biased reporting with an agenda, so I have points of reference with which to compare these stories. Stories with an agenda would have the following elements:
  1. Hysterical quotations from anti-rights groups demanding new laws.
  2. Factual errors.
In other parts of the country you would see factual errors, hysterical quotations, and public pronouncements from politicians about how a "problem needs a solution". I'm sorry, but I don't see that in the above referenced stories.

Just as you and I have 2nd Amendment Rights, the media has 1st Amendment Rights to report the news.

Besides, a few local deaths/crimes don't mean squat in regards to 'news that really matters.'
Deaths matter to me, they matter to the victims, and they matter to the survivors. I am opposed to death inflicted by criminals. That's why I carry - so I don't end up on the front page of the news as being another crime victim.

ducttape2

imported post

"I seen a Mexican with a bullet hole on his side, a gun down," Erickson said. He said the man was in obvious pain.

It's not known whether the violence was gang-related, but police are investigating that possibility.
MS-13?

One neighbor said the people at the soccer game had been to the park before, and they had always seemed to be "decent" people.
Always. I never heard a report where they said the guy was an a--hole!

bayfire66

imported post

Well if they eventually ban guns in this state or make it more restrictive to own them here I will move to idaho,alaska or vermont they seem to be pro gun,I for one am getting sick of this liberal high taxed state myself.They should just ban cars too they kill people why were are at it lets just ban Humans.

44Brent

imported post

sick of this liberal high taxed state myself

Washington has no state income tax, unlike Idaho and Vermont. If your goal is to avoid taxes, you might want to do a little research first.

bayfire66

imported post

Ok gas taxes, property taxes ,sales tax,any other tax that they tack on.I'm not here to argue about this just my opinion.I amtalking more pro gun states that don't hassle people as much about gun rights.

Dave Workman

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
44Brent wrote:

Ahem, but Brent happens to be right. From a reporter's perspective, all five of these are matter-of-fact reports, and they are, after all, NEWS. That is, each incident has all the elements that define it as news.

I do this for a living, and there's not really a hint of bias in these reports that I can see.

I'm not sure why anyone would consider blowing a hole through the wall with a shotgun to be "gun violence," but that's a semantics issue.

As for the old guy killing his son; I cannot imagine anything worse than to have to go through the remainder of your life knowing you have shot dead your own son.

Dave_pro2a

imported post

44Brent wrote:

Washington has no state income tax, unlike Idaho and Vermont. If your goal is to avoid taxes, you might want to do a little research first.

One of the highest gas taxes in the nation. One of the highest SALES tax in the nation.

The only reason we don't have state income tax, is because the state already gets your money.

Also, other states have proper business taxes (on net not GROSS like our dumb ass state).

Research without analysis is meaningless.

aktion

imported post

bayfire66 wrote:
Well if they eventually ban guns in this state or make it more restrictive to own them here I will move to idaho,alaska or vermont they seem to be pro gun,I for one am getting sick of this liberal high taxed state myself.They should just ban cars too they kill people why were are at it lets just ban Humans.
Mayor Nickels is already working hard at decreasing the use of cars. In fact, much of the Seattle and Washington state transportation policy points to this very goal. HOV, mass transit, and bike lanes get funding while increasing overall road capacity is deemed regressive and outdated. I like choices, but not overpriced and illogical ones foisted upon me by someone who takes a limo to work everyday at taxpayer expense.

amlevin

imported post

44Brent wrote:

I think the goal would be to avoid the $ amount of all the taxes. Other states with income taxes manage to not screw their citizens to the extent that Washington does. I would rather pay 5% of my AGI (as I did in Colorado) and then a sales tax of 3% on those Items I choose to purchase than the way WA has done. Washington not only has a 6.5% Sales Tax with local "Option taxes" as high as 2.3% (8.8% total) on everything but Food and Professional Services but how about the "Fees"? Buy a car there is a fee. Sell a house there is a fee. Let us not forget the"fee" for a CPL. But wait, there's more.

Do you own a business here? If so you get the privilege of paying a B&O tax on Gross REVENUE, not PROFIT.

Drive? Wow! We have one of the highest Gas Taxes and almost the top of the list for Crap Highways (and Congestion).

Fees for everything from a Building Permit to Traffic Mitigation, Surface Water Management, etc, plague developers which make houses more expensive.

Let's face it, Washington ranks 16th in the US for State and Local Tax Burden. Where to go? Here is a list of the States and their rank.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/335.html

If AK wasn't so darned cold in the winter it sure would be looking good about now.

As for the original topic, news so gun violence should be complete. It should be reporting whether the participants were legally in possession of guns to begin with. The more the reports did so, the more obvious it would be that merely banning guns wouldn't solve the issue. Back to dealing with the individuals rather than the weapons. Jailing the actors would do more than effectively jailing the guns.

Bear 45/70

imported post

44Brent wrote:
I take then that you believe there is no bias in the media's reporting of the news? At this point, I have to wonder where you have been living because the media has been doing biased reporting in this country for most of my life time and it isn't about to change.

I have lived in quite a few different parts of the country and have seen biased reporting with an agenda, so I have points of reference with which to compare these stories. Stories with an agenda would have the following elements:
  1. Hysterical quotations from anti-rights groups demanding new laws.
  2. Factual errors.
In other parts of the country you would see factual errors, hysterical quotations, and public pronouncements from politicians about how a "problem needs a solution". I'm sorry, but I don't see that in the above referenced stories.

Just as you and I have 2nd Amendment Rights, the media has 1st Amendment Rights to report the news.
The 1st Amendment rights were never intended for the Media, only the citizens and the media aren't citizens, they are a business that have a job to do, not present their personal biases to us. They stole the the 1st Amendment rightsalong the line. As when reporting the news, the media is suppose to report Who, when, what, where, why and be factual. Not slant the reporting to express their own bias and views. That means they are telling lies under the the cover of reporting the news. FYI, I have lived 9 states across this country plus 4 other countries. So how is you perspective on biased news reporting better than mine? Oh yeah and I had a father in law that was a TV news anchorman and a news directer. Probably know more about the business than you too. You really don't understand how the media biases the news do you? They do it with their choice of items to present much more than they do with the real obvious hysterical quote, etc.

antispam540

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
The 1st Amendment rights were never intended for the Media, only the citizens and the media aren't citizens, they are a business that have a job to do, not present their personal biases to us. They stole the the 1st Amendment rightsalong the line. As when reporting the news, the media is suppose to report Who, when, what, where, why and be factual. Not slant the reporting to express their own bias and views. That means they are telling lies under the the cover of reporting the news. FYI, I have lived 9 states across this country plus 4 other countries. So how is you perspective on biased news reporting better than mine? Oh yeah and I had a father in law that was a TV news anchorman and a news directer. Probably know more about the business than you too. You really don't understand how the media biases the news do you? They do it with their choice of items to present much more than they do with the real obvious hysterical quote, etc.
The first 1st-amendment court case involved, essentially, a reporter. He published an article criticizing a governor, which did not go over well. Freedom of speech was upheld, because the journalist proved that everything he said was true. It had nothing to do with whether or not he told the whole story, just that his facts were correct.

The media has every right to free speech that we do, although they are liable for slander/libel AFAIK just like everyone else (well, like any other business/corp). Yes, they provide VERY biased coverage. No, they DON'T give the whole or true story. Is that illegal, no. Is it ethically and morally wrong, yes. Do they care, also no. What can we do about it? I suppose we could start our own AM radio station, just like half the other people trying to tell it like it is, but they always seem to get branded as freaks, or the general public doesn't even know they exist.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

As a media salesman let me inject my two cents...

Media is in the business to make money. They tend to (not always but tend to) reflect the values of their community and viewership. So if you are in a liberal nutjob town and most of their business comes from liberal nutjobs... well you get the picture.

That is why feedback to the media outlet is important so they know what their consumers want from them. If a liberal outlet gets most of their viewers pushing for a different view, they will change. It's all about money, and providing a product that the users want.

I deal with this on a near daily basis...